Home Off Topic

MRE's

Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
What's best tasting or favorite and why?

Whether you’re involved in a temporary power outage, a day’s hike, an extended camping trip, or a catastrophic grid collapse, your food supply is of the utmost importance. Individual, four-serving foil packets provide vital nutrition with minimum weight and maximum efficiency. Storage is easy – we include 56 freeze-dried breakfast and entrée servings in a durable, stackable 4 gallon plastic bucket that can help to preserve your food supply for up to 25 years. Just add boiling water, and you’ll feed one person two servings per day for a month (or a family of four two servings per day for a week.) Includes an NRA exclusive: a false “paint” label intended to divert attention away from your food supply. Made in USA.

• Savory Stroganoff- 4 servings
• Chili Macaroni-4 servings
• Pasta Alfredo-4 servings
• Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini -4 servings
• Teriyaki and Rice-4 servings
• Cheesy Lasagna-4 servings
• Hearty Tortilla Soup-4 servings
• Apple Cinnamon Cereal-8 servings
• Brown Sugar and Maple Multi Grain-12 servings
• Crunchy Granola-8 servings

Replies

• SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    I made a promise to myself that I will not eat anymore MREs a long time ago.
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    When I was in the Army and we were heading to the field I would eat multiple packets of the cheese to back me up, it worked well, except there was hell to pay when it wore off.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    I cant remember if its the chili macaroni or cheesy lasagna, but its f-ing good.
    Better than Carrabbas
    But its about the only thing i like
  • ckeene9ckeene9 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Only thing worthwhile in that line-up is the chili-mac. Look for a different selection.

Beef Ravoli, Beef Stew, Chicken and Dumplings are all good.
  • JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    The best MRE is the one you don't eat.

They have some decent ones now, keep looking until you find the ones in the clear package. They are the newest/best.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    ckeene9 wrote: »

Beef Ravoli, Beef Stew, Chicken and Dumplings are all good.

Ok good is good...
    Jboat wrote: »
    The best MRE is the one you don't eat.

They have some decent ones now, keep looking until you find the ones in the clear package. They are the newest/best.

Absolutely!!

Kewl
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Maybe it's me, but I thought the C-Rations were better.

7685616038_4cf1f44923.jpg
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,609 AG
    Calusa wrote: »
    Maybe it's me, but I thought the C-Rations were better.

7685616038_4cf1f44923.jpg

Especially with the smokes and speed.:grin
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Could use a few of those.
  • tennmiketennmike Posts: 400 Deckhand
    Gotta agree with Calusa. The C-Rats were better than the MREs. With the C-Rats there were a few things you needed to know, though. That round chocolate wafer was really industrial strength X-Lax. Some of them required heating to melt the fat. And the 'green eggs and ham' breakfast meal was not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach; very good heated up, but the visual was something else!
    Same with the gum in MRE's, X-Lax. But it's sometimes needed after you eat an MRE, you either get colon blow or you get the brick that scrapes your insides then lodges somewhere deep down within.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Plus with the C rats you got a P-38! I still carry one on my key chain today.
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    Chili mac

Didn't the c-rations have a burger on a can...bun and all? That what I heard anyway.
  • JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    Eat the peanut butter and you won't crap for two days, guaranteed.

Put the heater in a gatorade bottle with a little water and seal it up then toss. Kind of like a quick and easy diversionary device.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Great little tool, that P38. I have a few ...... :)

I liked the chicken noodle soup. And the "Cake, Pound".
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    My only experiences eating MRE's was during Francis/Jean hurricanes when they were given out along w/bottled water & ice. The National Guard guys distributing them believed Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce was the best. They also told me what MRE means. Meals Refused by Ethiopians. IMO the MRE's were several fathoms below airline food & losing to TV Dinners.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Calusa wrote: »
    Great little tool, that P38. I have a few ...... :)

I liked the chicken noodle soup. And the "Cake, Pound -one each".

Fixed it for you.:)
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    My neighbor (who has since moved) was an Army Colonel. He and his family used to eat MRE's on every Memorial Day. He figured that if that's what the troops were eating on that day, that's what his family would do too. We did it for several years while they lived next door. Good folks. Good tradition too.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    I was hoping to see a new improved menu.
    mikev wrote: »
    My neighbor (who has since moved) was an Army Colonel. He and his family used to eat MRE's on every Memorial Day. He figured that if that's what the troops were eating on that day, that's what his family would do too. We did it for several years while they lived next door. Good folks. Good tradition too.

Great tradition!
  • prowlin4redsprowlin4reds Posts: 956 Officer
    MRE's are over priced along with a lot of the freeze dried foods. With the current political and economic climate the whole " Survival and self reliance business " is booming. People are scared and want to be prepared. There is nothing wrong with being prepared in these times. Economic collapse, terrorist, attack, wrol and catastrophic weather are very real threats and being ready only makes sense. With a little research you will see that there are many foods that packed properly have an incredible shelf life. MRE's are convenient, but in times of crisis, you can eat better.
    Personnally I like squirrel and dumplins...
    Survival is not mandatory.....
    mustang190 wrote: »

I also have my original from 1970 on my key chain:beer
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    mustang190 wrote: »

Don't carry it on you if you fly commercial. Mr gl just had his taken away by a TSA agent couple of months ago...he carried the same one on his key ring for over thirty years. He was stunned and upset...it's flown all over the country (and outside as well) with him without a problem...and been on some of this nations biggest wildfires. It's the only one he had.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

Yep, and some court houses also, Pinellas county it's a no no and I had to go put it in my car. But in Hillsborough County no one has ever said anything.
    Sucks for him losing his, I'm not sure I'd of made the flight.
  • FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    I like the little chicklette gum that comes in them. For the military issues, chicken a la king is pretty good.
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Sucks for him losing his, I'm not sure I'd of made the flight.

Yeah, it does suck...it can be replaced but he's carried the same one his entire career with the USFS, which goes back over forty years. He was just too tired to argue or make a later flight. Headed home after a thirty day detail, working 12-16 hours a day.

On topic note...I thought the C-rations were pretty cool. It's kinda like Christmas, or a 'box of chocolates'. The little packet of cigs were popular, and I like the tiny bottles of tobasco sauce in the MRE's. Though after a few years all the sauce dries up.

I remember there were some complaints from the folks staying in the Superdome in NO about the 'quality' of the food in the MRE's.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt