Anyone use a Garmin 76c?

And have you tried to *manually* input lat and longs? I have tried the tricks on the internet to no avail... :huh
somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
IBEW LU 433

Replies

• SouldeepSouldeep Posts: 269 Officer
    I was going to suggest HomePort so you could use you PC to input the data but according to the Garmin site the 76c is not a compatible device. No help from me as usual...
    Pro Line 251 - 225 Optimax
    Fisher 1754 - 60 Merc

2 boats is 2 to many and at least 1 shy of enough
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,670 Captain
    Maybe use the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Garmin Communicator Plugin, if you haven't checked that out yet, as it allows transfer of data from a PC.

[/FONT]I'm not sure about the 76C but I believe it has an USB port.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Garmin 76Cx ? Have you tried using the MOB to mark location then edit Lon & Lat. If it is a "Cx" you should be able to use "Garmin mapsource" and make any waypiont, or even make a map using google earth.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    I really hate the arrows on all the units these days, I would much rathre have a keypad with numbers you can punch in instead of arrowing around all over the place. PITA.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Yes a keyboard would be a great thing. With all the wireless keyboards available you would think the GPS manufacturers would get with the 90's and make that work!
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • sEA aRKERsEA aRKER Inglis fl.Posts: 122 Deckhand
    I have a 76, I think they work the same .I'll give you my e-mail via a PM
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,770 Captain
    Thanks. Kinda strange to have to arrow to a spot on the map and then save, and then edit, and then...... Jeesh, I won't buy another one of these....
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Some say editing GPS data on the computer is more better than "GPS ~ texting". I had a GPSMAP 76 and I think it was pretty close to the GPS 76. It came with a PC data cable and the Garmin MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager software. It was old school in that it had a serial PC connection. I still have the PC cable, a serial to USB patch cable and the user manual (PDF file). You could take them a for test drive if you ever get up around the Williston area.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Interface-Cable-Units-010-10141-00/dp/B00005B8M4

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-Serial-Converter-TU-S9/dp/B0007T27H8

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSource-Trip-Waypoint-Manager/dp/B0001KFLOY

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-MapSource-Topographical-CD-ROM-Windows/dp/B00004Z0C8
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,673 Moderator
    Like said , you have to point to a random spot and edit the lat and long to the numbers you want to add.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • floating docfloating doc Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Timely post. I want to put some numbers in my old Garmin 76. Thanks.
  • Rookie77Rookie77 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    It is actually pretty simple, but they don't typically provide good instructions.

Option 1--Marking your current location: Hold down the "Enter" button until it marks the location and shows a page with current coordinates and all the info. You can name the point here if you like.

Option 2--Mannually entering coordinates in order to navigate to them: Hold down the "Enter" button until it marks the location and shows a page with current coordinates and all the info. At this point edit the shown coordinates to those that you want to enter. You can also name the point, change symbol, etc. here.
    Rookie77 wrote: »
    It is actually pretty simple, but they don't typically provide good instructions.

Option 1--Marking your current location: Hold down the "Enter" button until it marks the location and shows a page with current coordinates and all the info. You can name the point here if you like.

Option 2--Mannually entering coordinates in order to navigate to them: Hold down the "Enter" button until it marks the location and shows a page with current coordinates and all the info. At this point edit the shown coordinates to those that you want to enter. You can also name the point, change symbol, etc. here.

OK, I can get to here. The issue is the lat long numbers won't change, delete, etc. I researched the map datum and such and all seems correct. Seems something is locking that section out. :huh
    IBEW LU 433
  • WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 193 Deckhand
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    OK, I can get to here. The issue is the lat long numbers won't change, delete, etc. I researched the map datum and such and all seems correct. Seems something is locking that section out. :huh

[size=+2]You can lead a fish to water ... [/size][size=+4]But you can't make it drink.[/size]
    Just-kidding.AKA.The-Joker.gif
    ... Just Kidding ...

According to the user manual you use the rocker key to [highlight]highlight[/highlight] the data field you want to change and then press the Enter key to alow you to change the data. It also said something about needing a GPS position fix for being able to use the "hold down the Enter key" method of "adding" a waypoint.
    Click to enlarge ...
    GPS-76-edit-WP-tm.jpg
    yep, been there, done that. To Garmin I must go...:driver:
    IBEW LU 433
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    Another thing to note; I have the GPSMAP 76 not the c (color) one and it was screwing up, the screen would go blank with a line through it. I thought it was toast. For grins I called Garmin and they asked me if I had updated the softaware lately and I said, uh, no. They gave me a link to the update and I downloaded it and they thing is working like new again.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    surfman wrote: »
    Another thing to note; I have the GPSMAP 76 not the c (color) one and it was screwing up, the screen would go blank with a line through it. I thought it was toast. For grins I called Garmin and they asked me if I had updated the softaware lately and I said, uh, no. They gave me a link to the update and I downloaded it and they thing is working like new again.

Thanks. That's where I am headed...
    IBEW LU 433
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    surfman wrote: »

A related note: I've got an older Garmin eTrex handheld and the screen was going totally nuts, with lots of lines across it. Found some post on the net that it's due to bad electrical connection at some of the pins to the display. Recommendation was to hold the GPS with both hands and twist it like a washrag. I had nothing to lose so I went for it; it works but needs to be done fairly frequently now.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,670 Captain
    drkptt wrote: »
    A related note: I've got an older Garmin eTrex handheld and the screen was going totally nuts, with lots of lines across it. Found some post on the net that it's due to bad electrical connection at some of the pins to the display. Recommendation was to hold the GPS with both hands and twist it like a washrag. I had nothing to lose so I went for it; it works but needs to be done fairly frequently now.

I have an eTrex as a handheld backup, and to turn it on, you have to hold the button down and hit the unit flat on a hard surface. Works like a champ after coming on. Back in the old Tandy computer days we use to drop the unit from a few inches height and it would allow the unit to boot...it's called the "TandyFix" when you do it now a days. It's all about the connections.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."