Home Off Topic

What would you do? GOod deal on solar voltaic

2»

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I don't think I can give the guys a $22k deposit though with no way to guarantee I get the panels. My only idea to protect myself is to buy the panels from the seller directly. But then do I get tax credit?
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Whats so shady about the guy?
    Cut runner wrote: »
    Whats so shady about the guy?

nothing overall. A normal priced out solar system is north of $60k. This just happens to be a 1yr old used system that would be removed and reinstalled.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    drkptt wrote: »
    You're making up a new definition of efficiency. What you are talking about is a discrepancy between rated and measured power. Also, see Tater's comment above where he has observed a system making 40% over its rated output.

no i'm not. read up on it a bit.

The solar panels are rated based on a factory spec. that spec is going to have a constant tempature, sunlight intensity, sun angle, and other variables. The factory is going to use best case senerio to come up with those numbers.

but these are not real world numbers. You can only expect your panel to output a % of those numbers in the real world. If you would rather use the term tolerance than fine. But its a measure of how effiecient your solar system is running. based on how close to the best case senerior of temp, sunlight, and sun angle you have everything installed at. What I read before (which was a few years ago) the rule of thumb was you should consider your system to only be 80% efficient when looking at what the panel spec calls for. So if the panel calls for 100 watts, only expect 80 watts.

there is also an effiency rating on the panels that has to do with how much of the sunlight is converted to energy. That number you want as high as possible. Or actually, its a cost/area/number of panels issue that needs to be considered.
    CaptTater wrote: »
    a 100watt panel can produce a 100 watts,

only in ideal situations, which in reality can only be achieved in the factory test lab.

In the real world there are a lot of variables that effect how much power a panel will output.

Thats like saying your vechile will get 35 MPG because the factory said it could.
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    Hey Tatronic,
    I though it was ~10W/ft2, so this system is ~ 1,000 ft2?
    Its big. Almost the whole roof side. 29 panels or so. Don't have the details close.
    Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express
  • Orange'n'Blue SnapperOrange'n'Blue Snapper Posts: 1,384 Officer
    I looked into a system for my house a couple months ago. I had Pure Energy Solar come out and do a solar access report. I have zero trees near my home and the guy that did the audit said my house was perfect for them. What I didnt like besides the price was that he said on grid-tie systems if the power grid goes down then the panels are useless. He said that there ways around that using inverters and bypasses but that they wont do the install of them because they are dangerous and in most areas illegal. He said the invertor/bypass essentially gives the home owner the ability to feed back into the system when the grid is supposed to be down and/or being serviced. He said they can provide it and install it but that I will have to have somebody else make the final connections.

I always thought that solar panel systems meant when everybody didnt have power I still did. He said that would be an off-grid system and he said those systems are way more expensive because I needed a stockpile of batteries, and usually a service contract and generator are highly recommended.

That ended my solar panel dreams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    You're making up a new definition of efficiency. What you are talking about is a discrepancy between rated and measured power. ...
    no i'm not. read up on it a bit.

I'm a mechanical engineer, have designed, fabricated, and tested concentrating solar thermal collectors. I don't need to read up on it.

You are correct that you can't expect to generate electricity at the full rated power continuously. It gets cloudy, it rains, the sun sets. The term 'efficiency' has a precise definition and it's not the one you are using.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    You ever seen or heard of the solar air conditioner made my Lennox?
    Ive never really dealt with lennox and only saw it at a show, dont think it took off, but supposedly it was an array of solar panels that would power the condenser
    Polar wrote: »
    Ive never really dealt with lennox and only saw it at a show, dont think it took off, but supposedly it was an array of solar panels that would power the condenser

So it was an A/C run by solar panels? Lennox knows marketing. If it's not on grid then the A/C wont work at night? If it is on grid then you would have to still have all the other nice expensive parts that are required for a solar system. I can see why it didnt take off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cytranic wrote: »
    Thats useless as all hell. So hurricane comes blowing through and you cant use your solar home cause FPL is down. So other then saving $200 a month after 8 years its worthless.

I believe it's similiar to when you power your whole house with a Generator after a storm or something. If you dont trip the main then someone down the line can get fried. My Mech/Electrical systems teacher at UF said he had his house wired with some relay setup that would trip the main breaker as soon as he backfeed his generator into his homes circuit. I'm pretty sure thats how all big commercial scale (Catapillar, etc) are wired into properties. If the relay system fails though it could be bad news for someone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm a mechanical engineer, have designed, fabricated, and tested concentrating solar thermal collectors. I don't need to read up on it.

You are correct that you can't expect to generate electricity at the full rated power continuously. It gets cloudy, it rains, the sun sets. The term 'efficiency' has a precise definition and it's not the one you are using.

good for you on your career choice. But you are wrong. Efficiency does not have a precise definition, it is a term that can be applied to a varity of points of measurements.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    I believe it's similiar to when you power your whole house with a Generator after a storm or something. If you dont trip the main then someone down the line can get fried. My Mech/Electrical systems teacher at UF said he had his house wired with some relay setup that would trip the main breaker as soon as he backfeed his generator into his homes circuit. I'm pretty sure thats how all big commercial scale (Catapillar, etc) are wired into properties. If the relay system fails though it could be bad news for someone.
    We have a hole house generator and a auto. power transfer switch.
    gandrfab wrote: »

Well arent you Mr. Uptodate
    gandrfab wrote: »

I have an extension cord for neighbors like you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no 80% solare PV system. call efficiency what you want, its south of 20%.
    Solar panels have no inherent regulation. You have to have either grid or battery system to absorb the load. I will demonstrate tomorrow if I can.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Do it as long as the panels arent cheap chinese junk.

Loss of efficiency is offset by rising utility rates.
  • PhescadorPhescador Posts: 3,838 Captain
    They don't call it the sunshine state for nothing.
    Ewe Inn Joy Mice Elf.