Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

ferris - T-SLPOST

ferris,

whats your take on T-SPLOST???
Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 683 Officer
    I'll be interested in Ferris, take as well.

As for me, it's a NO. Too much emphasis on "mass transit", Fulton and Dekalb already pay an extra penny for MARTA, 10 years is too long, no guarantee of contract provisions for cost or time over-runs, etc., etc. Then there's the trolly for down town ATL to the King Center -- that should really help traffic congestion!

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    limitless wrote: »
    I'll be interested in Ferris, take as well.

As for me, it's a NO. Too much emphasis on "mass transit", Fulton and Dekalb already pay an extra penny for MARTA, 10 years is too long, no guarantee of contract provisions for cost or time over-runs, etc., etc. Then there's the trolly for down town ATL to the King Center -- that should really help traffic congestion!

My issue is "trust" levels to spend the money correctly...I like the flat tax part, but dang man these guys will go spend the coin now without coin to keep up what they build resulting in MORE tax...and reverse course mid- stream. Accountabilty is my issue I reckon...

The flat tax part me like...I like great transportation as this can and should lead to job growth...
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    House Bill 48 should be of greater concern to everyone rather than this penny tax.
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    no here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I as a home owner do not wish to pay more taxes so Walmart etc can be exempt from inventory taxes . It will be worded something to the effect of " Save Georgia's small bussiness by voting yes to freeport level 2 " Right now anything under 7500 is exempt already, so that is already helping the small bussiness and most boat owners in the state . Anyone remember " Keep Georgia Green " ? If you voted yes to that you basically gave all Timber companies atleast a 50 percent tax break on their land taxes . I can go on and on about this stuff as I see and deal with it everyday . All taxpayers should take the time to look at who is paying for and will continue to carry the burden of this state before you vote yes to exempt anything .
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Major "multi-stop" transit systems are a debacle in all major cities in which they exist. Eventually they all need "help". The burden of supporting these money pits falls on us, the taxpayers. If you want to see how bad they are look up CTA or Pace or Metra financial difficulties in the greater Chicago area. I guarantee you will vote against public transportation bills after you review these catastrophes
    A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Part 1 of Article 2 of Chapter 5 of Title 48 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to ad valorem tax exemptions, so as to revise and change certain provisions regarding applications for, waiver of, denial of, renewal of, and granting of freeport exemptions; to provide for level 1 and level 2 freeport exemptions; to provide for applicability to business inventory; to provide for procedures, conditions, and limitations; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes. http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20112012/HB/48
    Simple version,

House Bill 48 provides for an additional level 2 Freeport exemption of business inventory from ad valorem taxation when such exemption has been authorized by the governing authority of a county or municipality and after approval of the electors of such county or municipality. We have to vote this in come Nov.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    Who high jacked TO's password :huh :grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,810 AG
    The new argument for a NO on T-SPLOST = an increased millage rate for property taxes. I still say no on T-SPLOST whether that causes another action is yet to be seen.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    dstockwell wrote: »
    The new argument for a NO on T-SPLOST = an increased millage rate for property taxes. I still say no on T-SPLOST whether that causes another action is yet to be seen.

It is likely that most counties will see a mill rate increase next year simply because the cost to provide the services the tax payers are used to is going up and property values and growth are down in almost all counties .
    I voted NO
  • showmanshowman Posts: 539 Officer
    IT'S ANOTHER TAX!!! One way or another, the politicians that WE elected to represent US will find a way to bilk US out of more money to stuff into THEIR pockets. The ad's on TV about how T-SPLOST will fix roads, create Jobs, and generally make doing business better and easier is a load of BS. Down here in SW Georgia, we have money being held or taken away by the State and Federal Governments because it was used wrongly or documentation of what/how the money was used is non-existent. The T-SPLOST money is supposed to stay in the region it was collected in for projects in the region. I don't believe that will or can happen. I have no reason to believe it will help anything but I have reason to believe it will be wasted on BS projects that have no benefit to anyone but a select few.

My Vote on T-SPLOST: NO
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    I hope this poll is true.chart?chl=22%25+Yes|74%25+No|5%25+Still+Undecided&cht=p&chd=s:S9E&chs=500x200

Should be

I hope our guy for St. Senate knocks off the incumbent...
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,993 Captain
    T-SPLOST yes for me..
    Makes sense for us here. If we did our own SPLOST we could collect 60M in.10 years. T-SPLOST .regionally =…105m.
    We knew it would be a tough sell but we have to think along the lines of economic development in our VERY rural area.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,080 Admiral
    voted no.why be taxed to provide infracstructre to a business getting tax breaks which means more mill increases for services.something has to be done about traffic around atl but stupid ideas like using the emergency lane on 400 aint it.the idiots that came up with that will be managing tsplost money.off soap box now.
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    My home situation will continue to be in limbo if T-SPLOST is defeated. If the tax is approved in our district, one of the projects is a bypass that will come right through our garage. This project has been on the agenda for almost 7 years now and did not already happen due to the downturn in 2008-9. It's my understanding acquisitions would begin in 2013 if the tax is approved by voters. The project is going to get done somehow, and I truly think if T-SPLOST doesn't pass the revenue will be generated in more unfair ways. We're ready to get on with our lives but are stuck until there is a resolution. No one is interested in purchasing a home that will eventually be demolished. I voted yes.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
    sorry,lived thru that with the 485 thru dacula that never happened.buddy of mine held out till 3years ago,was going right thru his property.
    wishfishin wrote: »
    My home situation will continue to be in limbo if T-SPLOST is defeated. If the tax is approved in our district, one of the projects is a bypass that will come right through our garage. This project has been on the agenda for almost 7 years now and did not already happen due to the downturn in 2008-9. It's my understanding acquisitions would begin in 2013 if the tax is approved by voters. The project is going to get done somehow, and I truly think if T-SPLOST doesn't pass the revenue will be generated in more unfair ways. We're ready to get on with our lives but are stuck until there is a resolution. No one is interested in purchasing a home that will eventually be demolished. I voted yes.

That road is wicked crazy Wish...........never ever seen one anywhere near like said...ferris's new ride wound out in 2nd and 3rd would be the way to try it - if you didn't care about living.
    What about the deer. The poor deer
    Got a good story about that road next time we're drinkin'.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    wishfishin wrote: »
    Our old homestead used to be right where were the Ronald Reagan Expressway runs right through where Dogwood and Tree Lane intersect. I grew up fishing that pond and roaming those woods where that neighborhood now resides every year. Snellville was very dear to my heart.
  • manleymanley Posts: 887 Officer
    T -SPLOST voted down... Overwhelmingly!!!

My take = the voters are sick & tired of reckless spending!
  • reel estatereel estate Posts: 1,402 Officer
    manley wrote: »

My take = the voters are sick & tired of reckless spending!

I certainly hope so...
    hooknreds wrote: »
    Our old homestead used to be right where were the Ronald Reagan Expressway runs right through where Dogwood and Tree Lane intersect. I grew up fishing that pond and roaming those woods where that neighborhood now resides every year. Snellville was very dear to my heart.

small world, Fam farm out there RRP ran through it also, my Uncles Farm/Pond was a gem....you could catch fish all day long and some true lunker bass...we did allot of growing up out there...

My Georgia State Senate guy lost, most likely because he endorsed T-SPLOST (he's tight with DOT)...other than that biggie, his platform was PRO Business and his record is strong....fraid T-SPLOST cost him.
    ferris1248 wrote: »
    If he supported it he should of lost.

Well, the voters spoke. It'll be interesting to see how the political nabobs handle the defeat.

agreed

saw it from afar, trust and like the man, hence my question here on T-SPOLST. Figured per the Debate here, he wasn't getting around the issue and really did not sell the room well enough...

He's been a Pillar of our Community, brougth Verizon Ampitheatre, etc here and Pres. of North fulton Chamber foever it seems
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    i voted
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • showmanshowman Posts: 539 Officer
    BF and Ferris: IF T-SPLOST had passed, how much of the money that was supposed to stay in respective regions would have wound up in the ATL area to build things that no one but the locals up there would had a poor use for? Now we will have to wait and see what kind of future fleece job our state gooberment can dream up to generate money for pipe dreams and, hopefully, see through the smoke and mirrors on that also.
    savannah passed it.dont know what road wrk needs doing there.well come to think access in and out of port could use some wrk.port expansion is the elephant hiding in the room.south carolina and ga. gonna make one BIG freight port and somebodies gotta pay for it.
    Going to have to make some tough decisions on home improvement. Hate to spend the coin when I'll never get it back in an acquisition.