Slinky fibre mullet SBS.

Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,311 Captain
Here's an SBS for a fly I've been tying for quite some time. The pattern was created by NE tyer Jonny King, and it's been tweaked a bit to suit my purposes. It's a simple tie that's very durable, and it's alot of fun to tie and fish.

What you're going to need-
* A wide gap hook (#1 or bigger)
* Slinky fiber in your choice of colors (mirror image works for smaller profiles, and syn-yak/devlin blend is nice for the truly huge stuff).
* Finn Raccoon in your choice of colors (bunny & arctic fox are great subs)
*Serrated scissors - Not an option. The trimming process will be a total nightmare without them.
*UTC mono thread in .006 dia.
* a brush to aid in trimming.

IMG_02821.jpg

First, you're going to want to wrap the shank of your hook to the bend, and create a small bump in the back to kick your materials up a bit. Wrapping the shank will keep your materials from sliding around while you work.

IMG_02831.jpg

Next you're going to tie in the first piece of your tailing material. With finn raccoon you're going to want to use about 30% more than your instincts tell you to. After you get it tied down, make 2-3 wraps around the base of your materials to kick it up at an angle.

IMG_02841.jpg

Tie in the belly color flat, so that it follows the flow of the last piece you tied in.

IMG_02861.jpg

Now you're going to begin building the head. Take a generous hank of slinky or ferrar, and cut it in half. Tie in half at the top at a 45 degree angle as far back as possible. Secure this hank down with 6-7 wraps of thread, this will make it easier to tie down once you fold it over itself.

IMG_02871.jpg

You're going to fold your material over itself creating a "V" tie. Make sure the two sides meet in the middle, or you'll get gaps once you start trimming.

IMG_02891.jpg

You're going to repeat this for the belly.

IMG_02901.jpg

Repeat the V ties until you're ready for the final 2 ties required in building the head of the fly.

IMG_02911.jpg

The final 2 ties are going to be tied in straight, not at 45 degrees.

IMG_02931.jpg
IMG_02941.jpg

Fold them back and finish your head.

IMG_02961.jpg

I like to have several prepared before I start trimming. They make a pretty big mess.

IMG_02971-1.jpg

You'll trim it up the same way you would a large deer hair slider. Just take small bites out of it with a sharp pair of serrated scissors. If the finn raccoon is getting in your way, a quick dunk in the sink will slim it down and help to seperate it from the slinky/ferrar.

IMG_02981.jpg

Put some eyes on it and go fishing.

IMG_02991-1.jpg

Replies

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 176 Deckhand
    ODB,

What are you using to glue on eyes? I was using krazy glue gel on FS blend and the snook tore off the eyes after almost every fish . I have some CGG that I may use to coat whole head, but prefer something easier. Great directions for mullet fly. Thanks

ps excuse typo in my user name. Cant seem to figure out how to change it. BTW, snook are on fire, a friend and I got 38 in 2 nights.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Nice Bill. Hope I get to see it tied soon--hint, hint. :-)
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,311 Captain
    troutbom wrote: »
    ODB,

What are you using to glue on eyes? I was using krazy glue gel on FS blend and the snook tore off the eyes after almost every fish . I have some CGG that I may use to coat whole head, but prefer something easier. Great directions for mullet fly. Thanks

ps excuse typo in my user name. Cant seem to figure out how to change it. BTW, snook are on fire, a friend and I got 38 in 2 nights.

Zap goo/amazing goop/shoe goo is far more impact resistant than krazy glue, but they're gonna get knocked off eventually no matter what you use. Just keep fishing and don't worry about it, the fish eat blind mullet too.
    ODC, Thanks for the tip. I thought a Zap product might be better but Krazy Glue always right there in Publix.
    TroutBUM!
  • Pea_HunterPea_Hunter Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Fletch-tite holds the eyes on longer than anything, but goop! The fletch-tite dries faster too!!
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    Nice looking fly ODC, like always... Have you tried Tying them with a fish skull?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,196 Captain
    Here's an eyeball tip from a guy who does a lot of plastic and/or holo eyes on all types of fly materials... I use Fletch-Tite exclusively now (it's a fletching cement designed for folks who make their own arrows - I've always found it at Bass Pro shops). It comes with the perfect applicator to apply a small dot of glue, just a bit smaller than the size eye you're using...

Here's the drill. I only do one eye at a time, then clamp it in place with either a clothes pin or a mini clamp (the Quik-Grip by Hansen). Each side is allowed to set up for about five minutes then the other side is glued in place. You'll be astonished at how well the eyes stay attached (not un-common to re-furbish the fly more than once without needing to replace the eyes... As for the eyes themselves I've pretty much gotten away from those pretty holographic eyes. The simple, hard plastic, doll eyes are much more durable (might be why Puglisi uses them exclusively from what I see in their catalogue). Since I'm doing at least a dozen flies at a time, eyeball gluing is the last step and I'll do one side on the dozen, then the other side (it helps to have a number of clothes pins or clamps if you're doing things on a production basis...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,311 Captain
    Nice looking fly ODC, like always... Have you tried Tying them with a fish skull?

It would jack up the profile. If you want this one to sink, simply use a heavier hook and tie the head a little sparser.
    Bob, Thanks for the tip. I just bought some goop. I'll try Fletch tight next batch. I love the holographic eyes but the snook are murder on them. I'll try doll eyes next time .