Home Off Topic

The outdoor industry in America is one of the largest.

CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
That's a lot of money.

According to the study, spending on outdoor recreation in the United States totaled $645.6 billion in 2011. By comparison, consumer spending on pharmaceuticals for the same year was $331 billion. Only two industries examined were bigger spenders than the outdoor industry, financial services and insurance ($780 billion) and outpatient health care ($767 billion).

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/study-says-outdoor-industry-has-larger-economic-impact-than-pharmaceutical/

Replies

• kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    Did you know that 83% of all anglers are supposedly fishing from land (ie. no boat)?
  • Bruce LBBruce LB Posts: 3,604 Captain
    Is there a breakdown to see where it was spent.
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    The good thing about a bad job market is that you get to fish more.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    http://www.outdoorindustry.org/images/researchfiles/RecEconomypublic.pdf
    This is a 2006 report, the one I posted earlier is western states.

BICYCLING 60 MILLION
    CAMPING 45 MILLION
    FISHING 33 MILLION
    HUNTING 13 MILLION
    PADDLING 24 MILLION
    SNOW SPORTS 16 MILLION
    TRAIL 56 MILLION
    WILDLIFE VIEWING 66 MILLION
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    Did you know that 83% of all anglers are supposedly fishing from land (ie. no boat)?

Did you know? know and supposedly don't work well with each other.
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Did you know? know and supposedly don't work well with each other.

Ill find a link for you since your toogle machine is apparently broken..
    Interesting link while I am tooglin' for Gandy:

http://asafishing.org/newsroom/news-releases/angling-retains-its-mainstream-appeal-and-broad-economic-impact/

by Mary Jane Williamson

Alexandria, VA—Despite competition from video games and other similar activities and increased urbanization, recreational angling remains one of the largest outdoor recreational activities in the nation as well as one of the most solid industries in the United States. Annually, nearly 40 million anglers generate over $45 billion in retail sales with a $125 billion impact on the nation’s economy creating employment for over one million people.

Other interesting statistics on sportfishing include:

The three states with the most anglers are Florida (2.77 million), Texas (2.52 million) and California (1.73 million)
    The top three states in terms of jobs supported by sportfishing are Florida (75,100), Texas (59,000) and Minnesota (43,100).
    The number of anglers is greater than the population of California.
    One out of every three anglers fish for largemouth bass, America’s most popular game fish. Flounder is the most-targeted saltwater fish.
    One of every 7 people fished in 2006, making it more popular than jogging or golf.
    Forty-five percent of anglers come from cities of one million or more people.
    Fifty-one percent of anglers have a household income greater than $50,000 per year and 17 percent have incomes in excess of $100,000 per year.
    Over half of all anglers have attended college.
    Twenty-five percent of anglers are women.
    Nearly half of all anglers are between 35-54 years of age.
    I read today in the "Environmental Monitoring" magazine that for every dollar Florida spends on artificial reefs, the community benefits 138$ in fisherman/tourist dollars. The state is using old infrastructure to build the reefs. Old concrete sewer and water lines, bridges, etc.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    now if we could just use the carcasses from cyclists to build artificial reefs it would be a win win
    169304.GIF
    Maybe I read that 85% of all anglers are freshwater? In any event, I present you cool facts from 2006 presented by TOOGLE:

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/nationalsurvey/nat_survey2006_final.pdf
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    Cyclist we are not in 2006 anymore, Bush is no longer President.

man you have some good weed
    169304.GIF
    coldair wrote: »
    Cyclist we are not in 2006 anymore, Bush is no longer President.

man you have some good weed

Find a more up to date report.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    Maybe I read that 85% of all anglers are freshwater? In any event, I present you cool facts from 2006 presented by TOOGLE:

http://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/nationalsurvey/nat_survey2006_final.pdf

Didnt-read-lol-1.gif
  • Orange'n'Blue SnapperOrange'n'Blue Snapper Posts: 1,384 Officer
    In case you missed it, Homeless and Poverty rates are at a 50 year high. When you are forced to call the outdoors your home then sometimes it helps to have outdoor gear. I've seen some homeless dudes in Ocala with pretty nice hiking backpacks, sleeping bags and even those pads you put under sleeping bags. We even had a squad of hippies that tried to call Butler Plaza home for a couple weeks. They had tents, sleeping bags, stoves and a bunch of other fancy crap. They looked like a bunch of young gypsies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Captain
    For those of you who don't know, I'm a Dept. Manager at the Bass Pro on Orlando. I've worked there for the past five years since being laid off from the construction industry. It always amazes me that,despite how bad the economy and unemployment rate are, we have hundreds of people rolling into the store everyday and spending significant amounts of money. Let's face it, we don't sell bread or milk or anything necessary to maintain life (unless things get REALLY bad). Trolling motors, electronics, hunting, fishing...etc...etc... Tells me that people must be making cuts elsewhere and people really need their hobbies right now to keep from going completely bat **** crazy with the rest of the world...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    JesseJames wrote: »
    For those of you who don't know, I'm a Dept. Manager at the Bass Pro on Orlando. I've worked there for the past five years since being laid off from the construction industry. It always amazes me that,despite how bad the economy and unemployment rate are, we have hundreds of people rolling into the store everyday and spending significant amounts of money. Let's face it, we don't sell bread or milk or anything necessary to maintain life (unless things get REALLY bad). Trolling motors, electronics, hunting, fishing...etc...etc... Tells me that people must be making cuts elsewhere and people really need their hobbies right now to keep from going completely bat **** crazy with the rest of the world...
    That's what I'm saying. Clearly drug prices aren't out of whack if people spend more money on one type of industry for fun than drugs.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "