Is a Cast Net Carry-on or Checked Baggage

Ok, well the question is in the topic, flying out on US Airways in a couple of weeks and haven't heard if a cast net is a carry-on or checked baggage. I saw that a landing net is considered to be carry-on, but a landing net doesn't have quite as much lead as a cast net.

I figure someone on here has done this before me...

Thanks

Trev

Replies

• Mr-OrenoMr-Oreno Posts: 196 Deckhand
    I work at the airport. Check it in...
    WANTED: OLD FISHING LURES
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    I think I would check it. Imagine that thing falling from overhead! Outch!
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 641 Officer
    Crap, I was trying to avoid checking any baggage. Heck, I'm shipping my rods down if that tells you anything! It's cheaper to do that via FedEx than pay the $25 baggage fee each way. Yep, I'm cheap, what can I say! Hey, anyone got a cast net they aren't using July 24-29th around Siesta Key?
    Oh, thanks for the responses...I was just kidding about borrowing a cast net. I'll just sabaki some pinfish up from the point of rocks...
    I got 8 footer ill lend you but, I live in Polk. Ya cant have me 12.

Mark Twain
  • sanibel snookinsanibel snookin Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I always bring my fishing gear as a carry on. I put mt cast net and reels etc. in a 5 gl. Bucket with a lid. You can get a bucket & lid @ walmart for $3.00. Been doing this for 20 + years.
    Yeah, I was gonna put the net in my bait bucket and put that in my backpack along with my reels, snorkel stuff and towels. So I wasn't gonna have a loose cast net with me, it will be contained and with other stuff. I have a buddy who is checking with US Airways, but you can never have too many view points. Worse case I'll just FedEx it to Siesta Key and back.

Thanks for the responses though, them there TSA Agents are picky sometimes!

Trev
    Even when your 90yrs old in adult diapers. They probley thought she was packin a castnet. Shame.

Mark Twain
  • dorian kennedydorian kennedy Posts: 121 Deckhand
    I carried one onboard about 6 years ago. There is nothing in a cast net that would excluded it from being onboard, just a little heavy to lug around....
  • CarolinafshrCarolinafshr Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Trevfishin wrote: »
    Yep, I'm cheap, what can I say!.
    He's not cheap, he's just good at re-allocating money toward other items....like beer, new reel, beer, new rods, beer, yak rentals, beer....
    Yeah, but if I was really good at re-allocating money, I'd have a yak by now...got plenty of beer for the gas!
    Ok, just for clarification, I went through the airport with no issues with my cast net. I carried it on as carry on. The did inspect it, but it was no big deal.

Thanks for all the responses...