12 year old catches Sailfish from kayak/beach

My 12 year old son, CJ, caught a 7-8 foot long Sailfish this week during a family vacation to Seagrove Beach. The attached pic shows the fish. He and I were pulling a needlefish om 80# fluoro leader behind our kayaks about 3/4 mile offshore of Seagrove beach when the fish hit. After fighting it for about 20 minutes out of the kayak, we paddled back to the beach to land it.

There is a YouTube video of the catch that one of the beach-goers took: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l09itJy1R5A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Man my son is pumped. I have fished in the Gulf for 20 years and never seen a Sail but had heard they were out there (and sometimes came close to shore). I still can't believe it. Just goes to show you that anything can happen fishing!:cool:
Cheers-
Chuck

Replies

• crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    awesome job!!! you or your son will never forget that one! Did the release go well? Couldnt tell from the vid
    :fishing:grin
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,407 Captain
    We need a "Like" button on this forum.
    That was sweet!
  • CHMCHM Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Yes, the reply went great. She kicked multiple times as we pulled her out past the sand bar. My son grabbed her bill at that point and "pulled" her one last time. She kicked a few times and glided out into the blue. That was one of the besthigh fives of my life!
    "release", not "reply"
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Great job....that's awesome!
  • FishingAddictFishingAddict Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Amazing! Catch of a lifetime at 12 years old!!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    That's pretty awesome! Great that you got the last little bit on film, too!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • lindalinda Posts: 130 Officer
    Congratulations!!!! Memory of a lifetime!!!
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    That is a memory both of you will carry for the rest of your days. Really cool. Congrats!
    Hey y'all, thanks for all the great posts. It means a lot among us fishermen. Tight lines!!!
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    Sweet!!!! :applause How many jumps and how close to the yaks? Nothing like looking UP at a fish in the air.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 744 Officer
    Great catch and release for you and the son.
    Thanks for all the well wishes! Good stuff. My son is still on cloud 9! To answer the question: The Sail jumped about 10 times right after he hit (maybe only one or two times more than my son and I did when he hit!). What was really amazing was that the initial hit was barely a bend in the rod (an 8 ' rod) as we were pulling the needlefish. My son said "Dad, I think we have a hit". Well, seeing as we were in Kingfish territory and most "hits" are a pretty loud "song" I was skeptical, but when I turned around sure enough the rod was bent about 1/3 of the way. I was like ****?!? That's weird...like a remora bite. So we reeled it in and I was thinking the needlefish would be cut in half, right? Nope...not a scratch. At this point, our kayaks are completely parallel and about 15 feet apart with very calm, clear water between us. We are staring at the needlefish that should, by all acccounts be cut in half...or at least have a few big cut marks on it...but not a mark on it! Weird. So, we are sitting there kind of like "weird", when all of the sudden this huge Cobia comes crashing between us and slams into the needlefish...but wait, I then realize it is WAAAY to big/long to be a needlefish...and by then it has inhaled the bait and is heading for the southern horizon...and then the circle hook sets and it is to the sky with a series of 6-8 tal walking jumps that start no more than 20 feet from us. CRAZY. So, needless to say it was a really exciting hook-up. Cheers!
  • Capt. Andy TaskerCapt. Andy Tasker Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Nice work! Well when people get there first sailfish the fun part is throwing them in the water back at the dock. But your kid was in the water with the fish. I bet you kid is on cloud 9 and showing all his friends the video. Great work!