intro & question re. Overstreet Ramp in MB

Guys,

Been following the forum for quite sometime trying to learn some things from the more experienced among us. Recently got a Username and wish to join in. I'm trying to piece together some good fishing from my varied freshwater experience and limited salt fishing experience. I'm an avid fly fisherman (avid as in have gear and love going, but do not go as much as I would like). I've been trying to find some productive waters with conventional tackle, but hope to do some fly fishing soon. I'm also a new boat owner - (20' Edgewater inshore bay boat). I have really enjoyed getting out and knocking around in the bays - with the exception of running from a waterspout bearing down on Crooked Island on the morning of the 4th. Good story. During the week of the 4th we did a lot of boat riding and some fishing with success limited to our last morning when we got our limit of Spec. Trout (2 boated and subsequently released over 22"), and a rogue Pompano in a nearby locale.

For those familiar with MB - I've been eying the ramp at Overstreet and wondering if you guys might know if it would provide adequate depth for an entry into the flats on the outskirts of East Bay? I'm not running in a skiff, so keep that in mind. ANY advise or experiences would be appreciated. I've never been back there before.

Thanks for any input - much appreciated.

Replies

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,145 Admiral
    It's been a while (like 8 yrs) but there was no problem in an 18' Action Craft. They have a new ramp there now that I'm not familiar with but the waters are deep enough for you. Have you launched that boat at Research Rd Crooked Island? That can be tough and haven't tried in my bay boat.
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Thanks - maybe I will give it a shot...
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Have you launched that boat at Research Rd Crooked Island? That can be tough and haven't tried in my bay boat.

No, I have been running there from MB, but do know people who put in 21' boats without issue.
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 540 Officer
    I fish out of Overstreet in a 19-6 KW Bay/reef and have no problems with launch and recovery except for having to be especially mindful of pieces of rock around the edge of the ramp. It's an easy run to East Bay, but if you are coming from the west the Calloway, Cooks Bayou, and Sandy Creek ramps would be shorter.
    OD

LANDINGOVERSTREETDOUBLE09TXTRS800.jpg
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Have you launched that boat at Research Rd Crooked Island?

Tan, you should have no problem launching from Research road into crooked Island. I launch a 22' Shearwater from there several times a year. That will keep you in the Crooked Island Bay System. Sometimes makes it easier to jump outside if it is calm. Just beware, go straight to the opposite bank and follow the channel which is over there. That will get you out to the deeper water and then the channel into the big portion of the tide is out as well. If I am fishing East Bay I generally launch from Callaway. It is not that bad of a run getting to Sandy Creek area.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,145 Admiral
    Launching at Research Rd ramp can be difficult during a high tide as far as reaching the drop off.