rigged ballyhoo? can you help me.

im new to rigged ballyhoo and been looking up videos to learn how to setup a rigged ballyhoo with the copper wire and the chain bead trolling hooks, was down in islamorada last week couldnt stop it from spinning. does anyone have a real detailed video or detailed step by step on ways to riig this or other styles for rigging ballyhoo, oh and a friend told me he uses rigged squid for fishing in dolphin tourneys how would i rig a squid. tired of catching peanuts or no fish at all. please help me? by the way fished of alligator for a few days and only caught 5 fish guess its just a diving destination, every time ill put a line on the bottom i get get rockked up, pretty nice bottom their but no fish.
:fishing
OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13

Replies

• El PescadorEl Pescador Posts: 186 Officer
    I love rigging swimmers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fLFLtrgx6s
    have a look at that video.
    aslo on youtube just search for ballyhoo rigging.
    There are tons of videos to help you out
    El Pescador formerly known as "El-Pescador"
    Original FS member since before Al Gore invented the internet.
    Previous post count 14,125,253
    Oh and "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
    Doug Larson"
    fspicbanner-1-1.jpg
  • Mellow YellowMellow Yellow Posts: 112 Officer
    IM SENT
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,025 Officer
    im new to rigged ballyhoo and been looking up videos to learn how to setup a rigged ballyhoo with the copper wire and the chain bead trolling hooks, was down in islamorada last week couldnt stop it from spinning. does anyone have a real detailed video or detailed step by step on ways to riig this or other styles for rigging ballyhoo, oh and a friend told me he uses rigged squid for fishing in dolphin tourneys how would i rig a squid. tired of catching peanuts or no fish at all. please help me? by the way fished of alligator for a few days and only caught 5 fish guess its just a diving destination, every time ill put a line on the bottom i get get rockked up, pretty nice bottom their but no fish.
    If they are spinning, the throat of the hook is pulling on the bait and the bait is not being pulled by the nose. Quick fix is to cut the bait a little foreward of the hook.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Yep make sure there is a little slack in the bead chain between the hook and the copper wrap. Also break their back and pinch from their stomach back to their **** hole to get the crap out of them.
  • waterman419waterman419 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    why don't you post a pick of your rig next time and the gallery will have look ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]AMERICAN WATERMAN. Life on the water. Developing gear for people who live the waterman lifestyle : 954-295-1911 or e-mail: [email protected]
  • brendon94brendon94 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    The easiest ballyhoo rig by far i have found anywhere and you cnt beat it for $8 a piece you can use them as many times as you want used them for the first time on thursday trolled all day n didnt lose any baits due to wash out or spining, and this is my first time rigging ballyhoo. After you break the ballyhoos bill and clear the eye socket it literally takes 20 seconds to rig a fresh bait. They have surface runners that set off a nice splash, n deep divers that swim at 4 feet under the surface. Let me know what you think of them, heres the link ----> headstart.htm

by the way the only place i know of where to buy them localy is at the dusky sports center by bass pro on old griffin road.
  • brendon94brendon94 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    http://www.fishing-catalog.com/tackle/headstart.htm

sorry forgot to post link this is it.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,728 Captain
    Good advice in this thread already. My only suggestion is to lose the bead rig. They typically place the hook too far back (increases chances of spinning) and are notorious for failing on a large fish.

Here's a pretty good video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0W62kuIZ0M The rig works without the weight. Just changes from a skipping to a swimming bait. (Note - get good at rigging the skipping baits before trying the swimming baits or you'll just get frustrated)
  • king fisherking fisher Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Great stuff!

I copied all the links for future use on all the different ways of rigging ballyhoo...
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    thanks everyone, now i need to buy some ballyhoo and try all the rigs, the pin rig looks good but i want something i can make.
    You can make the pin rig if you have a crimper. Here's a close up of the way I make them.
    P3270585.JPG

You can also make the same rig using #7 wire and the only tool you need are your hands.
    You can make the pin rig if you have a crimper. Here's a close up of the way I make them.
    P3270585.JPG

AND you can set the pin crimp as far "forward" as you want which sets the hook back.
    P3270585.JPG

You can also make the same rig using #7 wire and the only tool you need are your hands.

what size hook do you use and how do you attach the wire. other than that looks really simple will attemp this with 100lb diamond clear blue mono, oh the most important thing is what is the right speed for trolling with this technique
    might have to get larger wire and bigger hooks, should be good thanks, realy appreciated
    I use 7/0 or 8/0 Super strong depending onthe size of the bally. The pin is a piece of #8 electrical braided wilre. Crimp it where ever you want it so the hook exits where you want it.
    Speed is 4-6 mph
    MGD wrote: »
    I use 7/0 or 8/0 Super strong depending onthe size of the bally. The pin is a piece of #8 electrical braided wilre. Crimp it where ever you want it so the hook exits where you want it.
    Speed is 4-6 mph

Pretty much the same here except the pin. I use #14 leader wire and bend it into an "L". It's easier if you pre-cut a bunch of these and store them in a pill bottle or baggie.

The copper wire is attached just by a haywire twist with one wrap behind and one wrap in front of the pin so that the wire stays in place.
  • 30LB PIN FISH30LB PIN FISH Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    there s a great article in the florida sportmans july 2011 issue with pictures and captions!
    "time well wasted"
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 642 Officer
    Guys, you'r making this far more complicated then it needs to be. Simply take some 60# wire, take a 6/0 or 7/0 needle eye hook and tie a haywire twist and leave the tag end sticking straight up (about an inch). Wrap some copper wire around the twists leading up to the tag end and insert the hook under the gill plate of the ballyhoo into the stomach cavity and bring out the hook point at a place that places the tag end under the lower jaw of the bally. Break the end of the beak off and pull it (with skin of the beak) off the beak (this makes it easier for the wire to seat).Then push the tag end up through the lower and upper jaw of the bally, push the rigging wire through the eye socket, and wrap it down the beak (around the leader and beak). Be creative and insure a firm wrap so that the hook doesn't move. Everything should be in line to create a straight bait which will pull through the water without spinning. With practice this should take less then a half minute to do. Before you begin, squeeze the guts out of the bally by squeezing down the stomach from the head to the ---. this will inshure that the bait will troll for hours without washing out. You can add trolling feathers, lures, or skirts to the leader for additional attraction. I find that naked baits catch just as many fish.