No more snapper or jacks for now... plans?

So, snapper are closed and no jacks for now. You guys going to go target some groupers and shoot for a mixed bag, or are you just going to sit this weekend out.

Looks to me like a pretty good weather weekend, and after last weeekends butt kicking I'd sure like to get back out there. Problem is, wife and others are heck-bent on trying to eliminate the few remaing scallops over in PSJ.

My vote is to hit some nearshore stuff for a kings and a few groupers and then hang out at the island.

Anybody want to meet up early afternoon at the island?
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    If I can find a crew I am going to look for some good Grouper, hopefully like we found on Monday on a 3 1/2 hour trip.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,726 Captain
    My goal is to get the boat, trailer, & gear ready to trailer to Marathon for 5 weeks of lobster and spearfishing for grouper, Mangrove snapper, Muttons, & Hogfish. Anybody in the area from August 4 til Sep. 8 give me a shout for beer & a tall tale :beer
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    I would love to go pick up some RG and GG....maybe a few Dolphin, but it looks like its going to be early October for me.......

......on second thought, I am going to try and fit in a weekend trip. Hope I can!

Meanwhile, y'all have fun and be safe!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    My vote is to hit some nearshore stuff for a kings and a few groupers and then hang out at the island.

Anybody want to meet up early afternoon at the island?

better have more than a water melon...just sayin! And where's Mahi?
    Split Shot wrote: »
    And where's Mahi?

Couple weeks ago schoolies were all over the weed lines to the SW at 15 miles or so. Looked like the weeds were breaking up some my last trip out.
    BTW I'd never have hit St. Joe till late August for scallops. This year may lend itself to a different situation but haven't been convince thus far. Girls will always want to go no matter what! Plan A sounds good to me.
    Beck quit slobering!

Talking about MahiWahi!
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Beck quit slobering!

Talking about MahiWahi!

Ohhhhhh! My bad!

You should have referred to him as Mr. Wahi......
    Wat? since when? :grin
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    We fished the 1st,2nd,3rd,7th,8th,14th,15th. My wallet is empty and Bonnies (stepdaughter) tuition and apt rent is due 8/1 so i am gonna work some OT and resupply the bank account. Destin Rodeo is coming soon and so is our bow season. Wifey and i are gonna shoot down when schedule permits but not for a while. We wish yall a safe and fun time on the water! GOOD LUCK
    Jimmy
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Well, I think our plan is still to fish for a while and then hit the island.

We'll probably be at "The Point"... the last little cluster of boats where you can get real close to the hill and still be in enough water to float a boat that needs 2-3' of water.

This is me below. If any of yall are out there, come stop by. According to Googe Earth, we should be at 05.477 and 40.616 by around 1:00 or 2:00pm.

headedout.jpg
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    Ah I gotcha, now I understand why you are always saying you are just sitting on the back porch.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Klinger wrote: »
    My goal is to get the boat, trailer, & gear ready to trailer to Marathon for 5 weeks of lobster and spearfishing for grouper, Mangrove snapper, Muttons, & Hogfish. Anybody in the area from August 4 til Sep. 8 give me a shout for beer & a tall tale :beer

Our crew will be down there for the week of Labor day... from 9-1 through 9-8... gonna be in marathon as well. We do this every year and it is my wifes favorite trip! We usually just lob hunt as the offshore bite is usually a little slow that time of year. Keep us posted when you get down there and maybe we will see ya in the conch repub
    :fishing:grin
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Oh yeah, I though you were going gator scouting this weekend Blair?
    :fishing:grin
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    My gator partner cancelled. He just got a job offer in SC and is in the middle of getting his stuff together. We're still going to hunt, but there's not going to be time to scout.

Klinger, you and I have already spoken, but before you get gone, lets talk again about the keys. I'll be in Duck Key from 8/18 through 9/2.

CRC - you going to St Joe on Saturday?