Hotel and marina suggestions in Canaveral area

Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
Heading back from West End to St. Augustine. Had planned to leave Sunday but may wait until Monday, due to weather. Depending on seas and weather we may not be able to make the whole run in one day, so I'm looking for suggestions of where we might stay in the general Canaveral area. Either leave the boat near the Canaveral Inlet and cab (I presume) to hotel or run up the Intracoastal from Ft. Pierce to somewhere close to Canaveral so we can pop out Tuesday morning and run home. I have my wife and 2 kids with me so I'm looking for something clean and comfortable, with convenient food close by and somewhere safe and secure to leave the boat. Thanks.

Replies

• samrhsamrh Little HollywoodPosts: 30 Greenhorn
    Hey CM,

I'm not sure about Cape but I live in Sebastian and we have a great place on the water call Captain Hiram's. They have boat slips and rooms on the water or right across the street. You could come in Sebastian Inlet or up the ICW from the south. Its just inside the inlet to the south on the western side of the intercoastal. Check'em out on the web.

Where are you crossing from?
  • Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
    samrh wrote: »
    Hey CM,

I'm not sure about Cape but I live in Sebastian and we have a great place on the water call Captain Hiram's. They have boat slips and rooms on the water or right across the street. You could come in Sebastian Inlet or up the ICW from the south. Its just inside the inlet to the south on the western side of the intercoastal. Check'em out on the web.

Where are you crossing from?

Sam- You're the second person to suggest that place. Crossing from West End monday morning. I've never gone in Sebastian before, and have heard it can be tricky. Then again, I'm from St. Augustine and our Inlet isn't fondly regarded, either. Any local knowledge you can share on going in Sebastian (other than following another boat who hopefully knows what they are doing)? Thanks.
  • samrhsamrh Little HollywoodPosts: 30 Greenhorn
    Hey CM,
    Sebastian Inlet is not nearly as difficult as St. Augustine except with a strong outgoing and a strong easterly wind usually happening in the winter time. We do have a sand bar at 4-6 ft. depth just three hundred yards SE of the south jetty that the local surfers call " Monster Hole ". IF the tide is outgoing you can see it breaking from a mile away. Just make your approach from the east or a little north of east at all will be ok. Once inside the jetties just follow the channel markers to the ICW. Its a straight shot.
    The family and I were at West End last weekend and we stayed at OBB. If your coming from there maybe I could ask for a favor?
    If it works out I buy the first round at Hiram's.
    PM me and let me know if your passing that way and can help.
    Thanks,
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Check with Captain Hiram's in Sebastian. It is right next to the inlet. You shouldn't have any problems navigating the inlet. They were dredging it recently, so there might be construction equipment thought the channel.
  • Cajun MartyniCajun Martyni Posts: 57 Deckhand
    PM sent. I am leaving pretty early from Blue Marlin Cove, and hoping to go straight to St. Augustine. If the weather blocks us I was looking at Sebastian as a safety valve. Glad to help if I can.
    samrh wrote: »
    Hey CM,
    Sebastian Inlet is not nearly as difficult as St. Augustine except with a strong outgoing and a strong easterly wind usually happening in the winter time. We do have a sand bar at 4-6 ft. depth just three hundred yards SE of the south jetty that the local surfers call " Monster Hole ". IF the tide is outgoing you can see it breaking from a mile away. Just make your approach from the east or a little north of east at all will be ok. Once inside the jetties just follow the channel markers to the ICW. Its a straight shot.
    The family and I were at West End last weekend and we stayed at OBB. If your coming from there maybe I could ask for a favor?
    If it works out I buy the first round at Hiram's.
    PM me and let me know if your passing that way and can help.
    Thanks,