best chum methods for yellow tail

I've heard of a lot of crazy methods but just looking for some guidance from the masters other than just putting out a couple of chum blocks..
yellow corn- oats- glass minnows. etc...
what is the best/ most effective way to stretch your chum.

Much appreciated...

Replies

• greenchicknfarmergreenchicknfarmer Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I am no expert but was very successful this year using some sand and oats in the mix. We mixed about 1/3 heavy dry sand with 1/3 melted chum and 1/3 oats for our last two days on the yellow tail. Throw it just occasionally to keep them interested. We also used a frozen block in the bag all the time.
  • waterboywaterboy Posts: 68 Deckhand
    What greenchicknfarmer said, and you can also add rice to the mix.
  • chiliandochiliando Posts: 609 Officer
    Don't add corn the the mix. I researched this a few months ago and since the fish cannot digest it, it can kill them. Mix your slop and throw in the first. Then let your bait drift back with the slop. With chum, more is good so make sure the wholes in the bag are big enough and that you always have chum in the bag.
  • Vaca FritaVaca Frita Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    I am no expert but was very successful this year using some sand and oats in the mix. We mixed about 1/3 heavy dry sand with 1/3 melted chum and 1/3 oats for our last two days on the yellow tail. Throw it just occasionally to keep them interested. We also used a frozen block in the bag all the time.
    x2, but I like to sandball with my bait also, works great
  • WhitnerWhitner Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Just put 2 to 4 blocks out and keep a good chum line flowing. Use chum cages and not those bags. You can't get a good enough line going with the bags.
  • Bill WelderBill Welder Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    FWIW:
    I don't know about yellowtailing in Miami, Key Largo or the upper or middle keys. I do know about the lower keys and points west. You do not need oats, corn, sand balls, rice, melted chum or any other kind of slop to make a mess to catch flag yellowtail. A cage with a block or two flowing and multiple types of FRESH bait is all that is needed with the proper presentation.
    Keep it simple in deeper water and they will come.
    www.CaptainBill.net
    Island Charters
    "Key West...Where the weird turn pro"
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,280 Officer
    +1. Just buy the chum blocks down there and forget the mess. If you're that anal about chum then buy a couple different brands/types and tie one off to each side of the boat. We usually take 6-8 blocks out with us and almost always bring back a couple. Yellowtail are not picky about chum.