Humps question...

Ive fished 409 and Islamorada maybe 4 or 5 times and have always had good days (both personal boat and charter)

My question is...do you guys have a preference (409 / Marathon / Islamorada)? Or does it just depend on distance?

Im going to be doing things a little more different this time...going to be renting a boat (a little bigger than mine to be more comfortable) and going out of Marathon. I figure i would try the Marathon hump this time. Any reason why I should stick with my plan or maybe change it? Not a big difference in distance from where I am leaving from.

Any current reports would be much appreciated too....thanks in advance and you can always PM me if thats easier.

-Dan

Replies

• saltygator11saltygator11 Posts: 135 Deckhand
    When will you be leaving for your trip? The weather is going to get ugly fast down there.
    Try and cover as much ground as possible in and outside the rips/humps. I seem to do best further out than the hump in slamorada. Often catch the bigger dolphin 5+ miles from there. Get out early and you'll have a decent chance of picking up a wahoo. Colors that worked best for me this year were green/yellow combo.
  • lwrenlwren Posts: 142 Officer
    Marathon hump is the best
    Thanks Larry
    First Choice Islamorada Fishing Charters
    305-360-4900
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    saltygator, im not going down this weekend...going to fish the afternoon bite in Miami on Friday and then relax the rest of the weekend while the weather gets worse...I'll be going down for the long weekend and i'll def throw a green/yellow skirt on 1 of my ballyhoos, also happen to have a green daisy chain, so i'll throw that out too

lwren, that would've been my guess but i like to ask and see what you guys have to say
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 968 Officer
    I'm sure that many violate the rules, but many of the boat rental companies restrict how far offshore you can go. Best to check with the company before you rent.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
    TeamTeke wrote: »
    I'm sure that many violate the rules, but many of the boat rental companies restrict how far offshore you can go. Best to check with the company before you rent.

Even if it did violate the rules, thats b/w me and the boat rental company. If you don't have any helpful information to post, its probably better to not post anything. Thanks for the great help with my questions :) Classic post completely off topic of what this thread is about :nono

PS - I spoke to the rental company way in advance and went over everything, so you can sleep better tonight knowing I'm not breaking the rules...i appreciate your concern :wink
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Touchy, touchy, touchy! I believe TeamTeke was just trying to offer some helpful advice since he lives in Marathon/KCB.
  • turtle boyturtle boy Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    danmanswag, TeamTeke is one of the nicest, most helpful posters on this forum. I think u should apologize.
  • sal4sal4 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    An apology is in order. This is why most people don't offer help anymore.
    i wasnt going to respond, but i am...and this will be my last response.

If he lives in the area and was trying to help, why not just answer the questions and comment according to the thread?

Instead, sounded like an off topic downer comment saying that he is sure it violates the rules....that wasnt my question or topic...send me a pm if you are so concerned.

Thats it, pretty simple...i wont comment on this thread again as i have received the information i asked for via useful posts and PMs.

Thanks to those who helped, sorry to those who got offended :USA :machinegun
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,016 Moderator
    Vacation Boat Rentals gives you a 25 nm range, which I believe will get you to the Marathon Hump. FWIW, Marathon hump was in the GPS they supplied, so clearly folks have it in in that boat. Also, even if you are outside of the area and have a problem, they'll still come get you, just expect to pay for it. Or if you have SeaTow, just call them.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    danmanswag wrote: »
    i wasnt going to respond, but i am...and this will be my last response.

If he lives in the area and was trying to help, why not just answer the questions and comment according to the thread?

Instead, sounded like an off topic downer comment saying that he is sure it violates the rules....that wasnt my question or topic...send me a pm if you are so concerned.

Thats it, pretty simple...i wont comment on this thread again as i have received the information i asked for via useful posts and PMs.

Thanks to those who helped, sorry to those who got offended :USA :machinegun

There are many posters on this site who know more about the area than you do, and with your attitude, you may not get much help from them. :wink