Home Off Topic

Big Green Egg Guys

Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
I am starting to save my dinero.
But I just spent $150 replacing parts on my existing grill 2 months ago so it won't be anytime soon-- maybe winter or next spring. But I need ideas as I plan ahead.
2 Questions
1. You guys with the large green egg is that big enough or should you get the extra large size?

2. What are required accessories you feel needed to complement the grill?

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,746 AG
    Large is plenty big for me.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I have the XL but most guys seem to have the large. Check the BGE forums and you'll get an idea of what the different sizes are capable of. In terms of accessories, the most important and costly is the plate setter. You need one for all indirect cooking. A real necessity. Also a table or stand of some kind. Many money saving DIY solutions for this. Then you need a BGE apron, the Egghead hat, the insulated BGE gloves, the BGE salt and pepper shakers, a BGE sticker for your truck, etc., etc. It's endless. I did the same thing...spent over 100 replacing burners on my grill and then unseen corrosion was going to require more money. I bought the Egg instead and love it as you will. Good luck.
  • SeafighterSeafighter Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Primo Oval XL is larger and and more versatile than the BGE. I can easily do four butts and two brisketts in one overnight cook.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,028 Captain
    A large BGE will hold 3 butts or cook 4-5 large steaks at a time, if you need more room than that, grab an extra large.
    F the feds
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,620 Moderator
    We have been happy with the large. Never run out of room. It's been 4 years and used 3-4 times a week. Love it!!
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • marathonmarathon Posts: 103 Deckhand
    I have a large BGE, I think it's plenty big for what I do. Before you buy check out the Kamado grills, same as the BGEs but a lot less money.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,628 Admiral
    The large is great for us 99% of the time. I wish I had the XL when cooking for parties.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    What is the advantage of using the egg?
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,641 AG

I could be wrong but the only thing I see it the extreem hight temps it puts out but that isn't a really a requirement IMO
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    There are a few of these ceramic cookers out there. I'd throw the Cajun Microwave in with them for consideration.
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    get the stand that rolls and the shelves for the side

make sure it has a thermometer in the lid

and when you cure it watch it because if it gets
    up to 750* it will melt the felt seal / gasket (ask
    me how I know)

I will never own a conventional grill (gas or charcoal) again

the egg is incredible

also only use lump charcoal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Key LimeKey Lime Posts: 360 Officer
    Biggest culinary mistake I made was not buying my buddies' Lg BGE when he wanted to dump it. His opinion of it steered me away, when I could've bought it for $300 w/all the accessories. :banghead Won't make that mistake again, as I've seen how well folks do when they get the BGE dialed in.
    As RRR says you're going to melt the original felt gasket if you cook hot. I do steaks and pizza very hot, 600 - 700, and got about six months out of the original gasket. Don't let that scare you. It is the only thing I've found wrong with the whole BGE system. The gasket was easy to replace with an aftermarket high temp one. There are more advantages to the Egg than high temps. They'll hold low and moderate temps for long periods of time. Close it up and the charcoal goes out fast. Relight it next time without refilling. I get multiple cooks without adding fuel. I love it!
  • ficklepickleficklepickle Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Does anyone have Costco version of the Egg?
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Large is plenty big. Get a cheap webber grate, 3 stainless bolts and washers/nuts and you can make a raised grate easily to cook two racks of meat. I have cooked on every type of smoker and grill there is and absolutely nothing compares to the BGE
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,169 Captain
    I just cooked a large filet of steelhead trout and some asparagus in a pan made for cooking veggies on a grill and wished I had the XL. Sure, I could find a smaller pan for the veggies, but the extra room would have been nice.

As to the BGE brand stand and shelves, I say spend $100 in materials and build a real table for it. Novice carpentry skills are all you need.

EggTable.jpg
  • Bushnell-DaveBushnell-Dave Posts: 22 Greenhorn

I have a Grill Dome ceramic cooker in the XL size. Basically the same as the BGE. Once you get past the initial cost of buying it, the charcoal savings add up quick. I cooked burgers on Thursday, grouper on Friday, smoked a beef roast on Saturday and smoked some ribs on Sunday. I used less than a half bag of lump charcoal. Another advantage is the control of the temperature. Once you get it figured out, it's not too much different than turning the dial on an oven. No need to add any charcoal even when smoking for extended periods of time.

010-2.jpg
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 661 Officer
    I got one about a year and half ago. Have not started up the Gas Grill since then. I burned up my gasket, but I put a new nomex one in and it will not burn up. I can get it to 700 or keep it at 200 for 20 hours, no problem, no reloading.

Everything it great on that thing. I was skeptical, but even chicken comes out much juicer and with more flavor. Hard to believe until you try it.

The best thing, is that I load up with Lump Charcoal, then start a few pieces with a torch on the top. Cook whatever I am cooking, and then when it is done, close the bottom vent and put the cap on, and the charcoal goes out and is ready to use again. I just add a bit every now and then.

If I am cooking a brisket or a boston butt, then I will clean it out and start fresh, but you can use any unburned charcoal. This thing is better than I ever would have imagined.

I have cooked about 5 "BIG" briskets, about 16 pounds each. Not at the same time, but individually over the last year or so. They turn out so great. Very easy to bring the temp up to about 200 and keep it there for 15-16 hours while the brisket cooks. I cannot describe with words how good a fresh brisket it, but I will have BBQ beef sandwiches for the week after that, plus I wind up giving my son a big ziploc bag of beef for some awesome meals.

No Regrets.
    Take out your boat, make a memory!
  • aqua-holicaqua-holic Tampa,FLPosts: 220 Deckhand
    I got the Primo oval XL from a local pinch a penny and could'nt be happier. I just found it to be more user friendly being oval. Be prepared and add another 100-200 for accesories.
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    Lg should be fine. I've got the XL BGE (had it for years). I got it mostly because I was tired of the constant problems and expense caused by corrosion on my gas/charcoal grills. I live on the St Johns River close enough to the inlet that the tide line passes my house 4 times daily (salt water). No corrosion with a BGE after hurricanes, flooding, storms, years of use, etc - as good today as when I bought it. Cooking on the BGE is fabulous. I use it 2 or 3 times/week. It ain't cheap but it's worth it.
  • ficklepickleficklepickle Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Anyone have ceramic one at costco?
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Anyone have ceramic one at costco?
    I have ceramic one at costco, I haven't bought it yet.

Welcome to OT:beer
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,187 Admiral
    How much do they weigh? Can a cyclist pull it behind their bike?
  • JavabreathJavabreath Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I have used the LBGE for over five years and feed tons of folks. I'm sure the XLBGE is nice but I have heard it can use more charcoal to get to to temp for smaller cooks.
    Check out the ceramicgrillstore.com for high quailty multi level cooking options. I had a plate setter and gave it away after using the spyder/pizza stone option for indirect cooks. Also look at bbqguru.com for digital tempurature control devices that let you set it and forget it on long cooks. Not necessary but its cool to set 4 x 8# butts on and sleep all night with no worries. A table is nice. A good thermometer like a thermo pen and welders gloves for moving around hot grates.
    The Eggs are great tools and I'm sure you enjoy whatever model you end up with.
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    I just saw a ceramic BBQ at Lowe's this weekend. I thought it was the Egg, but its a knock off. Looked very good, I think price was $700
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,187 Admiral
    Do most have those cheap asz wire grates? Any porcelain coated cast?
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Do most have those cheap asz wire grates? Any porcelain coated cast?
    I think the one that came with my BGE is porcelain coated - at least it's never rusted. I do clean it every use.
  • Fisherman12Fisherman12 Posts: 645 Officer
    Get an XL. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

As for accessories, as far as everyone said, build a table if you can. If not, buy.

Platesetter, pizza stone, grill gripper, ash tool (Galvanized trash can for the ashes), porcelain V-Rack, electric fire starter, and pizza stone scrubber.

Theres a bunch more, but thats all I can think of off of the top of my head.

As far as the charcoal, get the BGE product. The Cowboy is recycled wood. We have found screws and nails in bags before. BGE also burns hotter.
    Royal Oak is good also. They make the BGE charcoal and it's at Walmart for a fraction of the price of the BGE stuff.
  • PCFisherPCFisher Posts: 269 Officer
    I'll also recommend Royal Oak. I've tried a few of the others, and it's the cleanest, tried Comboy brand and there were so many pieces of rock in there is was crazy. For size I have an XL, I also have 4 kids, just planning for the future, but I have filled it up with just us.
    Tod