Did I make the right choice on a new bottom machine?

I shopped the market around and decided to go with Lowrance Elite 5x DSI. Anyone have this unit or like model? Did I make a good choice? I was a sucker for the bottom imagery and didn't really need a chart plotter.

Replies

• BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Cannot speak for the Elite, but I do have Lowrance HDS with the DSI. I love it.

Here is a cool DSI of the hovercraft with a school of Beeliners and a bait pod.

Attachment not found.

With that said, does it have traditional 2D sonar? I am thinking its only DSI, right?

If so, I see that as a drawback. I haven't had much luck picking out and seeing live bottom with DSI. I would prefer traditional 2D sonar for that. You can see the ripples in the bottom in my picture......that's from the rocking of the boat. DSI is so sensitive that it picks up the boats movement.

Lastly, I might suggest spending the extra $150 or so and get the one with the chart plotter for the safety of redundancy. It's nice to have a backup if one goes out.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Mahi, I have the Elite 4 without the DSI... I love the little machine but what I wanted it for was the track back feature... great for finding new spots while running to or from. you can scroll back up to 4 pages to mark and it puts it on the mapping page as a #... great machine for the $
    :fishing:grin
  • mahiwahimahiwahi Posts: 180 Officer
    crcattypc wrote: »
    I wanted it for was the track back feature.

Unfortunately the one I got is a bottom only. Maybe I should have opted for the one with gps too but oh well...too late now :)

It's definitely better than the old black and white unit
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I prefer separate units. I use a Koden bottom machine and a Furuno gps. with a info cable going from the gps into the bottom machine which displays all the position, speed info.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,172 Admiral
    I wish mine had radar! :)
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I wish mine had radar! :)

You can add it to most newer units. I have Sirius Satellite weather radar hooked into mine.
    I despise monthly bills.

I did give it some thought and if I were using all they offered I'd might consider but not just for radar once or twice every other month when there is a threat (during the summer). Don't care for the network type companies that sell you the useless basics in order to upgrade to what you really need. The whole sales / marketing thing is insulting. :grin
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I despise monthly bills.

I did give it some thought and if I were using all they offered I'd might consider but not just for radar once or twice every other month when there is a threat (during the summer). Don't care for the network type companies that sell you the useless basics in order to upgrade to what you really need. The whole sales / marketing thing is insulting. :grin

I can't disagree, but they will allow you to cut it off for 6 months of the year with no reactivation fees.

Or

You could always do something like this.......very functional and stylish. :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343765115.021439.jpg
    If I had a T top...I'd go that route but my boat is not worthy of all that. Trying to keep it simple and multi functional was the plan. ;^)
    Mahi> did you get a chance to use it yet?
    Will someone check on him please. Thanks!
    I just got it finally installed early this morning just in time to get out on the water down in St Joe Bay. In which I limited in scallops btw....so much for a bad season...we killed it with over 200+!!! Any who, it actually worked pretty good in the shallows and the DSI was awesome! When I drove over grass flats it actually drew little grass lines out and you could tell where the actual bottom was vs the height of the grass. I would move from the grass out over sandy patches and it would draw out flat.... Cant wait to get it offshore to see some structure. All and all a good test run that I'm really impressed. I think me and my new Lowrance will have a long lasting relationship :P
    Glad to hear the DSI worked so good. Like to see it in action.

We went out Sat. with no agenda and run the boat with some R&R. Ended up with a little over a doz good crabs and threw for some trout with a few border size fish. Had one hellacious blow up that missed but all and all it was nice to do the bay and dodging showers in cooler temps. I was also surprised of the clarity of the water after all the rains.
    We plan on doing some scalloping towards the later part of the season, and would be happy to hook up with some for a day on the water.

Nice job on the scallops.
    We grilled some steaks and fried up the scallops tonight and had a family get together... Yum Yum!!
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Nice man... we tried yesterday and had a very slow day... hit like 5 spots and the only one that really yeilded some #'s was the one we have hit several times this year... You found em, good job!
    :fishing:grin