Open spots on a spearfishing or fishing trip Tomorrow afternoon 8/1/2012 Cudjoe Key

Sorry for the cross post, but I am putting up an offer for a last minute spearing or fishing trip, depending on who can go.

Here is the original post.
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?67573-Open-spots-on-a-spearfishing-or-fishing-trip-Tomorrow-afternoon-8-1-2012-Cudjoe-Key
Take out your boat, make a memory!

Replies

• ExocetExocet Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Ken,

Man your killing me, you know I would if I could. :banghead

Glad to see you got the new seals in, have a great day on the water.

Eric
    Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 660 Officer
    Yeah, I can imagine, I was missing it bad just for the week and a half I was gone. Shirley is having a woman's weekend this weekend, so I need to be out by thurs morning, but then we are coming back for lobster season the next week.

I am going to try your pinfish secret tomorrow if I cannot find a spearing partner. Shirley was going to come, but she had a commitment she could not get out of.
  • swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Deckhand
    I'd love to join ya but I'll be working until 4. Good luck though, the vis has been just unreal the last couple of days.
    I'd love to join ya but I'll be working until 4. Good luck though, the vis has been just unreal the last couple of days.

We wound up going out with a neighbor and his 12 year old grandson. It was an awesome day.

On the way our we set some pinfish traps. then we snorkeled around the gulf but did not get any fish. I missed a big hog, I saw him as I was about out of breath, tried to get close and took the shot. Missed and he disappeard. I should have waited from above and snuck up on him:banghead

Then we got the pinfish traps and headed out to the reef. Got there just before sunset, and started catching right away.
    Got a big cero, and a small cobia that I had to let go. The mangroves turned on just as expected and we limited out on them.
    Had something on, when it started pulling like crap. The sharks were figuring it out and you had to reel like crazy to get your fish to the boat. Turned out on one of them, I tightened the drag down and after about 4 minutes it felt like the shark let go. I wound up with half a spotted moray eel.

Towards the end, I had 4 big sharks following up a mangrove, but I was reeling like crazy and got him to the boat.

Got back to the dock at 11 PM, for an awesome day. The neighbor took some pictures so I should be able to post up soon.
  • ExocetExocet Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Sounds like you had a great day on the water. I was just thinking how blessed we are to have such great fishing opportunities in our back yard. You know I love the pinfish at night, when the moon is right and the bite is hot it can be a real blast. Did Justin get to pull in any of those Mangroves?

Tell Shirley Tammy and I sad HI. :dance
    Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He hooked up a few, but the sharks were grabbing them. I think he may need a stiffer rod, he had a real long rod with a spinner reel. He still had fun, and we are going to try to go again before he leaves. Hopefully first day of lobster season, if the weather is OK

Thanks for the tips on fishing the full moon.