Home Egret Boats

Fuel Management Option?

91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
As expected. the price of my current 189 build keeps going up because I keep adding items to the list.

One option I was wondering about is the Fuel Management Option. Is that something most of you have and if so would you get it again?

With 56 gallons of fuel and a 4 stroke, I don't picture myself nervous about range even on my mega long glades backcountry runs. I assume this is just a mega accurate fuel consumption calculator that will tell you how many gallons per hour you are consuming while running, allowing you to find a sweet spot for fuel usage. Honestly even with the high price of fuel, I don't think I care much about that since I'm not on the water all that often. If I was a charter boat captain, it would be very different if I was trying to maximize my usage on a daily basis.

I just want to make sure it's not something I am really missing out on if I don't get it.

Thanks.

Replies

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    I simply use my garmin 740S. With the NEMA hookup to the Merc, it gives me GPH, or as I prefer MPG displayed on the screen. With the Garmin, you can arrange propulsion monitoring options as you choose in the margin. So nice that I leave my Merc gauge covered at all times. I have from top to bottom, RPM, speed, MPG, temp and depth if memory serves.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I don't know what a NEMA hook up is but it sounds pretty cool. I will be using a Lowrance HDS unit which should have the same capabilities as the Garmin. Can you do the "NEMA hookup" on a Yamaha F150? Sounds like I need to do some Google searches on NEMA.

Thanks.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    You may need the Yamaha gateway to link into the network for N2 to display on the lowrance unit.I'm sure you will have the command link yamaha gauge with the motor on the console so you may be able to connect to the motor that way with the nema cable.Ask Frank he'll know i'm sure he has done this already.He will most likley have it set up that way already.
    Then you will be able to set your fuel tank info in the lowrance and see your fuel usage and add as needed.Like poleposition stated i just use my Garmin 740 for fuel usage never bother to look at the merc gauge.I add fuel when needed and it very accurate.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Not sure what the fuel mgmt option costs but I just have a regular non digital fuel guage and I have never run out of gas in 15 yrs of running an 18 with a 175 and that includes the old EFI gas hog as well as the newer pro xs. And I do plenty of long back country runs.
    If you fish flats a lot and plan to fish and run in water that is often 3' or less, I would not get the four stroke. It's a hell of a lot quieter granted, but the extra 60 lbs hanging off the back makes a difference on the draft. Don't expect to easily float around in a foot, particularly if you have a load of gear and gas. I fish shallow a lot and have had to get out and push many times to get back floating. Sometimes just getting the labrador or one person off is the difference between moving or being stuck. That extra weight on the back is critical as you can't unload that.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    :cool:
    91tiger wrote: »
    As expected. the price of my current 189 build keeps going up because I keep adding items to the list.

Yes, those options do add up,better to do it on the build instead of later. :cool:

I did get fuel management because I don't run with the GPS all the time.
    I also don't run w/ the 56 gallon load unless I have too.
    1/2 tank is more than enough for a day of running and gunning.
    Depends on refueling options and I'm only using rec 90, so if it's a problem I'll load all the way up.
    The gauge is very accurate.
    $550. Decisions, decisons.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Ok, I am more confused than before. Flatwater, is the Fuel Management that you have a separate gauge from your engine gauges? Flatsboy, I did some reading on the Command Link gauge and it looks like Fuel Management is a standard feature on the gauge. It also looks very easy to network in the Lowrance HDS if you have command link. If this is the case, why pay the $550 for Fuel Management if it's already integral in the gauge. I feel like I am missing a critical component that must be purchased to link all of this together.

I will give Frank a call tomorrow and get him to explain it to me.
    You don't need the seperate fuel management system.Yes the gauge will tell you your burn.But having it hooked up to the Lowrance via Nema 2000 will give you the most accurate results. Being connected to the gps will give you your reading on the screen.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    actually... i never use my Garmin for fuel since you have to reset whats in your tank all the time. I think getting NMEA is worth a few extra bucks but I find that my Smartcraft (fuel management) does a much better job. For the average guy like me... meaning not a capt thats on the boat all the time its nice having something do the match for you. When I'm running the beach and have under half a tank it's nice knowing how many miles I have.

Now... talk to Tommy... he has all analog gauges which looks awesome and honestly... does the job perfectly so its far from a "must have".
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I Command is the fuel management system.
    Standard fuel gauge is the digital bar graph.Each bar represents ?gallons? depending on tank size.In our case I believe there are 7 bars representing 8 gallons each (56 gals.).
    Fuel management is accurate to a.1 (tenth of a gallon ).

On your GPS you can have a page dedicated to engine gauges,fuel,temp,pressure etc.
    With GPS I'm primarily on navigation w/ tool bar for compass heading ,speed, etc.I don't want to drive and switch screens out.I just look at I Command for any fuel /milege info.
    I hope this makes sense.
    When speaking w/ frank ,what info do you want constantly displayed on dash? If there is a electronic issue w/ GPS screen you always want to know fuel.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I prefer my regular analog guage on the console. After doing many fill ups, when mine is on "E" I know I have 10 gallons left which is more than plenty enough to get me many miles and to the next pump. $500 bucks to know how many 10ths in the tank doesn't seem worth it to me. If I had it that accurate I WOULD probably run out of gas taking too many chances.
    I talked to Frank today. For the Yamaha, getting the Fuel Management Option means getting the Yamaha Command Link Gauges. For the Yamaha those gauges are pretty much what you are paying for if you get the Fuel Management Option. He said the Yamaha set up is nowhere near as easy as the Mercury or Suzuki to link in the NEMA communication to the GPS unit. He said it is an extra $400 or so if you wanted to take that extra step for the Yamaha. On the Merc it's a $25 cable basically.

Since the Command link gauges will give me a lot of other information I want readily available, I went with that option. Actually he said he already had it on his list for me so no added expense over what he and I had already discussed.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.
    Problem solved then!