Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Vehicle shopping

I got confirmation last night i have a new job, a independent sales rep for my current employer (great opportunity), but it's goodbye to company truck and company gas:cry

I have always had a pick up, and owning a nursery kinda need one, but gas prices are going to only go higher, so mileage is important, thus would entertain a SUV. One odd thing i noticed is the mid sized pick ups get less or the same mileage as the full sized:huh

Anyway, any advice / input would be helpful, and try to keep Max's sexual identity confusion out of this thread:grin
Don-Knotts-don-knotts-22921303-197-200.jpg

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    Will you be hauling things or just going place to place?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,383 Admiral
    Toyota Camry if your serious about "making some $$$"...

IMHO, Independnet Reps keep all cost down as straight commish usually takes some time to build a book of business....

Now, if you want to FAT CAT around as a Rep and hit a lick now and then - get what YOU want and HOPE you can keep all the plates in the air...

Signed: you don't strike me as the Sales kind of guy, but good luck - rise and shine 3 calls by 9
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    Convertible Lincoln with suicide doors or a long Cadillac.

Park the truck and pick up a Camry/Accord/Taurus type car & hit the road. Straight commission or salary plus?
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 602 Officer
    Is image important for these sales, and will the customers see your vehicle? That makes a difference because it matters whether this is a purchase of a fuel efficient vehicle for work image for personal image or otherwise?
    Almost all trucks and SUVs will top out mileage in low 20s road, but if you really need one then that is what you buy. Not fuel efficient, but the cost may be worth it.
    On the other hand, if I was buying for comfort, good fuel economy, and value I would look at a Camry, an accord, or a Nissan Altima. The new Camry hybrid is particularly good and it doesn't scream "tree hugger" like a Prius does, which I know would hurt you.
    I have four Hondas in my "fleet" and I like them, but there are many good sedans and coupes out there.
    Luck,
    EJ
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    Kia Optima . 32 mpg average town and highway mixed . 34-35 mpg straight highway .
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Captain
    A Mini Cooper ought to be perfect for you.
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • KnuckleheadKnucklehead Posts: 1,418 Officer
    It's a guaranteed 2 year contract at a draw that covers current salary plus all expenses, only way i would do it as my market area is underdeveloped, but i've been in that market area for over 20 years, a lot of already established relationships... and BF, you obviously don't know much about me if you think i'm not a 'sales guy'...

A viable option is to buy a older truck and rent a car for when i hit the road, i will not be on the road every week, actually not on the road a lot.

I have a mental hurdle about driving a small car though, saw my daughters total 3 vehicles (2 titans, 1 volvo) and not have a scratch, so logic tells me to not be so concerned about a little mileage but be more concerned about safety.
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 360 Deckhand
    I bought a 2010 Ford Escape with a 6 cyl. and it has been very dependable and it gets good mileage. I usually get 27-28 around town and just over 30 on the road. It's not sexy, but it may serve your purpose.
    On a totally serious note, stay away from the Ford Fusion if you do consider a car. I have one issued to me by my Company. The seats are uncomfortable, vision is impaired by the rear view mirror and rear headrests, A/C must be charged with the most earth friendly refrigerant 'cause it takes forever to get cool, and the car just feels "cheap". Can't complain about the mileage though. The four banger gets around 33 mpg.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    I swallowed a very large dose of pride and am now driving a Nissan Sentra.
    It was bitter, but over the last few months I really enjoy the car and $avings.
    I still have my truck when I need it and I'm not loading the miles up on it.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    It's a guaranteed 2 year contract at a draw that covers current salary plus all expenses, only way i would do it as my market area is underdeveloped, but i've been in that market area for over 20 years, a lot of already established relationships... and BF, you obviously don't know much about me if you think i'm not a 'sales guy'...
    A viable option is to buy a older truck and rent a car for when i hit the road, i will not be on the road every week, actually not on the road a lot.

I have a mental hurdle about driving a small car though, saw my daughters total 3 vehicles (2 titans, 1 volvo) and not have a scratch, so logic tells me to not be so concerned about a little mileage but be more concerned about safety.

Glad to hear I was off base, confidence is key as you know
    go get em Tiger!!! Nothing better than closing new business and seeing repeat customers based on your efforts...anyone can be an order taker, but selling starts when the customer says NO

Good luck, Frank - let NO ONE out work you period.

Signed: Used Camry
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I swallowed a very large dose of pride and am now driving a Nissan Sentra.
    It was bitter, but over the last few months I really enjoy the car and $avings.
    I still have my truck when I need it and I'm not loading the miles up on it.

feels good after you get it down, actually
    My next car will probably be an Altima.

neighbor covers 5 States by car, he's on his second one - loves em! He is a selling MACHINE! I like Camry better myself, but whatever - the daughter was gifted a Altima one time by us...pretty dang sporty ride for 18k brand new IMHO. Tried to steer her towards the Yota, didn't work.
  • locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    Cars are for going from point A to point B. If you need a car to say something about who you are... that already says a lot about you...

Make of list of what you need and then what you want ... Find a car that fits your needs first, and wants second.

If you hate it, its just a damned car, get rid of it and find another.
    I was told by an expert mechanic and business owner that the Nissan drive train is better than the other Japanese makes.
    I was told by an expert mechanic and business owner that the Nissan drive train is better than the other Japanese makes.

I was told by an expert mechanic and business owner that the Toyota drive train is better than the other Japanese makes...funny.

We have Yotas in our Fleet, we introduced the Altima this year - now everyone wants a dang Altima.
    I believe you.
    Some folks like the oval and some folks like the bow tie..That's why they sell the rams.
    I believe you.
    Some folks like the oval and some folks like the bow tie..That's why they sell the rams.

The Bentley Dealer here is NOT hurting...either.

Signed: Eco my Boost, loving my 1st truck since High School....the carpet is so soft.
    I know someone who just purchased a Bentley from that dealership...CASH!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG

With that said it sounds like you wnat/need a truck for local every day trips work and personal and prefer a car for on the road work. hard to beat a Chevy truck or if you can go smaller (no heavy towing) a Toyota truck, like the SR5 or the like.

Do the math and rent a car when needed or buy a used accord, VW Jetta TDI diesel or a kia sorento.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    I'm really looking hard at the Jetta Sportwagon TDI... i have a Sequoia with 244k miles on it, was going to let my soon to be 16 yo have it (big, heavy, and safe) and i can use it when i need to hook up a trailer to haul something... A car really makes more sense, if nothing else i can buy a beater truck to knock around the farm with, or a Mule type ATV, hmmm, that may make the most sense
  • locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    A friend of mine has the Sportswagon, he got the manual thinking it would be sportier, he is sorry he didn't go auto. The gearing in the auto is better for highway...
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,268 Admiral
    Look at the area you will be traveling and where will you get what ever you choose fixed on the road or will you have to have it towed a great distance. No matter what you get, they all break some time or another.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    We have fleet altimas, camrys and accords and taurus usually 2-3 years old & 50-60k miles. Sometimes the fleet manager will sell them at good rates and sometimes not. Pm me an email address if interested and I'll send you a list of what we currently have, if anything.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    My FIL has been leasing them for years and will have nothing else. Daily driver for MIL and he still has his 1988 Nissan p/u but they travel a good bit in the Altima.
    Nissan changing over to the newer body style on the Altima, I think in 2006 or07 hit it out of the park...just like Ford has done now on many makes. Saying that, if I had 1 car to buy based on bang for the buck and reliablity still go Camry.

I'd stay away from the TDI myself as the VW brand can be pricey to work on -

Signed: my son's Tauras has 140k on the clock, check those out too.
    The Maxima is one sharp looking vehicle but I've never had any luck with Nissans.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Frank, I did not read the entire thread however in case someone didn't mention it one more deciding factor on which vehicle you should buy would be how you need to present yourself to your customers. I guess that would be determined to whom and what you are selling.

If you were selling farm equipment you could possibly be more appreciated showing up in a nice crew cab pickup. If you were selling IT a "yuppie" looking car. Or for instance if you were selling perfume then they use those pink cars.

Just joking about the perfume but you get the idea.
    :grin

You have to maintain the proper appearance for your clients. (If they are going to see your ride.)
    I don't know how much what i drive up in will affect sales, likely little to none, not cold calling type of sales, more relationship building with a handful of key accounts. I might be looking at a 06 Tundra, my divorce atty, who i know well, is getting rid of his, been babied, service records, yada yada, and i can pay cash for it (i refuse to finance a vehicle). Might only avg 18mpg, but...