Seven American arrested for NOT checking in Bahamas!

GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
Don't be foolish...

Seven Americans arrested on the high seas
KRYSTEL ROLLE
Guardian Staff Reporter
[email protected]



Published: Jul 12, 2011



Share This:

Rate this article:
Add To favourite
Subscribe for:
Mobile Alert News Alert Seven Americans could face criminal charges after they were arrested on the high seas in two separate incidents over the weekend.

According to reports from the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, two American fishing vessels were apprehended for fisheries, customs and immigration violations in Bahamian waters.

The first group was apprehended on Saturday evening.

“While on routine patrol on Saturday evening at approximately 5 p.m., [defence force officials on the] HMBS Nassau apprehended a 31-foot Intrepid vessel, near the Great Isaac, with two American nationals onboard along with a small quantity of fishery products,” according to a statement from the RBDF.

The men and their vessel were taken to Freeport, Grand Bahama, and handed over to immigration officials.

The RBDF statement said the second incident occurred on Sunday.

According to the report, defence force officials on the HMBS Nassau arrested the crew of a 33-foot cabin cruiser in the vicinity of Great Isaac.

The RBDF said the vessel and crew had failed to clear Bahamas Customs and Immigration before engaging in fishing in Bahamian waters.

“Onboard was a 150-gallon container with assorted fishery products. A further search of the vessel also uncovered a rifle and 120 rounds of 7.62 ammunitions,” the statement said.

The five men, all believed to be American nationals, along with the vessel were taken into Bimini, where they were handed over to the proper authorities.

The men could face charges sometime this week. Meantime, defence force officials say investigations continue into both matters.
mousey.gif
61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
«13456

Replies

  • ROFROF Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Was always waiting to hear one of these reports come around... im with Cytranic on his ps. note
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Will be interesting to see what happens to them. Customs fees and a small fine? Would be neat to hear the specifics on these. Someone on here has to know someone who knows these guys.
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

    "No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Good for them.

    If the laws are on the books they should enforce them

    Why the hell can't people just check in, write the check, go do some great fishing (which wouldn't be there if the didn't enforce their laws), and have a great time in the Islands.

    Is it no wonder Americans abroad are seen as arrogant?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Will be interesting to see what happens to them. Customs fees and a small fine? Would be neat to hear the specifics on these. Someone on here has to know someone who knows these guys.

    The 120 rounds of ammo are probably going to net them a little more than a fine:banghead
  • VenturesomeVenturesome Posts: 1,743 Officer
    I warn people I know who push this limit all the time. Glad to see them enforce the law. I have no sympathy for those violating this. Their country, their laws, pure and simple. Check in, pay the fee, have the paper work, and fish to you hearts content. What the hell is so difficult about that? And by the way, i've had them stop mrs v and I way out in the middle of nowhere, ie, up past the gingerbreads and check our papers......
    2392.jpg
  • tunahoundtunahound Posts: 347 Deckhand
    There is no good reason not to clear before fishing.
  • TailwalkerTailwalker Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Where do bahamain waters begin? I ran over a couple weeks ago and came across some chickn dolphin 10 miles east of west end, loaded up and checked in at port lucaya. Is that legit
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Tailwalker wrote: »
    Where do bahamain waters begin? I ran over a couple weeks ago and came across some chickn dolphin 10 miles east of west end, loaded up and checked in at port lucaya. Is that legit

    No sir.

    Frankly folks, when running over there don't try and work out where you are in relation to the demarcation. Go check in and then go out fishing - the fish ain't going anywhere for a few hours.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Tou would feel the same way if they came over here - although we can't keep much and they couldn't figure out the regs either but whatever
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    Cytranic wrote: »
    There was always much debate whether or not Issac Light counted as Bahamian Land. I'd always clear before going to Issac but I know a few people who dont....Maybe this will change their mind.


    ps. A certain Obsessive-compulsive disorder wahoo boat should take notice..


    Dude seriously who the hell are you to say they dont check in??? DO you fish with them? YOu should keep your mouth shut unless your in the know...
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Dude seriously who the hell are you to say they dont check in??? DO you fish with them? YOu should keep your mouth shut unless your in the know...**** gilligan

    That area had always been a debate...I know of friends who have been checked and cleared to go..Lucky..? I don't know..No reason to get hostile..I think it was a friendly suggestion..I love there reports ,but would hate to hear of any trouble coming of it..
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    GT Fish wrote: »
    That area had always been a debate...I know of friends who have been checked and cleared to go..Lucky..? I don't know..No reason to get hostile..I think it was a friendly suggestion..I love there reports ,but would hate to hear of any trouble coming of it..

    Well i can tell you first hand because i fished with them plenty of times and the owner and all the guys on the team are good friends of mine and they abide by the laws...they have been boarded several times by US and Bahamian officials and never have anny issues..i just hate the fact that ppl talk when they are not in the know.. Not getting hostile just expressing my feelings :) im a friendly giant
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    Yea and there is also alot of idiots on this forum who dont know when to keep there mouth shut when they dont know their head from their a** on a certain topic...gilligan

    I agree some break international laws but that boat doesnt
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • Old Man in the SeaOld Man in the Sea Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Checking in with customs is not optional and is really pretty simple. It is a serious matter if you fail to follow the laws in either the US or the Bahamas.

    Why risk trouble with either the US or Bahamian law enforcement? Seriously just the attorney fees for some silliness like this will start at $1,500 apiece and go upward. In this case the firearm was likely confiscated and the fishing gear and vessel are subject to seizure.

    All because for whatever reason they chose not to clear customs.

    A good lesson for all of us.
  • rod27rod27 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    yo quick.......dont waste ur time
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 981 Officer
    Can one of the guys 'in the know' post the following:
    1. names of those busted
    2. date of auction for the 308, gear, boats
    3. adjudicated penalties
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    We were in Lucaya when we heard about it. Apparantly, they were loaded with lobster and all kinds of fish. Basically it was an FU to the Bahamians. Lot's of grey area in the bahamas with them. They give you some leeway but when you blatantly do what these guys did your in big trouble. And they are...
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    We were in Lucaya when we heard about it. Apparantly, they were loaded with lobster and all kinds of fish. Basically it was an FU to the Bahamians. Lot's of grey area in the bahamas with them. They give you some leeway but when you blatantly do what these guys did your in big trouble. And they are...



    Both boats were together or is this two different boardings?
  • blackcrabblackcrab Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I heard this from a friend who knows one of the guys in the boat that was brought to Bimini. They were released and returned home with their boat and AK 47 the Tuesday following the arrest. They paid a $500 fine for the fish they had on board and the clearance fee. They were let off because the boat is registered with the US Coast Guard and the Bahamians failed to get permission from the Coast Guard before boarding the boat.
  • sleepwalkersleepwalker Posts: 101 Deckhand
    i don't understand when people say there is some "debate". there is no debate about the line or if GI is in the bahamas. i'm stoked that people are getting checked. i mainly spear and i do it legally with slings. i see way too many A holes there with guns and going wild. i also hate seeing the comercial fishing boats out of miami there stocking up on day trips. i love it over there and enjoy recreational fishing and spearing for a dinner or two. i wish some of the S. Florida boat companies would donate a bit to preserving the fishing in the bahamas. give a loaner boat to bahamas defense to patrol the waters more. we don't need more strict rules for fishing in the bahamas to keep it good, we need more jerk offs arrested for **** the country. bimini should have a boat patrolling the waters there EVERY day. put the pressure on the bad guys and make some examples out of them. leave the good guys alone to enjoy the bahamas forever. that's my 2 cents...
  • KeysboundKeysbound Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    I have no stake in this and don't really care either way, but if the boat in question is doing things by the book, whether or not they are mentioned in this thread really seems irrelevant. If they have nothing to worry about, then the people who mentioned it are wrong and there is nothing to get upset about because the boat is legit....seems it would only be an issue if they were mentioned and had something to hide.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    Keysbound wrote: »
    I have no stake in this and don't really care either way, but if the boat in question is doing things by the book, whether or not they are mentioned in this thread really seems irrelevant. If they have nothing to worry about, then the people who mentioned it are wrong and there is nothing to get upset about because the boat is legit....seems it would only be an issue if they were mentioned and had something to hide.

    i dont have a stake in it either, but its very easy to assume alleged facts from the comfort of a keyboard and to spew out conclusions that may not be and usually are not accurate. if people state something as a fact they should prove it or, alternatively, state the assertion as an assumption or as an opinion or alternatively ****.


  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    Cytranic wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure nobody stated any facts in this thread. But in your eyes, I'm guessing nobody has the right to question anything...Right.... You sound like Casto my friend.

    Listen Cytranic, dont call me Castro or anything similar. If you knew me personally, which you do not and I am not your friend, you would know how much of an insult this is to my family and to me.

    My point is that you do not know with certainty whether the boat/person that you refer to cleared or not. If you know with certainty, please tell us how you know this. If you do not know with certainty, then you are making an assumption or expressing an opinion, which you are free to do, but it would seem you should state it as such rather than as a fact.


  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    Cytranic wrote: »
    I'm with you man. Ignorance of the law doesn't give you a free pass to break it. If there are any boat builders watching this thread, I'll donate the first $5,000 towards a boat for the Bahamian defense. It truly PISSES ME OFF that people don't take the time to learn another countries laws....

    Every week someone is breaking fishing regulations boasting their pics on this forum. If you question the activities all the "friends" come here to tell you you're wrong. People post HD high quality videos of 500 pounds of bottom fish caught in the Bahamas, and then try to tell you that video was taken 10 years ago...HAHA HD Camera's were not around 10 years ago bud. Time and time again we call out these guys, and they have an answer for everything...

    So here is my solution. I'm putting up 5k of my own money to equip the Bahamian police with a boat to burn these guys. So long as they lock these people up in FOXHILL for a while. Laws will only be respected if they are enforced.

    is drinking while navigating a boat illegal in the bahamas?

    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?2907-Bimini-Monster-Queen-Report-6-17-2011-6-19-2011


  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    alacrity wrote: »
    i dont have a stake in it either, but its very easy to assume alleged facts from the comfort of a keyboard and to spew out conclusions that may not be and usually are not accurate. if people state something as a fact they should prove it or, alternatively, state the assertion as an assumption or as an opinion or alternatively ****.

    I love the fancy words...cant believe my **** understand them :)
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    Cytranic wrote: »
    I'm with you man. Ignorance of the law doesn't give you a free pass to break it. If there are any boat builders watching this thread, I'll donate the first $5,000 towards a boat for the Bahamian defense. It truly PISSES ME OFF that people don't take the time to learn another countries laws....

    Every week someone is breaking fishing regulations boasting their pics on this forum. If you question the activities all the "friends" come here to tell you you're wrong. People post HD high quality videos of 500 pounds of bottom fish caught in the Bahamas, and then try to tell you that video was taken 10 years ago...HAHA HD Camera's were not around 10 years ago bud. Time and time again we call out these guys, and they have an answer for everything...

    So here is my solution. I'm putting up 5k of my own money to equip the Bahamian police with a boat to burn these guys. So long as they lock these people up in FOXHILL for a while. Laws will only be respected if they are enforced.

    How about you put those 5 grand to use and take some fishing classes and learn how to catch more than 4 queens and a couple of snoweys when you go to the bahamas then you wont be so jealous of the guys who actually do catch quality and quantity...sounds like someone is a little jealous :D
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    LOL thats cute not my boat but i work on it...and its 25 and got more experience, time and wins on the water then you ever will...
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    LOL thats cute not my boat but i work on it...and its 25 and got more experience, time and wins on the water then you ever will...





    Anyone have Popcorn?


    Quick: think you can reduce your pic some, it takes up 1/4 page?
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    quick's a big guy (6'6"?), so he needs a big signature.


Sign In or Register to comment.