Delivery With a Twist

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
For those that follow, you know ol Compleat is in some deep doo doo with the boats I have run for the last five or so years. Boss went belly up, they are for sale and I'm scambling taking any work I can find trying desperately to keep the roof over my head and kid in college.
I accepted a delivery job that I never would normally consider. A 34 foot Boston Whaler that has been sitting pretty much idle for 12 years. It was brought by her new owner and his friend from west coast of Florida to east where I would join the owner and take it north to Jersey. A four hundred gallon fuel tank on back deck was first thing that signalled this was going to be a long trip. She carries light on fuel and burns way more than a boat that size should so we would need the tank if we hoped to make Jersey any time quick.
Next thing that caught my eye was no chips for the gps. The back up had a fried screen and not a chart in sight of any kind. Lucky I had at least had the foresight to bring at least an intercoastal kit that covered to at least norfolk.
Off we went... Made St. Augustine where we fueled and hit the slip before a way violent thunderstorm pounded us.
Next morn I had just throttled up when we heard a "bang" from under the deck. We opened the hatch to see what it might be. It was the starboard engine belt and that meant while we were looking we not only lost alternator but cooling pump as well. It had only been seconds but before I could throttle her back temp had shot up and we blew the cooling hose on her. Four gallons of superheated coolant let fly all at once!!! It hurt but not quite bad enough to warrant medical attention. We returned to port, made repairs and took off again. The late start put us at Charleston late.
Early off the dock again toward Morehead City. Along the way the new owner brought up that he wanted to fish along the way. I know the route and know that no real place for that leg would be in the line. He was really in a funk. At Morehead we fueled around sundown. He begged to continue north to find some place to fish. I had to pull rank and point out doing the outer banks in the dark would be insane and the answer was no...
Next morn we blew out early. Along the way I showed him "crazy rough" water breaking bad over shoals not on charts and with no chips we would have really been in a bind in the dark. I pulled up to Diamond shoals to see if we could pop a cobia or amberjack. Things looked right but about a hundred hitless casts told us to move on. Next stop was the "Point". We trolled with only a sail (on plastic) and small blackfin for our efforts. I had planned to pull the plug and get up to Rudee before dark. He had tasted blood and begged for a different plan and wanted to fish in the night someplace.
We dashed into Oregon Inlet. I hate that spot with a passion. Add the wakes from dozens of big sleds coming in from Pirates Cove tourney throwing our slow maneuvering wallowing beast around and it was white knuckle all the way to the center. As others washed up and prepared for dinner we fueled and blew back out the same hellish inlet we had just came in through.
With just glimmers of light left we got to and trolled the tip of the Norfolk Canyon. Not a sniff. At least our radar was good so we ran in the pitch black to the tip of the Washington Canyon. I know that area well and even though they don't use reflectors on the balls we found one with a flashlight in now pretty sloppy 4 foot tight slop to tie on. We slung chunks and chum through the night. Squid, dolphins, flyingfish were thick but again we drew no bite.
First light we got on the troll in now really sporty conditions. I had "other place envy" as I listened to weather radio talking about 6 to 10 knots and two foot elsewhere . We had 20 knots, 5 foot and real tight. We banged the canyon tip hard without seeing so much as a bird. Finally trolled north out of it and on the 40 line mister white showed up... Yayyy.... Owner enjoyed but wanted meat fish. Too tired to stay awake longer tho he had to power nap an hour. Second white while he slept... He got up and we missed a tuna bite then missed another white. It was time to go.
Six hours later we cleared Barnegat which I still don't know how we found in poor visibility and "guessed numbers" . We slid into his Forked River slip and got the lines on just as the heavens opened up with another bad thunderstorm. All in all it was a good trip didn't catch a lot but nobody can say we didn't try... :)

Replies

• dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Wow, sounds like quite the adventure, I don't envy you taking that job. Glad you made it.
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    It takes 500 gallons of steam to launch a 60,000 pound fighter jet off a short strip from 0-160 mph... It might have only been 4 gallons of superheated coolant steam that released from this hole but against my 160 pound frame, it was kinda special... I didn't need all that skin any way...

misc_12_001.jpg

Nothing builds up confidence after an explosion like having an extra few hundred gallon tank a few feet behind you...

misc_12_005.jpg

Go ahead read it! Yeah go on... This was the screen on my multi function display for 1200 fun fun fun miles... Now you might have a better understanding why I caved in and ran that last night through the norfolk and washington canyons... At least in the dark you could kinda read it... :)

misc_12_004.jpg
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 955 Officer
    A tough job. But why not insist that the chartplotter be fixed for the trip and chips supplied?
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    It was a take it or leave it thing and with kid in college with housing fees due I really had no choice. I'm old school having grown up with paper charts, a compass and a clock so it was kind of fun getting back to that some what. The other multi function worked for some functions but one screen at a time and act of congress to switch between. Boat wallowed real bad in following sea the whole way. Auto pilot had miserable time tracking so did a lot of trip manual. To change screens on the working unit took like a minute or slightly more (depending on screen you want) to go through steps and in that time you could really get off course.
    The bad screen you coud kind of see at night so wasn't too bad then. Popped up radar on good one (that worked well after some dialing in) and nav functions on the other.