Key Largo Headboat Recommendation

I have Thurs and Friday off this week and may be interested in making a run from Hollywood to key largo to fish a headboat. Anybody recommend a good one not to far down? Looking for one that targets bottom fish, grunts not being the target of course...

Replies

• gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    The Gulfstream,, they do pretty good on the Yellowtails. Google it to get directions they are off of US1. MM99-100
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,027 Captain
    Stay away from Sailors Choice! Do a search on here and you will see why. I wholly recommend the Marathon Lady although they are further south.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    X2 for the Gulfstream.
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Thnx, that's what I am hearing as well. Do they anchor or drift?
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,272 Officer
    The Gulf Stream never drifts but only anchors. They rotate on the stern for yellowtails. During this rotation you are required to use spinning reels and sand balls to get your bait down, and you also are not allowed to use weights in the process. This keeps the four of five fisherman on the stern from tangling up. While you are letting your line out during this procedure you are required to move slowly to the right, so your time on the stern is limited to about five minutes. When your time is up you get back in line for another sand ball attempt. If you tire of this type of fishing, you can move up to either side of the boat or even the bow to fish with heavier gear. There are not many restrictions on the sides or bow, but common sense prevails.
    Giimoozaabi
  • migsthunnusmigsthunnus Posts: 112 Deckhand
    I agree that the Marathon Lady is the best bet, but it another hour South. The mangrove bite is hot this time of year. If you want to stay in Key Largo, The Gulfstream is the best choice I believe. The gentlemen below is correct that they rotate sandballing for tails on the stern, but you can drop down on the bow or sides.
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 660 Officer
    Too bad you are not off on Wed, I am looking for someone to go Spearing or fishing in the afternoon/evening, you could join me.
    Take out your boat, make a memory!