Fishing pressure at Isla Blanca, Mx?

flycasterflycaster Posts: 47 Greenhorn
My buddy and I are now considering going for week's fly fishing trip to Isla Blanca for baby tarpon and snook. One of our concerns is just how many guides run this trip during the year (especially in May). For if there is a reasonably big number, it may indicate that the tarpon are very well educated and thus make for difficult fishing. So, if anyone has first hand knowledge, or an opinion, I wouldn't mind hearing from them.

Replies

• clouserclouser Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I can't answer your question, never been there. But you can read a short report about someone who just fished there
    on CapMel.com, Fly fishing forum. They fished one day and had some success with Tarpon and bones. They even got a
    couple of shots at permit.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    The fishing in Isla is excellent. In May you should have multiple opportunities at grand slams on fly. Only thing that might be scarce, is snook. I think the guides like to look for them more toward Wintertime but I do not understand this and will be looking for snook, or places to catch them, more on an annual basis.

Off Isla Blanca, it is possible to run into pods of big tarpon on the outside. But this is not as reliable as in Florida. You might be better off gearing down a bit and concentrating on the smaller fish, 10-50 lbs. in the lagoons. This way you can be in bonefish and permit territory (or at least close to it) at the same time.

The real crying shame about that area, is that some of the prettiest flats are those that surround Isla Contoy.....and that whole island is off limits to everyone, except those on specially permitted eco-tours. Boats aren't allowed within like 2 km. of the shore and the area is heavily patrolled.

In terms of pressure, I can't answer that either. But there are plenty of places to fish. Go now, because it remains to be seen how long this will last. I have been hearing reports from people who have fished Ascension Bay and they say the fish aren't eating. Of course there could be myriad reasons as to "why," but fishing pressure over the decades sure could be one of them.

The thing that bugs me about Isla Blanca, is that the guides all run 18' Pangas with engines in the 60 hp. range. I believe Mexico also has a rule saying that all guide boats have to have 4-stroke motors, but I admit to not knowing much about this. The point is, that all these "companies" are American owned and they charge almost the same price for a day of fishing in Isla Blanca as one would pay in the Keys, where the guides have $50,000 skiffs and frequently make substantial runs to the best flats. American gas is also at least $0.60/gal. more expensive. Sorry for the rant.
    .......Rick
  • flycasterflycaster Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Hey Permit Rat, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. We're really not interested in the big tarpon. We want action (particularly top water) and the babies can certainly supply it. An occasional bone or permit certainly can make things interesting. And of course, we do expect to hunt for snook, also. Understand your rant and and you are excused (LOL).