miamimittonman Report 70lb Cubera from 8/22/12

My friend sent me this pic on Wednesday of a 70lb cubera he caught in the keys in 48 feet, while commercial yellowtail fishing, they threw a half fresh blue runner, and caught this in plain mid day.IMG_20120821_110309.jpg

Replies

• DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    Wowsers!!! Save the lobster for the table...
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 131 Deckhand
    slob!
  • chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    Wow!
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Thats a biggun for sure...in my opinion...they don't eat well when they get that big!!!
  • Lone DrifterLone Drifter Posts: 639 Officer
    That's one Super Size Snapper ! :hail

Cut bait daytime cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • snooknreds2snooknreds2 Posts: 514 Officer
    Benny, THat is a big fish for sure! Forgive my ignorance here, but what Lb leader was he using for yellow tail that held up to the teeth on that thing?
    A lazy fisherman is a boater!!
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Nice fish
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Benny, THat is a big fish for sure! Forgive my ignorance here, but what Lb leader was he using for yellow tail that held up to the teeth on that thing?

im sure Benny will chime in soon but i am sure they leader was thicker due to the bait they used for it which was half a bluerunner so they were they were targeting bigger fish possibly mutton

thats a big Nasty for sure!
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • big_tbig_t Posts: 588 Officer
    snookyj wrote: »
    Thats a biggun for sure...in my opinion...they don't eat well when they get that big!!!

ciguatera is a consideration as well. nice catch!
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,100 Officer
    These guys are the Best commercial fishermen I know,they have been fishing the keys for a long time on the daily basis,i'm sure that in 48 feet of water, as calm as its been last week, the water was clear enough to see this fish before they attempted to get it and rigged accordingly,they never put down a bottom bait, unless they see a fish worth targeting like a cobia or dolphin or big yellow jack. these fish are sold to the fish markets and this is how they earn a living,I would never attempt to eat a cubera snapper of that size, if its not under 25 lbs i personally would not eat it, thanks for the replies just thought id share this nice catch and of course i asked him before hand, like i accustom to do.Tight lines to all and be safe with this storm coming.by the way to those who have not seen a fried chunk of yellow jack check this outPhoto1418.jpg
  • MoganSlayaMoganSlaya Posts: 131 Officer
    snookyj wrote: »

Man I've kept a couple smaller ones in the 15-20lb range and ended up giving it away. Meat was toooo fatty and not what we like. My wife is spoiled, only eats hogfish, yellatail, swordfish, and lobster.......lol

Nice fish though Benny...I got one about that size a yr or two back, thought I hooked the wreck!!!

Assembly Solutions LLC
    "solving ALL your assembly needs"
    Put down the instructions....and call for a qoute!
    305-815-3886
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,217 Officer
    What a shame
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 657 Officer
    Now that is a fish for the WALL!
  • BobbyhernandezBobbyhernandez Posts: 131 Officer
    Kick freaking ****!!!! Congrats.
  • Lone DrifterLone Drifter Posts: 639 Officer
    :Agree
    Kick freaking ****!!!! Congrats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paspas Posts: 84 Deckhand
    I have caught and eaten a 45 & 55lb cubera with Capt Jim from The Beast and it was absolutely delicious! Some of the best snapper I have ever eaten.