Home Shimano

Shimano Compre v Shimano Teramar

fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
I am in need of a new XH spinning rod for inshore Tarpon, some light offshore fishing like Cobia and kingfish. I have Teramar rods andi love them, but the other day i Felt the Compre XH and it was much lighter than the Teramar, and it has a higher line rating. The guides on the Teramar do look stronger though. I am now Debating between the two, because i know the quality of the Teramars but the Compres look really nice. What do you guys reccomend? How does the warranty on the Compre compare to the Teramars? Whats theups and downs of the two? which one would be better for trowing plugs and spoons to three ounces? Which do you guys recommend?
Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    The rods have the same warranty. The main difference is the materials used in the blank. The Teramar is TC4 which is an inner E glass core wrapped with 4 layers of carbon. The Compre uses IM-9 graphite. This is why the rod is lighter. The Teramar will be slightly stonger because of the construction.
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Doesn't it have a higher line rating? which one is better for throwing lighter baits and which one for heavier baits, or are they about the same? Thanks!!
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    I have both both are great rods although The Teramar has a walk in walk out replacement warranty (@ least at Bass Pro Shops) 2 different BPS tell me the Compre has to be shipped back to Shimano for warranty replacement Correct me if I'm wrong Bantam
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    crap, if that is true then i am definitely getting the Teramar!! i know the Warranty for the Teramar is amazing. It just seems like the Compre was another nice option. Id rather have an extra ounce of rod weight than suffer shipping costs if the rod breaks. Plus the compre is graphite so more fragile and therefore more delicate... Please let me know if this is true about the warranty!
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    fishboy wrote: »
    crap, if that is true then i am definitely getting the Teramar!! i know the Warranty for the Teramar is amazing. It just seems like the Compre was another nice option. Id rather have an extra ounce of rod weight than suffer shipping costs if the rod breaks. Plus the compre is graphite so more fragile and therefore more delicate... Please let me know if this is true about the warranty!

I wouldn't use the compre for a tarpon rod , I believe that XH has single foot guides ,the teramar has double foot guides.Both rods are replaceable at the store.
    The thing is, unless its a popular model the store may not have a replacement on the shelf...Even if they don't, its not that big of a deal to saw it in half and send it back to California.
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    The over the counter warranty is up to the dealer. We cannot force them to participate. I have heard that BPS varies by location. Some will offer it for 30 days, others 90 days, some do not participate...its best to call them first before driving there. We have several independant dealers that participate. If the dealer does not participate then you will need to send the rod to us for warranty replacement.
    Thanks for all the information guys!! i guess then i am going to get the Teramar. Maybe one day i will get the Compre for an inshore rod.