Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

West Palm Beach Visit, Take me fishing?

IraflyIrafly Posts: 10 Greenhorn
I'll be visiting the West Palm Beach area from August 15th-21st. I can fish anyday but the 21st at this poing. I've fished the area around Peanut Island from a Kayak in the past and I've been out with Capt. Scott as well but finances this trip don't allow for a guided trip.

I'm not a fish snob, I'd be game for fresh or salt water, intercoastal or open water, bluegill or peackocks, jacks or sails. I'm willing to pay for gas/beer/lunch/ice. I'll have my own gear from 6 weights up to a 12 weight and lines to match.

I'm a friendly guy, you can check my posts on Washingtonflyfishing.com to confirm, or you could PM your number and I'll give you a call.

If you're not up for taking me yourself, I'm also open to any pointers or tips for the area from foot or car.

Thanks in advance,

Ira..

Replies

• hobematthobematt Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Ira, can't take you but there are a bunch of areas that can be waded on the ocean side or river side if you have the ability to drive a little north. I can tell you some specific spots from Hobe Sound to Ft. Pierce if you are interested.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
    If the winds are light, should be some great snook fishing on the beaches of MacArthur State Park, and quite likely other access points as well. Walk and watch for fish right along the shore. Throw a white Clouser, Deceiver or other streamer on a No. 1 or 2 hook.

If ya got heavy spinning gear, the Juno and Lake Worth piers sometimes see outrageous action on false albacore right around sunrise. . . Throw big topwater plugs and hang on!

August 2011 issue of Florida Sportsman will be out any day now... got a great feature article on fly fishing for spotted seatrout (that's me on page 45). If you read that piece, by Capt. Mike Conner, you could rock the trout anywhere along the Indian River Lagoon: Riverside Park in Jensen Beach, Walton Rd. on Indian River Drive (west side of lagoon), etc.
    Jeff Weakley
  • IraflyIrafly Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Thanks! I knew that this trip I would be doing quite a bit more exploring by foot. I may also rent a kayak which might open up some fun as well.

hobematt, I'll PM you for more info.

Ira..
    hobematt wrote: »
    Ira, can't take you but there are a bunch of areas that can be waded on the ocean side or river side if you have the ability to drive a little north. I can tell you some specific spots from Hobe Sound to Ft. Pierce if you are interested.

PM sent. Looks like I'll have an opportunity to hit some snook from the beach, but I'll be happy with anything that bites a fly.

Ira..
  • hobematthobematt Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Did you end up getting out to any the spots we talked about? Any luck?
    Took my new neighbor who had never fished salt before out to the beach by the house and he landed this nice Snook (we also caught some smaller ones)
    Nice fish!

The timing on your reply is funny, did you see my post about fishing with Martin Bowers?

I ended up with one day that I realistically could have headed out in the morning after fishing two days with Martin but I set my alarm for PM versus AM. After waking up well past sunrise, I just spent time fishing the inlet by where I was staying and the beach there as well. I fished toward several small cuda and some large needles and hawg fish, but other than the needles (which fight well untill they come unbuttoned) they ignored my offerings until a very large (30-40 lbs range) cuda showed up out of nowhere, took my fly and then promptly wrapped my fly line up around the rocks at the inlet and broke the first inch or so of my line off. From there I hooked up a Sabiki rig on my fly rod and I caught a lot of little Jack type fish and some Seargent Majors with the intent originally of hooking one up and using it as bait but they were kinda fun on there own so I never got around to it.

Latter that day I hit the beach infront of the condo after seeing two large Jacks cruising the surf line. By the time I brought my gear down, they were long gone but there was enough bait in the area to keep smaller jacks and some blue runners around as well as more needle fish. The jacks and runners would travel in groups of 6 to 8 crashing the bait up onto the beach. I hooked up three times with those fish but only ended up landing one runner (which until later at the Juno fishing peer, I mistook for a jack). I also hooked up with a few needles but only ended up landing one of those.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ira..