how far offshore

Coming up in August for vacation and was wondering how far in miles do you have to go offshore for grouper? I know the water there is shallower than here in Bradenton, we have been getting some nice gag's starting at ten miles.

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,461 Captain
    You can find grouper in 8 ft of water, which is about a 10 mile run. Only 2 problems: they don't bite much during the day until fall and the floating grass over the summer makes trolling nearly impossible.

Figure on at least a 30 mile run from the outer markers in August unless you want to fish at first light in the AM.

You'll catch a lot more reds than gags in 40'-60' of water in our area. Unlike further south, it's harder to find sand bottom than live bottom at those depths.
  • windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Thank you for your input, very informative. Wow, 8 ft at ten miles, that would put you in 40 ft here. We like trolling early morning because it seems that you will only catch Gag's trolling, some grass, depends on wind and tide's. We will be staying at relaxing Yankeetown and may head south for some scallops, was wondering about offshore as we did not do too well fishing inshore last year. But then again, as long as we don't run aground, a week on the water is not a bad thing! : )
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,550 Captain
    where ya goin? Some areas are not as bad as others. Cedar Key is closer to deep water.
  • windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    we're just on vacation going whever! Staying on the river in Yankeetown.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,461 Captain
    It's worthwhile making the longer run to deeper water up here. Even in August, the grouper fishing is much faster than what you are used to doing further south. Hard bottom is also a lot easier to find.

Yankeetown is a bit different than further south in the Big Bend. There are 25'-30' rocky areas that are only 10-15 miles out that are trollable. You can locate these on a standard chart. Weeds aren't usually as bad in the area off of the Barge Canal channel. Don't expect the fast action of later in the fall, but you can probably get into a few gags early in the AM. But for fast action, mostly with reds, you need to make a run to at least the 50 ft areas and bottom fish.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,022 Officer
    PM contact made and then Email sent with info.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!