Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Looking for a gun safe

Fits 15-20 long guns, under $1,000, preferably black or brown.
Any reccomendations?

Replies

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Call the guys at the Tallahassee Gun Vault and see what they have. I bought my Liberty from them and they delivered for free and had the best price I could find. I did a lot of research and the Liberty line, to me, was the winner. There are a lot of options out there and a lot of quality safes.

In the Liberty line, it looks like you could get the Revere 20 which is supposed to hold 22 long guns but to me, those numbers are seldom accurate. MSRP starts below $1000 so TGV should be a little less than that.

One additional question for you - are you looking for something to simply lock the guns up or are you looking for a fire protection as well?
  • beerfishbeerfish Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Thanks, I've actually been by there, but wasn't sure about the one safe they had in that price range. Might have been a Liberty though, I'll give them a call.
    Really just looking to lock them up.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I think most of what Ray has on the floor are Liberty's. Really pleased with mine but I went for fire protection as well - $$$. I ended up with the Liberty Lincoln 35.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    The difference in fire protection saves you $$$ instead of insuring them.
  • Rogan1Rogan1 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    I've been safe shopping too and have researched several brands. While expensive I've made the decision to put back enough to buy something in the 35-39 model (width range) with better than average fire protection. I dont worry as much about theft in a decent locked steel box as I do about possible fire. I have 3 guns I wouldnt take a mint for just because and I'd never be able to replace them so for me another $800-$900 is the way to go for extra protection. I assume the fire ratings are over estimated and as long as I place the safe on an outside wall I should have a chance should the worst happen. Just my .02.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    tapate wrote: »
    The difference in fire protection saves you $$$ instead of insuring them.

Insure them. I had the best fire safe Stack-On had available and my guns all turned to toast in a fire. The steam from putting out the fire and the smoke mixed together rusted them and turned them to junk.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    Insure them. I had the best fire safe Stack-On had available and my guns all turned to toast in a fire. The steam from putting out the fire and the smoke mixed together rusted them and turned them to junk.
    It all depends on your policy. The ones I'm familliar with you needn't schedule the guns for fire but there is a sublimit for theft. If the safe keeps them from being stolen you're good. The biggest problem is what rogan has....you can't insure semental value with a safe or a policy.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Yep, sentimental value. One of mine was my first shotgun. I delivered newspapers to earn the money to buy it. Another was my uncles identical gun. He gave it to me right before he passed. Can't replace that.
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,035 Officer
    I bought the Fat Boy by Liberty, from TGV.

Tractor supply has 3-4 different Cannon safes, and they are reasonably priced.
  • No CompetitionNo Competition Posts: 417 Deckhand
    Go to Costco. I just got a **** Remington 24 long gun safe for $600. 500 plus pounds. Love it. Not online...go to the store.
    2007 31' Competition
    Yamaha 300HP 4-Stroke 4.2 liters
    Garmin and Furuno Electroincs
  • bmoselybmosely Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Sturdysafe.com
    Spend your money on steel and leave the glossy paint for the brochures. I do not think I am putting it in the living room anytime soon.
  • Dial ToneDial Tone Posts: 177 Deckhand
    bmosely wrote: »
    Sturdysafe.com
    Spend your money on steel and leave the glossy paint for the brochures. I do not think I am putting it in the living room anytime soon.

X2