Rod and Reel combo question???

Hey guys thought I'd throw out a question I've been pondering......what factory store bought combo would you guys recommend for speed jigging? Kinda new at this and was wondering what could be best bang for your buck? Any input would be a huge help

Replies

• PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Ugly jigging stick and a penn battle 7/8000... Best way to start... If u wanna spend more then trevella S and a penn conq.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Prop BlastProp Blast Posts: 375 Officer
    Rick,

No easy answer to the question because it'll depend on size jigs you'll be using and the fish you'll target. Deeper water or water with current will require heavier jigs, which means a heavier set up. targeting large grouper and AJs will require a heavier set up than school sized snapper. Okay?

Now if I had to recommend a "basic" set up for jigging with 2-4oz jigs, I'd go with the Penn Battle 6000 on a Penn Torque jigging rod spooled with 40lbs braid. If I wanted to fish 3-6oz jigs, I'd upgrade to a Battle 8000 spooled with 50lbs braid with an appropriate rod for jigs that heavy. Make sure you match the rod to the weight of the jigs you'll use.

PB
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    x2 on potty's rod recommendations and consider that he is consistently catching monster fish, but as for some other options...

If you want to save a little weight, you can get away with a 5000 or 6000 size battle. You limit yourself a bit because you can't get much more than 300 yards of braid on them depending on the weight. As for an example, a buddy of mine has the battle 5000 and just barely got 300 yards of 50lb braid on the spool. Had he gone 30lb braid, it would fit fine.

The conquer 7000 is actually similar in size to the battle 5000 but don't be mistaken, the conquer is WAY more beefed up for heavier line and has heavier drag.

Since your probably not trying to break the bank, I have been getting by with a Penn Sargus 6000 spooled with 30lb Diamond braid on a shimano trevala jigging rod. I am awaiting the new Penn Spinfisher V as an upgrade. The Sargus has not failed me yet but I'm sure it's a matter of time.

I also haven't had it tested by a giant wahoo like pottymouth...

Tight lines!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • TheProfessorTheProfessor Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I was checking out the Trevala S med-heavy jigging rod at Bass Pro and it seems pretty sweet. Does anybody have any info comparing these to the standard Trevala MH? From the specs it looks like the Trevala S has lower line and lure weight capacity, but its also a way lighter rod.
  • Slickrick22Slickrick22 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks Potty for the advice!

I picked up the PennBtl 7000 like suggested. Talk about beefy!! I'm going to try and stop today or tomorrow and size up some rods and look at a few ugly sticks... Hopefully I'll be set for this weekend!

Thanks again guys this was a huge help!