Home Ask the Law!

Square grouper

fyrdriverfyrdriver Posts: 47 Deckhand
Lets say hypothetically you see a square grouper floating. Whats the proper protocol? Obviously I wouldnt want to risk bringing it on my boat. Do you call the coast guard? Then instead of fishing you spend half the day waiting for someone to come pick it up? Can you give them GPS coordinates and then leave?

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    Seems to me maybe you have seen one otherwise you wouldn't be asking. In 25+ years I have only seen one and we cut it open ( hidden cash or other possible goodies maybe stashed inside ) and then let it sink.
    Call the authorities and expect as you said a looooooong wait and a whole bunch of hassel from the gun and badge toters because they ain't got nothing better to do than harrass you and NO DOUBT thoroughly search your rig in the process and wasting your day of fishing.

Proper protocol? Never saw it!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    Enjoy!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,291 Officer
    next time call me, i will take care of everything and let you go fish
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    Sounds like your fishing trip just turned into a heck of a good time !!!!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    My neighbor is DEA and he has cut one up when we came up to it. They are mainly after the large shipments. If you are thinking about taking one. Think twice. You do not know whats in the bale or bag.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Usually if a boat picks one up, they call it in to USCG etc., if possible, mark the location and bring it in when you return to shore.

A safer way may be to secure a life jacket to it, call in the location when you can and leave it. You never know who else is in the area and interested in the package.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
    Well, thats all we need to know . This thread is over, now move along.
  • 33 kilo of the white stuff found on the way back to Bimini. We called Coast Guard and they said they would meet us at Port Everglades and take it. Customs came on the radio and said they would arrest us before we got to the port if we picked it up. We politely declined to carry it back for the Coasties but waited until they were within sight before we left so they could pick it up.
  • Austin MitchellAustin Mitchell Posts: 361 Officer
    33 kilo of the white stuff found on the way back to Bimini. We called Coast Guard and they said they would meet us at Port Everglades and take it. Customs came on the radio and said they would arrest us before we got to the port if we picked it up. We politely declined to carry it back for the Coasties but waited until they were within sight before we left so they could pick it up.

That's a new boat, truck, and house. You hit the lottery that day.
    logo-bottom.png
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    its also about 5-15 if your caught with it
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    You best bet is to leave it alone because...

A. You will get harassed, questioned, searched, delayed by the law.

B. The "rightful" owner of the package may be nearby and watching you.

C. Bale weed suxdix anyway!
  • DaveFortMyersDaveFortMyers Posts: 168 Officer
    **** i thought we were just talking about fish lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    C. Bale weed suxdix anyway![/QUOTE]

just roll giant hooters
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,481 Officer
    Wayyyyy back in the early days of pot smuggling, some enterprising boaters would "troll" the mangroves in small jon boats just before sunrise, along the upper keys, using a flash light to look for bales that had blown in under the branches, during the night after a south or south east wind.
    Giimoozaabi
  • That's a new boat, truck, and house. You hit the lottery that day.

Thats just the first million dollars I lost!