Home Egret Boats

Stainless Gas Hatch Lifts

roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
I finally broke down and did a project that I had put off for too long. I replaced the click sticks on the large forward hatch and helm storage on my 189.

WOW, how nice are the gas lifts!!!!!

The geometry of the installation can be tricky, but is anyone wants to call me, I can walk them through the process. I used Marpac Stainless Steel Marine Gas Spring Hatch Lifts.

Call me if you need info on sizes, and placement. They are sweet!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Nice. I hated those on my last boat.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I put the gas lifts on my front hatches and the main seat and it was one of the best upgrades I ever did.
  • Amurleopard1967Amurleopard1967 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I put the gas lifts on my front hatches and the main seat and it was one of the best upgrades I ever did.

I did the same.
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    Once I saw them on one of Frank's new boats, I knew that would be a nice upgrade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I am in the middle of a 189 build right now. I was very glad to see the gas hatch lifts as standard. Frank said the only thing you have to watch with them is to not let someone grab the compartment lid while it is open and lean into it as they bend over getting something out of the compartment. Since the gas shocks don't have any give when they are fully extended it can damage the inside compartment lid if that much pressure is put against it. He said that was the main advantage of the old click sticks since they had a shock cord band in them that would simply stretch in that situation. I will just have to keep an eye on a couple of my buddies who are a disaster in the boat anyway.
  • UFGator86UFGator86 Posts: 99 Deckhand

I need to do the gas update as well. What size and where did you source them please.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I got mine down at East Cape. I dont know where they get them or the mfg but I assume it's the stock equipment on the Vantage.
  • Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 425 Deckhand
    roto7777 wrote: »
    The geometry of the installation can be tricky, but is anyone wants to call me, I can walk them through the process. I used Marpac Stainless Steel Marine Gas Spring Hatch Lifts.

Call me if you need info on sizes, and placement. They are sweet!!!!!

Roto, I want to take you up on your offer, but I'm probably not the only one. Would you mind posting more on your experience... what size, model, how did you install... so that more people other myself can benefit? I'm looking to do the same but upon looking to buy, there are more lengths than I realize. Would it be too much to ask for pics? Thank you in advance for your troubles.
    German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.
  • BluebirdBluebird Posts: 126 Officer
    i ordered mine a long time ago from Frank. He sent springs and he fowarded me an email with the distances and pictures of an install.
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    Roto, I want to take you up on your offer, but I'm probably not the only one. Would you mind posting more on your experience... what size, model, how did you install... so that more people other myself can benefit? I'm looking to do the same but upon looking to buy, there are more lengths than I realize. Would it be too much to ask for pics? Thank you in advance for your troubles.

I will get to the storage unit in the next few days to measure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 425 Deckhand
    thank you
    German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.