Home Politics

Churchill bust debacle: ‘amateurish’ Obama White House remains firmly in denial over

FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
what a joke this President is. What more a joke the liberal lap dogs trying so hard to make Romney's London trip bad.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100173136/churchill-bust-debacle-amateurish-obama-white-house-remains-firmly-in-denial/

The White House is continuing to tie itself in knots over the Churchill bust issue. As I noted in my previous blog, Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer was forced to back peddle furiously this weekend after he ludicrously denied that a loaned bust of Sir Winston Churchill had been sent back to the British government by the White House in 2009 soon after President Obama took office. In fact he wrongly accused Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer of an outright lie when he brought up the matter of the bust in an op-ed piece for The Post last Friday. After the British Embassy pointed out that Pfeiffer’s comments were factually wrong, the White House staffer issued an embarrassing clarification in the form of an “update” on the White House blog.
Pfeiffer’s gaffe over the Churchill bust has continued to build momentum in the US media and on Twitter, with former ABC and Fox News correspondent Brit Hume describing the whole episode as “amateur hour at the White House.” Even The New York Times editorial page editor Andrew Rosenthal called the White House’s handling of the issue “bumbling and amateurish.” A follow-up piece by Mr. Krauthammer calling on Dan Pfeiffer to apologise for his attack is currently the most-read article on influential US news aggregator RealClear Politics.
The issue was also raised on Monday morning at a White House press conference given by Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest, who has added fuel to the fire with his adamant rejection of the idea that President Obama might have snubbed the British by deciding to turf the Churchill bust out of the Oval Office. In response to a question by an American journalist, Earnest replied (watch the video here at RealClear Politics) that the White House was determined to combat “a myth floating in the darker corners of the Internet” regarding the motives behind returning the Churchill bust:
Question – Can you tell us why the White House decided to weigh in on this whole Winston Churchill bust scandal, and whether you guys are gonna clarify what bust is where, and … [drown out]
Josh Earnest – It is almost like a bad Sherlock Holmes script, right? The case of the missing Winston Churchill bust? Uh – the reason – uh –that we waited on Friday is because there is – uh – a myth floating in some of the darker corners of the internet that suggests that upon taking office the president went out of his way to snub the British people by prematurely returning the bust of Winston Churchill that had occupied a prominent place in the Oval Office of the previous president.
That’s not true. Uh – as the White House curator has previously explained and I believe as we’ve explained on the end of the day on Friday – uh – the bust was loaned to President Bush by the British government. Uh – as is customary at the conclusion of President Bush’s term and before President Obama entered the Oval Office – uh – the bust was returned to the British Embassy.
What hasn’t changed are two things. One, the president’s – uh – the priority and the value the president places on our Special Relationship with the United Kingdom, and two – the location of the prominently placed Winston Churchill bust in the White House residence. Uh – and I think you may have seen a picture that we – uh – put on the White House website on Friday of President Obama showing off the Churchill bust in the White House residence to Prime Minister Cameron when he was in the US back in March. [laughter] Have we settled the case of the missing Winston Churchill bust? I hope so.

Replies

• Frankee The YankeeFrankee The Yankee Posts: 3,281 Officer
    The Libs have nothing else to hold up. Even if thier guy has a bad history on an issue they will still point fingers knowing that they are hypcorites.
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer
    How many busts of Churchill do you think should be in the White House? I suppose you would rather have one of Churchill over Lincoln? GMAFB, and yesterday you guys were telling the UK to F'off and they don't vote when they were ***** slapping Mittens.
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,301 Captain
    The Libs have nothing else to hold up. Even if thier guy has a bad history on an issue they will still point fingers knowing that they are hypcorites.

Their real problem is, they can't be wrong. After all, they are the smartest of the smart, and if they are that smart, how can they possibly be wrong? Did I say they are smart?
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • beach_tradebeach_trade Posts: 2,040 Captain

You respond to every thread in the exact same way.

Could you please try to say something intelligent once in a while?
  • beach_tradebeach_trade Posts: 2,040 Captain
    Their real problem is, they can't be wrong. After all, they are the smartest of the smart, and if they are that smart, how can they possibly be wrong? Did I say they are smart?

And the same goes for you too. What a couple of losers.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,999 Admiral
    How many busts of Churchill do you think should be in the White House? I suppose you would rather have one of Churchill over Lincoln? GMAFB, and yesterday you guys were telling the UK to F'off and they don't vote when they were ***** slapping Mittens.

see your reading comprehension is challenged and decided to tow the Kool Aide line no matter what. Your an embarrassment.

what does that have to do with Obama being petty giving it back and caught lying about it Oh yea also they offended the Britt's i
    Finfinder wrote: »
    see your reading comprehension is challenged and decided to tow the Kool Aide line no matter what. Your an embarrassment.

what does that have to do with Obama being petty giving it back and caught lying about it Oh yea also they offended the Britt's i

So how many busts of Churchill should be in the white house? 1? 2? Do you think Churchill should have a higher place of respect than Lincoln in the white house? What I am curious about is what did W take out of the oval office to make room for churchill?
    So how many busts of Churchill should be in the white house? 1? 2? Do you think Churchill should have a higher place of respect than Lincoln in the white house? What I am curious about is what did W take out of the oval office to make room for churchill?

A United States president should have enough class to not offend the Britts. When caught lying they ly more. What does your question have to do with all the failed post you submit. It demonstrates Obama's failure and corrupt administration. Its not about how many busts, he got rid of it because it was given during Bush.
    A United States president should have enough class to not offend the Britts. When caught lying they ly more. What does your question have to do with all the failed post you submit. It demonstrates Obama's failure and corrupt administration. Its not about how many busts, he got rid of it because it was given during Bush.

Why can't you answer two simple questions, (1) how many busts of Churchill should be in the White House? (2) Do you think Churchill should be afforded more respect than Lincoln?
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG

Comprehension problem much!? Yes, you do. Yesterday's discussion was about the Willard and the English. Today's discussion is about the amature-in-chief's (notice the lower case) crew bumbling on about a lie they are trying to foist on the American people. SW, try to keep up.
    Comprehension problem much!? Yes, you do. Yesterday's discussion was about the Willard and the English. Today's discussion is about the amature-in-chief's (notice the lower case) crew bumbling on about a lie they are trying to foist on the American people. SW, try to keep up.

I am well "a-bust" of the situation! So you seem like a smart guy. . . how many busts of churchill should be in the White House, and should churchill demand a place of higher respect than Lincoln?
    I am well "a-bust" of the situation! So you seem like a smart guy. . . how many busts of churchill should be in the White House, and should churchill demand a place of higher respect than Lincoln?

its my thread start your own or start answering my questions liberal ! Nce try deflecting now answer for your liar and Chief.
    its my thread start your own or start answering my questions liberal ! I nice try deflecting now answer for your liar and Chief

Apparently a junior press officer made a mistake . . not like a WMD in Iraq mistake, but a mistake. It happens . . ask your . . . "fill in the blank"!
  • mikehelsmikehels Posts: 2,981 Officer
    Why can't you answer two simple questions, (1) how many busts of Churchill should be in the White House? (2) Do you think Churchill should be afforded more respect than Lincoln?

It's not about how many bust of Churchill or the price of tea of China, it is about this President was caught in a lie, again, and is denying it, again.

But to answer your question, according to Martha Steward, a home should have no more than 3 busts of Churchill. Lincoln has his own bedroom. A bedroom trumps 100 busts. One bust does trump a set of 4 Obama Tervis Tumblers (24 ounce ones, not 16)
    mikehels wrote: »
    It's not about how many bust of Churchill or the price of tea of China, it is about this President was caught in a lie, again, and is denying it, again.

But to answer your question, according to Martha Steward, a home should have no more than 3 busts of Churchill. Lincoln has his own bedroom. A bedroom trumps 100 busts. One bust does trump a set of 4 Obama Tervis Tumblers (24 ounce ones, not 16)

The President did not lie, but the rest is pretty **** funny. Ok, I'll agree you are a funny man . .

***THIS IS AN EDIT (FOR SW BENEFIT)

I mistakenly said one bust "does" trump, where it should read "doesn't".. Just in the case SW wants to "call me out" and paint me a "liar" if I corrected the actual post. I'll save the forum the time and waste of watching him bicker with himself for 8 pages.
    Apparently a junior press officer made a mistake . . not like a WMD in Iraq mistake, but a mistake. It happens . . ask your . . . "fill in the blank"!

fail again. So ever thread about Romney can fall under your logic. Im talking to an idiot.
    What were your previous screen names so I can understand the depths of your affliction?
    fail again. So ever thread about Romney can fall under your logic. Im talking to an idiot.
    What were your previous screen names so I can understand the depths of your affliction?

Uhm you are comparing the loss of over 4000 american soldiers lives based on lies from a administration, to whether a churchill bust in the private residence was the same one that was in the oval office LOANED to a previous president who left with the lowest approval ratings EVER?

Dude, you are screwed up in the head.

I mistakenly said one bust "does" trump, where it should read "doesn't".. Just in the case SW wants to "call me out" and paint me a "liar" if I corrected the actual post. I'll save the forum the time and waste of watching him bicker with himself for 8 pages.

THANK YOU! However I am sure you would not have lied about it . .

THANK YOU! However I am sure you would not have lied about it . .

Or You can just hit the back button and edit it again.
    Uhm you are comparing the loss of over 4000 american soldiers lives based on lies from a administration, to whether a churchill bust in the private residence was the same one that was in the oval office LOANED to a previous president who left with the lowest approval ratings EVER?

Dude, you are screwed up in the head.

FAIL start your own thread or stay on topic idiot
    FAIL start your own thread or stay on topic idiot

I guess you don't like it when some reality is brought into the situation. Then agin Pubs never do.
    Looks like the WH couldn't lie their way out of this one...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100173449/white-house-issues-humiliating-apology-to-charles-krauthammer-over-churchill-bust/

White House issues embarrassing apology to Charles Krauthammer over Churchill bust gaffe

By Nile Gardiner World Last updated: August 1st, 2012

601 Comments Comment on this article

The Obama White House: in apology mode

The Obama presidency is fond of issuing apologies for America on the world stage, but very rarely makes them at home to Americans. White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer has just issued one to Washington Post columnist and Fox News contributor Charles Krauthammer, who last week wrote an op-ed berating the Obama administration for removing a bust of Sir Winston Churchill from the Oval Office when it came to power. Pfeiffer had issued a stinging attack on Krauthammer, alleging that his Churchill bust reference was “100 percent false.” Krauthammer was of course 100 percent correct, and the British Embassy in Washington even issued a statement contradicting Pfeifer’s remarks.

Here is the full text of Pfeiffer’s mea culpa, published on the White House blog in the form of an open letter to Mr. Krauthammer:

Charles,

I take your criticism seriously and you are correct that you are owed an apology. There was clearly an internal confusion about the two busts and there was no intention to deceive. I clearly overshot the runway in my post. The point I was trying to make – under the belief that the Bust in the residence was the one previously in the Oval Office– was that this oft repeated talking point about the bust being a symbol of President Obama’s failure to appreciate the special relationship is false. The bust that was returned was returned as a matter of course with all the other artwork that had been loaned to President Bush for display in his Oval Office and not something that President Obama or his Administration chose to do. I still think this is an important point and one I wish I had communicated better.

A better understanding of the facts on my part and a couple of deep breaths at the outset would have prevented this situation. Having said all that, barring a miracle comeback from the Phillies I would like to see the Nats win a world series even if it comes after my apology

Thanks,

Dan Pfeiffer

It is good to see Mr. Pfeiffer finally issue a formal apology, after his juvenile and remarkably ignorant rebuttal of Mr. Krauthammer's Post column generated a media storm. But this does not by any means end the controversy over the decision by the White House to return the Churchill bust. There is still an air of defiance in Pfeiffer’s words, and he categorically claims that the bust was sent back “as a matter of course,” and its return to the British government was “not something that President Obama or his Administration chose to do.”

As I noted in my previous blog on the subject, however, both The Sunday Telegraph and The Times of London ran major articles back in early 2009 revealing that British officials had made it clear to the White House that President Obama could keep the Churchill bust in the Oval Office. In other words, it was the White House’s firm decision to return the bust, and no request was made by the British to have it back. This looks awfully like a deliberate snub of America’s closest friend and ally, and it would be good for the White House to acknowledge the truth, rather than continue to spin a blatantly false and misleading line.
    I guess you don't like it when some reality is brought into the situation. Then agin Pubs never do.
    are you really this stupid I see your trying to spin this. Again moron start you own thread. Or keep on topic. The thread is the reality your the hammerhead trying to spin it.