Home Ask the Law!

Ghost Crab & Lobster Pots

IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 342 Deckhand
Would it be legal to harvest ghost traps?

I know you can't harvest what is in them being a man made structure but can the traps themselves be removed?

Seems that it would be best for environment.

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    No, there is 2 weeks out of the year when all traps have to be removed from the water, it is at different times in different zones. This is the time when FWC goes out and removes all the traps that are left in the water and are believed to be abandoned.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    No, there is 2 weeks out of the year when all traps have to be removed from the water, it is at different times in different zones. This is the time when FWC goes out and removes all the traps that are left in the water and are believed to be abandoned.
    Not quite. There are 5 or 6 zones for blue crab traps with each zone being closed individually every other year for a 10 day period. During those 10 days contracted crabbers with FWC observers onboard remove traps, no one other than the contracters can remove said traps without permission from FWC. As FWC only has a few observers we really don't get to all areas, last closure in my area I only had 3 days out of the 10 to retrieve traps.
    We do stone crab and lobster trap retrieval during the off season, I just did a stone crab trap retrieval off of Citrus co. last month.

As far as an individual removing traps it is a 3rd degree felony to molest crab or lobster traps, even lost ones.
    Too many folks in the past have took advantage of "I found it" to steal gear.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    How do you locate ghost traps?? Do you just go looking for them?
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    How do you locate ghost traps?? Do you just go looking for them?
    Find quite a few before a closure by going on low tides and marking them with small corks or on GPS. Get a lot of help from local FWC on their regular patrols as to locations.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.