No Debris Dolphin Report

Heard it time and time again this summer " if you find the debris you will find the dolphin" . To me that means a long day of searching and they may even have summertime "lock jaw" when you find him.

Had 14 year old Austin and his brother Jessie on the boat with me last night. His mom booked a trip for him to catch his first dolphin, he even went out and bought a new "dolphin shirt" for the occassion from World Wide, it was nice and white. Forgot what a what a new "white shirt" actually looks like.

I called his mom and told him that we would not be doing an early morning trip, but rather a late in the day trip, as the dolphin bite was extremely slow so I wanted to change it up and go at night and see if I could find the fish at dark. I told her I would do my best to catch him his very first dolphin, talk about pressure(laughing). Hit the reef first for Yellowtailing, he did not seem to like yellowtailing one bit, as his mind was "dolphin".

I made the mistake of having the radio on at 4:30 PM, sweating to the oldies and I mean really sweating under the heat on the reef. Capt. Skip's fishing report came on he said "no fish" for him and the ones he did find would not eat. Austin heard the report, put his Yellowtail pole down and went to the front of the boat and sat down with a blank stare, you could just see dissappoint it in the kids face. His brother was passed out from Dramine that his mom gave him before he got out on the boat.

At 5:30 PM, pulled the reef gear and decided to give it a try and was hoping the fishing gods heard my pray to catch this kid a dolphin. At 7:30 PM, the sky clouded over so I decided to fish an area north of Molassas in 270ft.

At 7:45 PM, the short left snapped hard and there she jumped. Did not mess around and got the nice cow in the boat quickly. Austin got his first dolphin. Turned the boat in for home at 8:15 PM. Austin's white shirt was no longer white.

What a trip and the beer tasted cold at dock.

Replies

• waterman419waterman419 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Glad it worked out.... nice job. At least you were willing to take on the challenge. :fishing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AMERICAN WATERMAN. Life on the water. Developing gear for people who live the waterman lifestyle : 954-295-1911 or e-mail: [email protected]
  • CaptBillCaptBill Posts: 271 Officer
    Well Done! Really a lot of pressure when a young angler and his Mother are fully expecting you to find fish.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice! :beer

I'm gonna stick to the reef for a couple of days. :grin

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Honestly, is there anything better than putting a kid on a nice fish? GREAT job!! Pretty bold move fishing late. I don't think a lot of folks do that and I've always wondered how consistent it might be.
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    This time of year I tend to move towards the night bite when the phin fishing has been consistantly slow. The phins are loaded with triggerfish(lockjaw) right now as they were at the exact sametime last year.
  • Chewdog2121Chewdog2121 Posts: 469 Officer
    You are exactly right Captain, the schoolies that we did get on board Thursday were puking small triggerfish.
  • lwrenlwren Posts: 142 Officer
    Not hit or miss but worship to the gods of fuel (80 to 100 gallons some days but the results are most rewarding along with depths close to 3000 foot) this time of summer along with an early starting time while the water is still cool and the fish are active. A really good pair of field glasses helps along with the first mates eyes of a hawk. With the gulf stream over 16 miles from the reef line I dont even start to look around untill 600 foot of depth. Caught very little on derbris as the migrating larger fish were my target as they move in samll packs (bull and his cows). Slick calm days with no wind do not produce a steady bite. Every peice of weed and debris is filled with bait and lots of smaller dolphin! We manged some nice fish last week but it took a lot of hunting to find them. I think it a matter of the "Right Piece of Debris along with putting the miles in".

Nice catch and I am sure that young man was very happy!

We had this young lady reel in the bull for her first ever dolphin Thursday last week.

And these two for Friday the next day,
    Thanks Larry
    First Choice Islamorada Fishing Charters
    305-360-4900
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KeyzNCKeyzNC Posts: 143 Officer
    We were out Saturday came upon 23 HUGE Schools and they had lockjaw like you wouldn't believe. It didn't matter what you threw at them they wouldn't eat, was stumped for a minute til all of a sudden you saw tons of triggerfish swimming around. The worst part was there was a good size bulls (approx 40#) just chilling at the back of the boat. ALways next time
    Nicole
    RF Outfitters
    Custom Fishing Apparel, Specializing in Sublimation
  • cblddtcblddt Posts: 126 Officer
    That's when you get the spear gun out and get in
  • gatormonroegatormonroe Posts: 198 Deckhand
    cblddt wrote: »
    That's when you get the spear gun out and get in

I don't usually carry a spear when I'm offshore. Does a flare gun work as well?

Great report. Even I felt bad reading about him in the front of the boat. I could just imagine the look on his face when that dolphin hit.
  • KyleStyleKyleStyle Posts: 426 Deckhand
    Good Job, Capt. You made that kid's trip!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I don't usually carry a spear when I'm offshore. Does a flare gun work as well?

Great report. Even I felt bad reading about him in the front of the boat. I could just imagine the look on his face when that dolphin hit.

MAybe a reason to start bringing a gun? i felt the same way reading the story. Great job!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Great catch Larry! Very nice.
    lwren wrote: »
    Not hit or miss but worship to the gods of fuel (80 to 100 gallons some days but the results are most rewarding along with depths close to 3000 foot) this time of summer along with an early starting time while the water is still cool and the fish are active. A really good pair of field glasses helps along with the first mates eyes of a hawk. With the gulf stream over 16 miles from the reef line I dont even start to look around untill 600 foot of depth. Caught very little on derbris as the migrating larger fish were my target as they move in samll packs (bull and his cows). Slick calm days with no wind do not produce a steady bite. Every peice of weed and debris is filled with bait and lots of smaller dolphin! We manged some nice fish last week but it took a lot of hunting to find them. I think it a matter of the "Right Piece of Debris along with putting the miles in".

Nice catch and I am sure that young man was very happy!

We had this young lady reel in the bull for her first ever dolphin Thursday last week.

And these two for Friday the next day,
  • FishinNoleFishinNole Posts: 407 Officer
    Great job. There is nothing cooler than a kid with a smile on his face while catchin a fish.