Home Egret Boats

Pro XS efficiency

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Then i guess your not crazy!
    To bad the older hull were heavier and not as efficent as the newer ones but they are solid as a tank!
    Just for ****s & giggles you may like to see my speed test video!:grin
    I may be crazy but my boat does 60+!
    That was running my Raker II 21 pitch 3 blade Mark Croxton (prop guru) Special!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-E5xxtQZvw&feature=plcp
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I bought a new Ultima 4 15P (they dont produce a 16) today to test out vs the others I have. I may have to take take it up to 16.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    From a different point of view, what else could you do? The Etec, F150 and certainly the Zuke are without a doubt "slower" motors than the Pro. Maybe twins?
    Twins with dual rotating props!
    Great combo!
    From a different point of view, what else could you do? The Etec, F150 and certainly the Zuke are without a doubt "slower" motors than the Pro. Maybe twins?

Going 60 mph is not important to me. 90% of the time I am cruising around at 20 to 40, but after going through all the renovation and new engine etc., if I could find a 4 blade prop for my boat that could achieve 60 instead of 52 I would just to have it perfectly dialed in. I just got the Ultima4 15p and will see how that goes. Sounds a little scary but we will see. Maybe one more experiment after that and then I give up on buying alternate props.
    I hear you. The whole week in the Keys my favorite speed was 27mph sipping fuel and enjoying the sights.
    Going 60 mph is not important to me. 90% of the time I am cruising around at 20 to 40, but after going through all the renovation and new engine etc., if I could find a 4 blade prop for my boat that could achieve 60 instead of 52 I would just to have it perfectly dialed in. I just got the Ultima4 15p and will see how that goes. Sounds a little scary but we will see. Maybe one more experiment after that and then I give up on buying alternate props.

Will Never Happen! -32% slip

15p.jpg

Does Happen! 1% slip

21p.jpg
    The ultima is not a merc propeller and the pitch is only part of the equation that ultimately results in the overall performance of a particular prop selected. Thus, that slip calculator can be very misleading. It's just a static formula based on 5 variables of which only one variable has anything to do with the actual propeller itself. Just the fact that in my case going with the lower pitch (and according to that calculator higher slip) results in higher rmps and more speed is clear evidence it is not the end of the story when choosing a prop. I think it sort of ridiculous for them to even post that thing as it may be misleading for many readers. If they had a custom spreadsheet that factored in all of the appropriate factors for each specific prop they make, then it would be very meaningful. As it is, you could get the same slip result when comparing two 20 p props with one having 1/2 of the cup of the other, totally different blade geometry and surface area, 1/2 of the rake, different number of blades and even a different diameter. I mean come on - that is a nearly useless tool in its current form. It tells you very little if you are trying to guage how two different props with varying design characteristics are going to perform on your boat.
    I find them to be very accurate. Generally if you have two props with same pitch but different cup, one of the five variables is impacted. In the case of this example, the prop with more cup will not be able to turn as much RPMs, so better slip numbers, lower top end. I know that Marcus at Power Tech uses the tool extensively. I wish you luck, but there is NO WAY a 16 pitch will push the 'Gret anywhere near 60. It will struggle to get 50.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see the results.

FWIW, I use this one along with some good general info when I was propping our bass boats and to a lesser degree my flats rigs:

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    I had an older 2002 CK Egret with a 200 HPDi and the only timei got to 60 was with an Enertia 22 with a JP. But the boat could porpoise if the load was not balanced. I took the JP off and could not get more than 58 with the same prop. The best prop for me was a Yamha 21 Pro. I had a 19 Ultimate and it ran even with the 21 Pro up to about 5200 and the 21 was faster. The older boats are definitely heavier it is what it is. Glenn don't know if you can put a Yamaha proponent your motor but I think you would like it.
    Good news is the older boats would survive a nuclear holocaust.
    I find them to be very accurate. Generally if you have two props with same pitch but different cup, one of the five variables is impacted. In the case of this example, the prop with more cup will not be able to turn as much RPMs, so better slip numbers, lower top end. I know that Marcus at Power Tech uses the tool extensively. I wish you luck, but there is NO WAY a 16 pitch will push the 'Gret anywhere near 60. It will struggle to get 50.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see the results.

FWIW, I use this one along with some good general info when I was propping our bass boats and to a lesser degree my flats rigs:

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

Exactly!
    Feel free to show me some video of your rig doing 60 or even close to 55 or 56 with a 15 or 16 pitch prop! Never going to happen keep smokin!
  • SpookSpook Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Good news is the older boats would survive a nuclear holocaust.

I know my old boat is around your neck of the woods and am sure she is running fine.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Not sure Tiger. Apples to oranges, but two boats ago I had an 18'5 Master Angler with the Yami F150. Fuel economy was not near as good as my Egret with the Opti. Still, I really liked that motor too. Truth told, when Yamaha makes a 175 SHO, I think that will be the motor for the 18'9.

If yamaha had the 175 sho, I'd buy one today. They are missing a huge market....
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I'll be interested to see if Merc comes to market with a 175 4s like the new 150. That might be a winner.
    I'll be interested to see if Merc comes to market with a 175 4s like the new 150. That might be a winner.

Talking about speed!
    How's the rocket ship 189 doing?
    I bet your boat being a older one breaks 60 or 70+
  • Reel nutReel nut Posts: 32 Deckhand

I'm waiting on this one too....if not might just have to do the 200 and be done.

...and yes, flatsboy, McCole's does well over 70, he's caused me to "pucker" a couple of times on it.
    Reel nut wrote: »
    I'm waiting on this one too....if not might just have to do the 200 and be done.

...and yes, flatsboy, McCole's does well over 70, he's caused me to "pucker" a couple of times on it.

Sweet!
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Mine runs great. Nothing like owning a boat that makes your heat skip a beat every time you see her.

It's all good except the blown seal on my Power-Pole from this past weekend.
    I still need to ride on that beast !
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Exactly!
    Feel free to show me some video of your rig doing 60 or even close to 55 or 56 with a 15 or 16 pitch prop! Never going to happen keep smokin!

So i have not heard any feedback from the 15 or 16 Ultima pitch 4 blade prop what was the final numbers?:shrug
    I'm also testing a new secret 3 blade built for me and so far it is showing amazing speed numbers and fuel economy for it's pitch!
    A few privileged Egret owners know what prop this is and and will be available soon as i do the final tweaking on the blade cupping!
    A full write up will follow shortly!
    :wink
  • Lunch time crowdLunch time crowd Posts: 97 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I'm also testing a new secret 3 blade built for me and so far it is showing amazing speed numbers and fuel economy for it's pitch!
    A few privileged Egret owners know what prop this is and and will be available soon as i do the final tweaking on the blade cupping!
    A full write up will follow shortly!
    :wink

Nice to know that Egret is again working on Secret Stuff, kinda like Area 51...just that here the secret gets out.:huh Wonder if I can get a secret prop and Egret decals for my boat. Then I'll be in the Egret clan for SURE!:grin Egret Tournament here I come.... That is if someone will invite me and my Hewes? Don't worry one day I'll get me one of them bird boats.

Talking about bird boats did you guys notice that the Egret logo looks kinda like the Skipoke Boats logo. http://shipokeboats.com/ I wonder if they are owned by Frank.
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    No you can not get a secret prop, cause it would no longer be a secret. The weight alone of the decals would cause your Hewes to squat in the rear. One day you will own an Egret and you will be happy. Not sure about Frank owning Skipoke, get back with you on that.:cool
    I have it on good sources that the Shipoke created their logo in the image of Egret out of respect for it's quality design and reputation. Really.
    Talking about bird boats did you guys notice that the Egret logo looks kinda like the Skipoke Boats logo.QUOTE]

The Original Egret Logo looks like an Egret and bears little resemblance the Shipoke Logo other than Shipoke also appears to use an Egret image.
    The new Egret Logo clearly looks nothing like the Shipoke logo. But it is a hybrid of two others established logos:

Lamborghini-logo-psd50848.png
    +
    -1.jpg
    =
    egretlogo.jpg
    Precisely why I spec'd a "classic" logo on my boat. Also scored several of the last classic logo T-shirts I stashed in the vault for future generations. Sorry Frank...don't like the Pelican.

Kinda reminds me of this dancing donkey, but as a sleeping Pelican:
    century_boats_logo.gif

What was this thread about any way?
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Somehting about how fast my motor is, and lunchtime does not have one and he feels sad. What does it take to stir this pot anyway?:spin..............Miss the old days..
    Me thinks Lunchtime used to have a different logo too.:wink
    I bought a new Ultima 4 15P (they dont produce a 16) today to test out vs the others I have. I may have to take take it up to 16.

Heck with all the logo stuff!
    The more important question is how did the 15 pitch Utima peform!
    Wanted to know if your results from your prop guy (Halls) in Orlando recommendation.Wanted to see if a 15 pitch prop broke the speed record.
    My guess is you didn't break 50 mph