4th Annual Flamingo to Islamorada Weekend Trip - 2012

Keeping with tradition of having the trip on the same weekend as the Columbus Day Regatta, this year's run from Flamingo to Islamorada is set for the weekend of 10/6.

Departure time from the Flamingo Marina channel is 12:30pm.

Many of us will stay over in Islamorada as in years past. Some of us will be watching the Gators get stomped by LSU Saturday night in Islamorada. Others who wish to run back before dark usually can follow someone familiar with the route.

This is a fun run and anyone who would like to have the GPS route can benefit from the trip.

I'll post the link to last year's thread in a bit.

Updated List of Who's In:

TGunn
Matt (Blue SeaCraft)
Dave T.
Dazigg
Native Floridian
Loco
Copout
FlatsBoy
ButtaPollack/Chad
Jan (iMacattack)
MikeG
Will
Rein Jaakson

From Microskiff Forum:
Bermuda
Matlacha Eric
Tortuga
Shipoke

Replies

• locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    I'm in!

This was a lot of fun last year even with the weather.

Heck I even have a skinny water boat to make the run in! (although not needed IMHO)

Flamingo__Florida_Bay__Florida-18073.png

oh yeah... screw LSU
  • DaziggDazigg Posts: 206 Officer
    In for sure, love this trip every year! Loco, did you sell the Parker? What did you get?
    yup sold the Parker, shes living the life out in Marsh Harbour ...

I found a rocking deal on a 1720 Key west so it will most likely be making this trip... still playing around with the idea to run the bigger boat though... Devil_emoticon.gif

Just to say I did it, not sure I could make the turn at dump key on plane though.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,370 Officer
    I'm in this year!
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,863 Captain
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I'm in this year!

See if Scott will break away from the MBC Klan long enough to come hang out with us.

I propose that for the trip back, Scott and Chad do a Cannonball Run with me and perhaps another Lake and Bay filming them on the GoPro. Somebody is going to want the footage; just a matter of who. . .

Even odds that one of them runs out of fuel on the way back trying run light.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,370 Officer
    He's already taliking about it!
    I want in on that run i know at least i won't be pissing blood!
    loco wrote: »
    yup sold the Parker, shes living the life out in Marsh Harbour ...

I found a rocking deal on a 1720 Key west so it will most likely be making this trip... still playing around with the idea to run the bigger boat though... Devil_emoticon.gif

Just to say I did it, not sure I could make the turn at dump key on plane though.

The Key West would be perfect for the run. Not sure how big your other boat is, but keep an eye on the tides of course.
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    We're in for the weekend and running back Sunday! Also as a reminder, if the weather is chitty again it will be my pleasure to offer shelter to the wimmins!
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
    We're in for the weekend and running back Sunday! Also as a reminder, if the weather is chitty again it will be my pleasure to offer shelter to the wimmins!

Thats quite a sacrifice your making!

I still might be the slowest boat to make the run.... again...
  • Black MaverickBlack Maverick Posts: 104 Officer
    Did it a few years ago when you didn't do it during Columbus Day Regatta, but I can't miss the regatta for this. I'm one of the few sailors who also fish, but the CDR is a big event. Not sure of the thought process on having it on the same weekend???
    Not sure of the thought process on having it on the same weekend???

I try to pick the weekend that has the worst forecast and the highest chance of gale force winds every year; the CDR is really irrelevant to the selection process!!

Hopefully you can make it next year if it isn't the same weekend as the CDR.
    TGunn wrote: »
    I try to pick the weekend that has the worst forecast and the highest chance of gale force winds every year; the CDR is really irrelevant to the selection process!!

Hopefully you can make it next year if it isn't the same weekend as the CDR.

In that case, you've nailed it the last couple of years. Nice job!
    In that case, you've nailed it the last couple of years. Nice job!

Your right, but makes you wonder why it wasn't this weekend!
    Your right, but makes you wonder why it wasn't this weekend!

This weather is not bad enough, needs to be worse than this to qualify. I'm thinking that we will be staying Saturday and Sunday night this year. I'm taking Monday off, gonna enjoy an extra day down there.
    Dazigg wrote: »
    This weather is not bad enough, needs to be worse than this to qualify. I'm thinking that we will be staying Saturday and Sunday night this year. I'm taking Monday off, gonna enjoy an extra day down there.

Sue and I are doing the same...

She's been shopping for fowl weather gear since last year!
    Sue and I are doing the same...

She's been shopping for fowl weather gear since last year!

Nice! Lindsay is making the run this year as well. Gonna try and get a place at Chesapeake. Great dockage there.
    Why would I have schedulued it for this weekend? They kept saying they weren't even sure if this thing was going to be a hurricane or not; I'm not going to sell you guys short.

I have it on good info that 10/6 is going to be a Cat 2 hurricane or better; can't wait!!
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Wife is showing some interest. :crossed
    I've been showing her last years pics/videos & some of the hotels.
    Where's the majority going to book?
    What time do you guys head back on Sunday?
    Not that I'm ever in a hurry to leave the keys but our little one will be in Pompano with the MIL & I'll need to figure out what time we'd get her.
    Not that I'm ever in a hurry to leave the keys but our little one will be in Pompano with the MIL & I'll need to figure out what time we'd get her.

The last few years, we've left somewhere between 10-11am. Usually hit Robbie's for breakfast and then head for Flamingo. I think I'm usually back in Lauderdale around 4-5pm.
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Wife just scheduled us to be on Little Torch Key for that weekend for the BIG 14. She is going to hit it out of the park come next year for 15 years of being married to me.

Ryan,
    Get your a$$ on board... first round is on me...
  • mavemave Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    is woodys gonna have the game on
    I'm sure there will be plenty of games going on at Woody's.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    In with the Wifey (Broken Arrow).

If Chesapeake has the space, we'll probably be there.

With the wife 'in', the chances of bathroom brawls at Woody's is likely out of the question, Tommy....sorry!
    TGunn wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be plenty of games going on at Woody's.
    • Spot the ****(s)
    • Real or fake (dental edition)
    • Name that open sore
    • Fire code violation or "atmosphere"
    Any thoughts on the landing spot for this year? I thought Hog Heaven was a good call. We go there whenever we are down that way. Island Grill is much better food, but dockage might be an issue if anyone else is there besides us. Smugglers has finally reopened after their remodeling efforts. OV is good also, but limited dockage...could always raft off I guess. World Wide has plenty of dockage and of course there is the Lorelie as we did year before last. Doesn't make a rats **** to me where we go.
    On second thought I don't think dockage will be an issue at all. Not the way Tommy carefully schedules this trip around optimum weather. The docks should be empty.
    Any thoughts on the landing spot for this year? I thought Hog Heaven was a good call. We go there whenever we are down that way. Island Grill is much better food, but dockage might be an issue if anyone else is there besides us. Smugglers has finally reopened after their remodeling efforts. OV is good also, but limited dockage...could always raft off I guess. World Wide has plenty of dockage and of course there is the Lorelie as we did year before last. Doesn't make a rats **** to me where we go.
    On second thought I don't think dockage will be an issue at all. Not the way Tommy carefully schedules this trip around optimum weather. The docks should be empty.

My vote is for Loreli if the weather is nice, then a raft up on the sandbar! If the weather is bad, then Hog Heaven is great. BUT, I've made an executive decision with weather gods, it's going to be picturesque beautiful for this years run. SANDBAR RAFT UP WILL HAPPEN!
    Dazigg wrote: »
    My vote is for Loreli if the weather is nice, then a raft up on the sandbar! If the weather is bad, then Hog Heaven is great. BUT, I've made an executive decision with weather gods, it's going to be picturesque beautiful for this years run. SANDBAR RAFT UP WILL HAPPEN!

I had just planned on going in whichever direction the waterspouts take us.