Homemade Pizza

FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
Wife picked up some pizza dough from Publix. My job was to roll it out and make it round in shape. :grin

Not as easy as you think. She took over from there.

Onion and banana peppers from the garden along with sausage and pepperoni. We forgot some fresh tomatoes from the garden. Maybe next time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• Stape5612Stape5612 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    That is a nice looking pie you have there!!

I am starting the journey to creating my favorite crust from back up in Western PA. It is a thin flakey, almost pie crust style crust that cooked just right have a little doughy but cooked consistency in the middle.... Makes my mouth water just thinking about it....
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Nice.....got a couple to make tomorrow.

I had some friends over not long ago, and everyone got to make their own pizza. The kids loved it. So, I invited them over for a fish fry tomorrow, but one of the kids is begging to make another pizza. I guess I will fire up the bread machine and make him some crust!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Beck wrote: »
    Nice.....got a couple to make tomorrow.

I had some friends over not long ago, and everyone got to make their own pizza. The kids loved it. So, I invited them over for a fish fry tomorrow, but one of the kids is begging to make another pizza. I guess I will fire up the bread machine and make him some crust!

I noticed in another post you said you do pizza on a gas grill. Is that correct?
    I do need to thin the dough out a little more. We ended up with more of a deep dish style as it cooked, but it was thoroughly done and the sauce was very good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Stape5612 wrote: »
    That is a nice looking pie you have there!!

I am starting the journey to creating my favorite crust from back up in Western PA. It is a thin flakey, almost pie crust style crust that cooked just right have a little doughy but cooked consistency in the middle.... Makes my mouth water just thinking about it....

This is just Publix dough here, but it seems to work well. She would love to find a wheat style dough though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would tell her to inquire with a Publix manager next time she is there..... I want to say our Publix has a wheat crust in the cooler section next to the regular ones. They might be able to start ordering one in if she requests it. I know mine will order products they don't normally carry if I ask them to.

I need to upgrade my grill setup. When Debby came through my grill was left uncovered :( It now has seen better days so I am gonna get a new gas and a weber to go beside it. With that being said and Pizza on the mind, I want to get one of these for the webers: Pizza Oven Inserts
    Either make one or just buy one to support an actual MADE in the USA product and business, just a little more expensive that I would normally spend.
    Stape5612 wrote: »
    I would tell her to inquire with a Publix manager next time she is there..... I want to say our Publix has a wheat crust in the cooler section next to the regular ones. They might be able to start ordering one in if she requests it. I know mine will order products they don't normally carry if I ask them to.

I need to upgrade my grill setup. When Debby came through my grill was left uncovered :( It now has seen better days so I am gonna get a new gas and a weber to go beside it. With that being said and Pizza on the mind, I want to get one of these for the webers: Pizza Oven Inserts
    Either make one or just buy one to support an actual MADE in the USA product and business, just a little more expensive that I would normally spend.

I've liked the way those Pizza Stones work. Got ours off eBay for pretty cheap too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• mako191mako191 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    What is your secret to roll out the dough into such a nice round shape, I always end up oblong with Publix dough and it keeps shrinking back
    mako191 wrote: »
    What is your secret to roll out the dough into such a nice round shape, I always end up oblong with Publix dough and it keeps shrinking back

If it shrinks back, cover with a damp paper towel and let it rest for 10 minutes. Try it again.
    mako191 wrote: »

:grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• castnet3castnet3 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Next time try some dough from Wally's....its in the frozen section but its better than Publix....GL
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,246 Officer
    Nice, Flash...

If anybody's interested, here's my take on pizza. I always have my homemade sourdough starter in the fridge that I use for yeast and flavor. The sourdough takes at least a couple days in the fridge to develop. Regular active dry yeast works faster. Rapid-rise works fastest, but doesn't seem to have the best flavor.

Pizza

Great Pizza starts with a great crust. Start the dough a day or more ahead of time. Use about 4 cups of bread flour to 1 1/4 cup of pure, lukewarm water. Put the water and 3 cups flour in a big bowl (I use my stand mixer.) Add 4 tsp active dry yeast (or instant) and a tbsp of kosher salt (not regular salt - it will be too salty). No sugar needed! Mix for 1-2 minutes, then cover and rest it for 20 minutes to hydrate. It will look like a heavy batter. Start kneading on low. After 5 minutes, increase mix speed 1 or 2 clicks. Add remaining flour gradually over the next 3 minutes. Knead another minute or two. Dough should be forming a wet, soft ball. Rest it another 20 minutes, then pour it out onto a floured baking mat. Hand kneed for 5 minutes, dusting in a little flour as needed so it’s not so sticky. Form into a ball, dust with flour and smooth. Half it and put each half into a lightly oiled round plastic container with top that’s at least twice the size of the dough ball. Close and put in the fridge for at least a day but not more than 5. It will develop flavor and rise slowly while in the fridge. The longer it sits the more flavor it will develop. Go get a pizza stone if you don’t have one!

An hour before pizza time, put your stone on oven rack with rack on lowest position, move the other rack to the highest position or out of the oven entirely (you may want it out of the way, but I move it to the top and put another stone on it.) Put dough on stovetop, turn your oven up to the highest heat (usually 500-550), rise the dough, and heat the stone(s) for about an hour.

Meanwhile, get your sauce and toppings ready. After the rise, flour your baking mat, turn out dough. Using fingertips, press around, out and up, to spread and form an edge. Stretch to size by pulling around the formed edge. Rolling or pressing the dough too much will flatten it (bad!) When you have it to size, about 14 inches diameter, dust lightly with flour and move to your peel or pan. Some people use corn meal on the peel. Shake the peel a few times to make sure the dough slides well and isn’t sticking. QUICKLY sauce and top your pizza, shake peel occasionally to loosen and make sure the dough still slides freely, then place into the oven by sliding onto the fully heated bottom stone. Remember, don’t let it get stuck on the peel or it won’t slide off right - disaster!

Top with fresh sliced Italian plum tomatoes, or use canned whole, squeeze out seeds, then blend, and strain well of any excess liquid. Sprinkle a nice pinch of rubbed dried oregano, fresh pressed garlic and a little fresh grated Parmesan or Romano. Add grated or sliced fresh whole milk mozzarella and 6-8 whole fresh basil leaves. I like a sprinkle of kosher salt. This is your basic Margharita Pizza. If you want, add two or three other toppings. Bake directly on stone for 8-12 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is puffy and lightly browned around the edges and on the bottom.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

Well, well, well. Look what the tide brought in. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hossmoss that is an awesome Pizza dough tutorial... I am going to have to try the over night (or 2) resting/development time.... I have always been an instant let it rise for a couple hours kinda guy but always open to better ways!
    Trying a honey whole wheat crust tonight.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,416 Captain
    Yeah I had a hard time rolling out the Publix dough, too...like trying to flatten a rubber ball. It tasted great once I got it into pizza-like shape
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Good sauce recipe?
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    mikev wrote: »
    Good sauce recipe?

I use a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce or tomato purée. I add to it a tablespoon of Italian seasoning, a table spoon of garlic powder (not garlic salt), and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Warm over low heat to a slow simmer. It's best if you have time to slow simmer for a while, but I never do.

You may adjust the spices a bit. I don't actually measure.....just pour some in my palm. Also, some Italian seasoning is much stronger than others. I bought a brand not long ago, I had to use double the amount.

It's so good I could eat it by the spoon full, and is so much better than pizza sauce from the store. Leftovers are good to dip bread or crust into!

Here is the honey whole wheat from tonight.....made the dough in the bread machine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343607225.265495.jpg
    mikev wrote: »
    Good sauce recipe?

So far we have just been trying several different types from the stores. The last one we tried was Classico Traditional Pizza Sauce and was quite good. Our favorite so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]