North Key Largo 8/17/2012

went south on friday night (8/17/2012) to bottom fish. thought we might have a good night since there was no moon. set up in 89 feet at the first spot and the current was ripping, causing our chum bags to surf. could not raise any yellow tails and caught a small shark and kingfish cut off at the boat. nothing of value.

we moved shallower to about 65 feet and there was absolutely no current. zero current. chum would sink straight down. caught a few gogs hanging around the boat and put one down and caught this very nice mutton (12# on digital scale). that was the only fish of any value we caught that night.

moved again to about 75 feet and again the current was ripping. could not keep the bait on the bottom and could not get the yellow tails up. frustrating night.

any suggestions would be very welcome. thanks in advance. here's the pic, caught and then served.

Replies

• waterboywaterboy Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Usually a move N., or S 1-2 miles you will find the right current.
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,104 Officer
    Alacrity,depth that works right for me in that area is 50-60ft. Same scenario happened to me on Tuesday night. Current was ripping deep and dead shallow. We ended up finding them in 55 ft.
  • BobbyhernandezBobbyhernandez Posts: 131 Officer
    That's all it takes right there. I'll take that over 10 Yellowtail.

Great job.
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Nice job Rafael
  • Reporte de PescaReporte de Pesca Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Nice catch and great job on making good use of those goggle eyes.

About the current, it seems to me like if there was some kind of rip that was slowly heading in, first at 89 feet strong current but dead at 65, then at 75 strong again, Im sure if more time had passed you would have experienced the same at 65ft later on. But yeah, that will frustrate anyone, like waterboy said move from the area a few miles until you find the right one for the type of fishing your doing.

RDP.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,664 Captain
    thanks. might head out again at night before the storm comes this way.