Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Vehicle shopping

2»

Replies

• BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Frank, I did not read the entire thread however in case someone didn't mention it one more deciding factor on which vehicle you should buy would be how you need to present yourself to your customers. I guess that would be determined to whom and what you are selling.

If you were selling farm equipment you could possibly be more appreciated showing up in a nice crew cab pickup. If you were selling IT a "yuppie" looking car. Or for instance if you were selling perfume then they use those pink cars.

Just joking about the perfume but you get the idea.
    :grin

You have to maintain the proper appearance for your clients. (If they are going to see your ride.)

I'm NOT a fan of letting customers see Salesmen in fancydancy (BMW) type cars...that's just me and it seems to work for us. To each their own...
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Frank, You know your clients but appearance may be more important than you think. Too flashy (as foot said above) and you could be perceived as "making too much money" (on them) too run down and they may think "Why am I dealing with this man, he must be a loser."

I know when I am selling homes I like to show up in a big dually truck. It helps to start to get the point across that I am a "hands on builder" that knows his way around the building business and not just a "sale person" that has never swung a hammer in his life and does not know which end of the shovel is up. When I talk about our quality construction compared to our competitors they believe me. Our competitors have "sales girls" that can not come up with the answers to the questions they are asked by waivering clients after they have talked to me.

Just Sayin........
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,296 Admiral
    If you buy a pickup don't buy an Avalanche they will kill you on mpg (I think I get around 12). I borrowed an Altima from my SIL in Tampa for a day & it was a sporty ride a lot of pep to it.
    I don't know how much what i drive up in will affect sales, likely little to none, not cold calling type of sales, more relationship building with a handful of key accounts. I might be looking at a 06 Tundra, my divorce atty, who i know well, is getting rid of his, been babied, service records, yada yada, and i can pay cash for it (i refuse to finance a vehicle). Might only avg 18mpg, but...

That sounds like a winner, paying cash for a used one which has been babied, jump on it like a 2 dollar hooker
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 402 Deckhand
    I'm with BF on this one
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    I'm NOT a fan of letting customers see Salesmen in fancydancy (BMW) type cars...that's just me and it seems to work for us. To each their own...
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,268 Admiral
    Bigfoot wrote: »

I do not buy from sales people in high end vehicles. Also do not buy from women wearing seductive clothing. Fancy vehicles tell me you need high commision, seductive clothing tells me product is crap, over priced or she dont have no idea on what she is selling.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,080 Admiral
    x2.u can never go wrong with a tarus,love the tdi engine not sure of maintence cost though.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    Corolla, all day long...

I gave my old 1990 to friends of mine as it turned 250,000 miles...
    I saw that car last weekend with265,000 miles... Still runs solid as ever did...

My 1989 corolla has 157,000 miles on it... I dig it...
    And...33mpg...
    God, save the South!
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    I have no problem buying/dealing with sales guys in high end cars. If they're willing to hustle enough to afford it, then they'll hustle to keep you happy & take care of you.
  • PineywoodsPineywoods Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Frank if you need a truck you need a truck. I've thought about buying another vehicle for when I don't need the truck but what I'm finding is I can buy a lot of diesel fuel for the price of another vehicle and insuring it
  • UgahewesUgahewes Posts: 5,322 Admiral
    I have no problem buying/dealing with sales guys in high end cars. If they're willing to hustle enough to afford it, then they'll hustle to keep you happy & take care of you.

well said
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My sales guy earned his Commssion and I was glad to pay it...1st NEW car bought since I bought a brand spanking new one on my own dime at 16
  • KnuckleheadKnucklehead Posts: 1,418 Officer
    That's exactly what i decided... i'm going to buy Caroline (my soon to be 16 yo) a good, used Volvo, and when i need to make road trips, i take the Volvo... I have to go with something that is safe in a crash for her, my twins totaled 3 vehicles, and nary a scratch. Buying my atty's babied 06 Tundra double cab Ltd, 90k miles on it, ton of life left in that truck.
    Don-Knotts-don-knotts-22921303-197-200.jpg