Blue crabs in Islamorada

Just wondered if any of you know how available blue crabs are in the bait shops around Islamorada this time of the year. I'm going down there the second week of Sept.

Thanks for any info.
Brian

Replies

• action88action88 Posts: 197 Officer
    CaptBrian wrote: »
    Just wondered if any of you know how available blue crabs are in the bait shops around Islamorada this time of the year. I'm going down there the second week of Sept.

Thanks for any info.
    Brian
    Smugglers cove marina mm85.5 bayside snake creek bridge has crabs everyday. 3 bucks ech
    Tackle center mm80 ish bayside. In the parking lot of the loreli has crabs everyday too. Sometimes you have to get there early to get the good males and the size you want
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Capt Brian Gwilliam

www.fishingislamoradaflorida.com
  • zatarazatara Posts: 173 Officer
    Right around the toll gate in Card Sound you have a few places that sell blue crabs,
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 454 Deckhand
    I would get them in Florida City before you get down, they will be about half the price of in the Keys. I get mine at Dons Bait and Tackle, call a few days before and they will reserve them for you. They will live for several days in a 5 gallon bucket with a battery aerator. Crabs in the Keys go for $3-4 each at most places
  • CaptBrianCaptBrian Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    action88 wrote: »
    Smugglers cove marina mm85.5 bayside snake creek bridge has crabs everyday. 3 bucks ech
    Tackle center mm80 ish bayside. In the parking lot of the loreli has crabs everyday too. Sometimes you have to get there early to get the good males and the size you want

Thanks for the info. Since I'm bringing down my boat and equipment (incl. buckets/aerator), I'll try Don's in Florida City first per the tip from PhishingPhanatic.
  • Icecat21Icecat21 Posts: 634 Officer
    I usually just get up earlier that day, or even a day or two before, and walk a shoreline with a dip net. Last time out I had about 2 dozen perfect sized crabs in about 30 min. Maybe a little inconvenient, but saves me some $$$.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,281 Officer
    action88 wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to get there early to get the good males and the size you want

Ok I'll bite:

Why are the males crabs superior to females ?
    Giimoozaabi