What happened to all those that posted to this forum a few years ago?

It was not unusual for 20-25 posts per day. Did everyone get mad or did they start posting to other forums?

Replies

• BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    I have often wondered why the Panhandle section is so slow myself. There are just a handful of us around that post reports.

Let me reverse the question......if you have been around for years, why just one post?

Glad to have you aboard!
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    That's Interesting.

I am kinda new here, but didn't realize that this region was more active before. I have thought the Panhandle Region is lagging in traffic and even moreso when you consider the Fishing Hubs that are contained within the Panhandle.......Port. St. Joe, Panama City, Destin and Pensacola.......There should be a whirlwind of fishing talk in this Region.

Invite some of your fishing buddies to join and post up. Post some reports and send your buddies a link to the report in an email. If you go on a trip with someone post a report and get them to view it hopefully they will realize there are GREAT People on here and want to join.

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    Being able to bottom fish year-round sure helped!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    Being able to bottom fish year-round sure helped!

This and we have been in a bad economy now for a long minute!
  • lindalinda Posts: 130 Officer
    A lot of the Pcola guys post on the pensacola fishing forum also with facebook, I know I get lazy and post there & wont write a fishing report on the forums very much like I use to .
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    It would kinda make sense to me that if Bottom Fishing Seasons and the Economy had the effect of slowing participation on the Panhandle Region, that they would have the same effect on other Regions as well. Based on the number of boats that go out of Panama City, Destin and Pensacola with the intent of fishing, a post/report every other day is pretty lame.

I do know that people will go and be where they are made to feel comfortable and Welcome. The very high majority of people will participate in something constuctive, fun and worthwhile and if the enviroment is good most will become part of it.

I don't know....but it would be an idea to me that something has happened here to alienate members to the point they left and went elsewhere. Forums are not alot different than other gathering places and the forums that attract members, are a good experience and have something to offer will have the particiation.

• BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Garbo wrote: »

I don't know....but it would be an idea to me that something has happened here to alienate members to the point they left and went elsewhere. Forums are not alot different than other gathering places and the forums that attract members, are a good experience and have something to offer will have the particiation.

I agree, and I think there has been some improvement over the last year.

I think people need to feel like their reports are valued and participation is welcomed.

We have some great catches like PH80's that get lots of attention (well deserved). However, the small catches like mine:), don't get near as much attention (human nature). PH80 and a few others are have been making an effort to comment on the "average catches" lately, but I would still love to see more participation from everyone.

We have a few driveby posters......guys that post up a good catch of their own but don't take time to comment on anyone else's posts. If you can take the time to post a report, you take the time to comment on someone else's report too!

We also have guys that catch fish, but don't report at all. I get emails and PMs of your catches, which I love, but post up a report too......you know who you are :).

Last summer I posted a couple reports that nobody responded to. Why post them if nobody cares? Again, I think we have made improvement here. I try to respond to all the post, if for no other reason than to let the poster know someone is reading. Hell, I love to see everyone's reports, average or great. I love fish stories, fish pictures, and boat shots too.

I like to hear when you guys are working on your boats too. Post them up in the Panhandle general info section or something......I love to talk boats, but check the PH forum more often than the general boating forum.

If you catch 1 fish or 100 know that I want to read the report, and I am sure I am not alone!
  • upinthewaterupinthewater Posts: 202 Officer
    Beck, Well put. I agree on the forum support for our panhandle, and I've been a member of this forum for years even through the new forum format. Not that I'm a daily reporter by any means, but always enjoy all the stories and pics on this web site (even when I don't post). When I need to get my fix (when the fishing jones hits), this is the forum I go to.

I also think PH hit the nail on the head, years ago we fished year round, and since many of us spend a majority of our fishing time bottom fishing (at least by the majority of reports we see here) that probably impacts us. But you know - this is our forum, and feedback good or bad is always a way to make things better.

There are many times I live vicariously through the reports we have on this forum especially when I am away, it is always great to know even though I can't go get some, it is great someone else is. So I wouldn't place a value on someone's post based on the number of replies, it is always getting quietly viewed and enjoyed...And yes, although quick to view what is easily accessible, I know I can raise my hand as one that can get lazy writting a report and clipping in pics..Maybe my next one will have some improvements :)

Good news is we are all still here :).
  • donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Deckhand
    :Agree 100%
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    What happened IMHO, was when traffic really picked up, naturally trolls showed up, words were said, moderators moderated, feelings got hurt. Then FS sold out and changes started happening in the mag and the forum, new rules, perceived tyrannical moderators, members being banned, harsh words toward the Wickstroms'.

The final act of douc*ebaggery was when the forum was "reformatted" and the archives were gone, forever. That was a insult, a wealth of information flushed into cyberspace.

It's kinda like when you get bad service at a establishment, you take your business elsewhere and it takes a long time before you return, if ever.
    It'll take a while, but the traffic should return, just don't hold your breath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Kanaka> what's happening?

This should have been posted in the PH gen.

I sort of get a chuckle of those that reach out to distant people to make friends but the ones just around the corner are hid from. :grin
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Split, scuff any paint off the lower unit yet???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,784 Captain
    Probably in line with the economy, but I remember a number of long range posters (like to the floating oil rigs for tuna, wahoo, etc) that can't really afford to run to the rigs from Florida anymore because of the fuel expense. They would also pick up a good box of bottom fish that aren't in season but a month or two anymore. Then we had the trolls who were always busting their chops because they weren't catch & release, fish weren't big enough, probably over the limit, etc. If you have to justify or defend every post, why bother.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    kanaka wrote: »
    Split, scuff any paint off the lower unit yet???

Took care of that the first day down in St. Joe. I've been good ever since! :)
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I moved to the Northeast Florida area.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
    United we stand and divided we....oops this isn't politics.
  • PCFisherPCFisher Posts: 269 Officer
    I just wish I could get out and fish more, if I fish from my kayak I don't take a camera.
    Tod
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 547 Officer
    Still giving the fish sore-mouth (trout/bream) just about every week, and only check the forum every once in a while. Like others, I really do miss the archives.
    OD
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    What happened to Ron-da-vu? That wasn't that long ago and he was always good for a report.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • PennFishPennFish Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    What happened IMHO, was when traffic really picked up, naturally trolls showed up, words were said, moderators moderated, feelings got hurt. Then FS sold out and changes started happening in the mag and the forum, new rules, perceived tyrannical moderators, members being banned, harsh words toward the Wickstroms'.

The final act of douc*ebaggery was when the forum was "reformatted" and the archives were gone, forever. That was a insult, a wealth of information flushed into cyberspace.

It's kinda like when you get bad service at a establishment, you take your business elsewhere and it takes a long time before you return, if ever.

Good post and right on spot add the picture police with; that fish is to big, to small, to many, just any reason to bitc*. It got to the point that it wasn't fun to post a report, either no replys or bad mouthing.
    When that happens people pack there do-do and go somewhere else, to many fishing forum that want you post.
    It would be nice to regain what we had but it's going to take time, I still only check in here ever few day not 6-8 times a day like I was but then I've only been around through 2-3 crashs say for 10 years now.
  • wahoowacker01wahoowacker01 Posts: 1,470 Officer
    I have often wondered what happened to Tarpon007, Ferris, Snapper Slapper, Mark,<cannot remember his SN, he Dtand his brother, his daughter Sammie came up and hunted with me. DT2 i know, RustyNole i have known for years. Just hoping all is well.
  • addicted2reelinaddicted2reelin Posts: 137 Deckhand
    I have often wondered what happened to Tarpon007, Ferris, Snapper Slapper, Mark,<cannot remember his SN, he Dtand his brother, his daughter Sammie came up and hunted with me. DT2 i know, RustyNole i have known for years. Just hoping all is well.
    I hope all the old forum members are doing well and maybe they will start posting again. And thank god for the few that are still posting on the PH, if not for them the PH would be dead.just saying
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    I used to post here previously under a different Name. Just rejoined a few days ago. My old login wouldn't work.

I live in South Central FL now, still have family in Panama City, so thought I would check things out.

I figured there would at least be some of those Alabama, Auburn, FSU and Florida football discussions starting up by now.

Really haven't been fishing much in the last few years, economy killed off two jobs and had to sell the boat.
    and who were you?

We ran college sports out of here. :grin
  • SLW210SLW210 Posts: 2,226 Captain
    I were Beach _Cruiser
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    Well, as a Gator fan, there's not a whole lot to talk about these days. ;-)

Between their performance these past few years and my ever-growing fondness of deer hunting, football has taken a very distant backseat to the woods.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Old ForumOld Forum Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Most people went elsewhere - the format changes are responsible for most of the flight.
  • redneckbaitflingerredneckbaitflinger Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    The good ol' days. Miss em bad.

Don't get to fish near as much as I used to, but did make it down to the beach 3 or 4 times this year to play around in the bay.

Still cruise by here from time to time to see what's going on in the old playground.
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Probably more than a few reasons. Ferris is active on the NW forum. Also it seems at one time there were more than a few Air Force types involved and you know how that goes. Here one day gone to where ever the next. Stamas was active here for a long while and he is local to PC, but lately I've been seeing him on NW. Me, mostly NW these days. Those guys have it pretty much together. Sharkey's Way, where did he go? There's more.

tk
  • alabamaoxalabamaox Posts: 51 Deckhand
    What happened IMHO, FS sold out and changes started happening in the mag and the forum, new rules, perceived tyrannical moderators, members being banned, harsh words toward the Wickstroms'.

The final act of douc*ebaggery was when the forum was "reformatted" and the archives were gone
    , forever. That was a insult, a wealth of information flushed into cyberspace.

THIS