Home Politics

Romney may not have paid ANY taxes for a decade!

chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
May have been perfectly legal but sure won't sell well in Peoria.

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has what he says is an informed explanation for why Mitt Romney refuses to release additional tax returns. According a Bain investor, Reid charged, Romney didn't pay any taxes for 10 years.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Huffington Post from his office on Capitol Hill, Reid saved some of his toughest words for the presumptive Republican presidential nominee. Romney couldn't make it through a Senate confirmation process as a mere Cabinet nominee, the majority leader insisted, owing to the opaqueness of his personal finances.

"His poor father must be so embarrassed about his son," Reid said, in reference to George Romney's standard-setting decision to turn over 12 years of tax returns when he ran for president in the late 1960s.

Saying he had "no problem with somebody being really, really wealthy," Reid sat up in his chair a bit before stirring the pot further. A month or so ago, he said, a person who had invested with Bain Capital called his office.

"Harry, he didn't pay any taxes for 10 years," Reid recounted the person as saying.

"He didn't pay taxes for 10 years! Now, do I know that that's true? Well, I'm not certain," said Reid. "But obviously he can't release those tax returns. How would it look?

"You guys have said his wealth is $250 million," Reid went on. "Not a chance in the world. It's a lot more than that. I mean, you do pretty well if you don't pay taxes for 10 years when you're making millions and millions of dollars."

The highest ranked Democrat in Congress, Reid is known more as a back room brawler than a public flamethrower. So his willingness to throw this private conversation into the media frenzy over Romney's taxes underscores the low opinion he has of the Republican candidate.

Tellingly, neither Reid nor his office would reveal who the investor was, making it impossible to verify if the accusation is true. And as his quote makes clear, he's uncertain if the information is accurate. The Romney campaign's press secretary, Andrea Saul, has previously denied rumors that Romney didn't pay "any taxes at all."

But there is limited political downside to the type of open speculation that Reid is making, so long as Romney refuses to budge on the issue of his tax returns. Increasingly, other Democrats are growing more assertive in their goading. In an appearance at the Center for American Progress on Tuesday, former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland argued that he could openly speculate as to whether Romney "is a tax avoider" or "cheat" because "his behavior invites such speculation."

Romney recently told ABC News that he couldn't recall if there were years when he paid below the 13.9 percent tax rate that he paid in 2010. Although he said he was "happy to go back and look," his campaign declined to do just that.

Asked for a response to Reid's latest comments, Romney campaign adviser Kevin Madden said his candidate had "gone above and beyond the disclosure requirements by releasing two years of personal tax returns in addition to the hundreds of pages of personal financial disclosure documents he has provided to the FEC and made public."

Madden added that it was "troubling and disappointing that Senator Reid would cite Governor Romney's father, George, as part of a personal attack against the governor. We have many substantive disagreements with the senator and his policies, but using insults about a father-son relationship is a step too far."

Reid has jabbed at Romney before. Indeed, during the HuffPost interview, he seemed to revel in the headlines and fallout his attacks have caused.

"It's interesting, my guy from Vegas wrote this. He's a snarky guy, [Las Vegas Sun political reporter] Jon Ralston. He's a center guy. I like Jon just fine, but he's cynical, and I guess that's what serves him well. So he criticizes me for saying that Romney couldn't be elected dogcatcher," Reid recalled.

"My wife said to me -- we don't talk politics very often -- she said, like, 'You shouldn't have said that.' So Stephanie Cutter [President Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager] comes down to talk about politics and outsourcing at my caucus. She said, 'I'm so grateful for Senator Reid, the best remark during the last week, was saying that he couldn't qualify to be dog catcher.' I could hardly wait to get home to tell my wife."

Reid's assessment about the state of the political landscape didn't end at the borders of the presidential campaign. He spoke optimistically about the prospects of maintaining his role as Senate majority leader, offering up private polling data that he said showed four Democratic senatorial candidates ahead -- Mazie Hirono up 19 points in Hawaii, Sen. Jon Tester ahead by five points in Montana, Tammy Baldwin up three points in Wisconsin, and Elizabeth Warren leading by four points in Massachusetts.

"We feel comfortable in the Senate," he said. "Where the problem is, is this: Because of the Citizens United decision, Karl Rove and the Republicans are looking forward to a breakfast the day after the election. They are going to assemble 17 angry old white men for breakfast, some of them will slobber in their food, some will have scrambled eggs, some will have oatmeal, their teeth are gone. But these 17 angry old white men will say, 'Hey, we just bought America. Wasn't so bad. We still have a whole lot of money left.'"

"So that's the only problem we have with our candidates," Reid concluded, suggesting that virtually everything, his leadership position included, could be swept away by outside cash.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/harry-reid-romney-taxes_n_1724027.html
Chubasco.jpg

Replies

• coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    neither has Chubasco
    169304.GIF
  • stsimonsstsimons Posts: 7,292 Admiral
    coldair wrote: »
    neither has Chubasco

Chubaso is a rich liberal who likes to pretend.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,094 Captain
    Obama may have been a pedofile the last years at occidental college, we just don't know because he won't release his records.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Madden added that it was "troubling and disappointing that Senator Reid would cite Governor Romney's father, George, as part of a personal attack against the governor. We have many substantive disagreements with the senator and his policies, but using insults about a father-son relationship is a step too far."

Anyone who doesn't agree with THIS statement?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    It’s funny. If this election is totally sewn up for Obama as my liberal buddies like to crow, why are they desperately making up stuff about Romney?
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    mikev wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't agree with THIS statement?

How was applauding his father for his transparency a insult?
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain
    Obama must have sucked as youngster in the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Scminnow wrote: »
    It’s funny. If this election is totally sewn up for Obama as my liberal buddies like to crow, why are they desperately making up stuff about Romney?

Well what's funny is that we don't really know if it's made up now do we?
    roto7777 wrote: »
    Obama must have sucked as youngster in the "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" game

The POTUS has "shown" 10+ years of tax returns.
    How was applauding his father for his transparency a insult?

Really? Come on, man! You of all people should see this as not the right thing to do. His father is dead, and some guy is saying that his father is embarrassed of him? You're OK with that?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • Frankee The YankeeFrankee The Yankee Posts: 3,281 Officer
    House minority leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Senate majority leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL), the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), have been some of the most vocal voices to have called on Mitt Romney to release his tax returns.

In stunning examples of hypocrisy, though, Pelosi, Reid, and Wasserman-Schultz all refused to release their tax returns when asked by McClatchy Newspapers.

“The leader has filed a complete financial disclosure report as required by law that includes financial holdings, transactions and other personal information,” Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami told McClatchy.

At a news conference, Wasserman Shultz said, “I file full financial disclosure required under the law” and refused to release her tax returns.

Reid also would not let McClatchy look at his tax returns.

In recent weeks, Pelosi has said Romney’s failure to release his tax returns makes him unfit to even be a Cabinet member while Reid said it made Romney unfit to be even a dogcatcher.

Wasserman Schultz said Romney’s refusal to release his returns was an example of Romney’s “penchant for secrecy.”

But, as McClatchy reports, “all three refused repeated requests from McClatchy to release their own returns, requests that started before the flap over Romney’s records.”

By Reid’s, Pelosi’s, and Wasserman Schultz’s standards, they should not be serving in office.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/18/Hypocrisy-Reid-Pelosi-Wasserman-Schultz-Refuse-To-Release-Their-Tax-Returns
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    chubsy might be a pillow biter
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    The POTUS has "shown" 10+ years of tax returns.

now have him show then after president. Hes a millionaire now jerk off.
    House minority leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Senate majority leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL), the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), have been some of the most vocal voices to have called on Mitt Romney to release his tax returns.

In stunning examples of hypocrisy, though, Pelosi, Reid, and Wasserman-Schultz all refused to release their tax returns when asked by McClatchy Newspapers.

“The leader has filed a complete financial disclosure report as required by law that includes financial holdings, transactions and other personal information,” Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami told McClatchy.

At a news conference, Wasserman Shultz said, “I file full financial disclosure required under the law” and refused to release her tax returns.

Reid also would not let McClatchy look at his tax returns.

In recent weeks, Pelosi has said Romney’s failure to release his tax returns makes him unfit to even be a Cabinet member while Reid said it made Romney unfit to be even a dogcatcher.

Wasserman Schultz said Romney’s refusal to release his returns was an example of Romney’s “penchant for secrecy.”

But, as McClatchy reports, “all three refused repeated requests from McClatchy to release their own returns, requests that started before the flap over Romney’s records.”

By Reid’s, Pelosi’s, and Wasserman Schultz’s standards, they should not be serving in office.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/18/Hypocrisy-Reid-Pelosi-Wasserman-Schultz-Refuse-To-Release-Their-Tax-Returns

As someone said to me in another thread . . this is about Mittens.
    Finfinder wrote: »
    now have him show then after president. Hes a millionaire now jerk off.

He has . . every year since he became president. So does that bit of truth still make me a jerk off or you a absolute moron?

By the way Bidden did as well . ..

http://www.barackobama.com/tax-returns/
  • onthefiftyonthefifty Posts: 4,093 Captain
    Finfinder wrote: »
    chubsy might be a pillow biter

And SWFL is definitely a pickle puffer.
  • 238SP238SP Posts: 91 Deckhand
    So has 48% of the country have not paid taxes.
    238SP wrote: »

So they have NEVER bought a tank of gas, or a cracker or a bottle of Soda? WOW!
  • BrewheddBrewhedd Posts: 1,096 Officer
    238SP wrote: »

48% of the country now averages $500 a week, you expect them to pay income taxes when they can barely afford to eat?
    Corruption is the enemy. Lobbyists and the FED have ruined the country.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    SWFL may never have paid taxes
    169304.GIF
  • sjm1582002sjm1582002 Posts: 4,364 Captain
    As someone said to me in another thread . . this is about Mittens.

This is about elected officials at the federal level.

Why should there be two standards?
  • onthefiftyonthefifty Posts: 4,093 Captain
    Brewhedd wrote: »
    48% of the country now averages $500 a week, you expect them to pay income taxes when they can barely afford to eat?
    Is that our problem? How many kids do they have?
    Brewhedd wrote: »

Pretty much the same way they are going to pay for the healthcare.

I know, it's hard to make a rebuttal when I make good points. That's OK, keep trying.
    mikev wrote: »
    Pretty much the same way they are going to pay for the healthcare.

I know, it's hard to make a rebuttal when I make good points. That's OK, keep trying.

So your position is the poor don't deserve food or healthcare?
  • grady30wagrady30wa Posts: 10,161 AG
    This part of the article explains just how desperate the Democrats, the liberal news media, and you have become:
    chubasco wrote: »
    Tellingly, neither Reid nor his office would reveal who the investor was, making it impossible to verify if the accusation is true. And as his quote makes clear, he's uncertain if the information is accurate.
    Schadenfreude. November 8, 2016

Nobody "deserves" bupkis...except for the right to EARN food and healthcare.

You spin so much, you could be a DJ.
    grady30wa wrote: »
    This part of the article explains just how desperate the Democrats, the liberal news media, and you have become:

It's easy to prove or disavow, release your returns Mittens!
    It's easy to prove or disavow, release your returns Mittens!

Mitt's spokesman says kiss my *** and shove it.