Yetti Screws rusted out...

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
Has anybody else had this problem? I noticed last time out that the screws that hold the lid on had all rusted out! a couple of them are sheared off at the cooler and there are spider cracks around the hole and rusted remnant. I can't imagine a costly product like the Yetti using non stainless hardware but it sure seems that way. Should I fill the holes with 5200 or something similar and re drill, or use the old holes and replace with stainless?...thanks michael

Replies

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Why not give Yeti a call? Worth a try. They replaced my 65qt after almost 2 years without hesitation because the top was clearly defective (foam collapsed inside from sitting on it).

http://www.yeticoolers.com/site-information/warranty-request-form/
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,723 Captain
    Stainless will still rust if it stays wet for extended periods. I put just a bit of RTV silicone on every screw I replace. It seals it and prevents water from penetrating and eliminates rust.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I'm not sure on that intrepid. Quality 316 stainless really shouldn't for the most part. The ladder in my saltwater pool has not rusted in 7 years. I also tested one of my stainless dive watches in a cup filled with sea water for weeks. No rust. If, however, the alloy is not to perfect proportions OR not passivated properly, it will then rust. Almost all stainless now comes from, you guessed it, China. Major problems with their junk. Just ask the president of Gem Products who I have had personal contact with over this issue. Sad.
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    I would call yeti and see if they will replace it or send you screws to replace the rusted ones.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I used the warranty form provided above and will follow up with a call in a few days. I'll go the the lot tomorrow and take some pics to send them if necessary. Does anyone know how to remove seadek from the cooler top?
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Stainless will still rust if it stays wet for extended periods. I put just a bit of RTV silicone on every screw I replace. It seals it and prevents water from penetrating and eliminates rust.

exactly. Stainless steel = stains LESS than other steel. It isn't called stainproof steel but that would be nice. :-)
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    I heard from Yeti right away. They asked to see pics of the damage which I will send them. I don't see why they do not use delrin or some other kind of synthetic screws to avoid problems like this? They seem like a customer service oriented company so I'm hopeful they will make good on their product.
    I sent the pics off to Yeti and then I called Tyler at Castaway customs to find out how to remove the seadek from the cooler top. During the conversation he told me Yeti has had so many problems with their fiberglass 60 qt cooler they discontinued making fiberglass coolers at all. I went to their website and sure enough they were gone. If you have one of these you might want to keep an eye on the screws and the lid for spider cracks and splits. The sizes on the new Tundra model is either 55 qt ,65 qt, they are smaller in height than the Fiberglass models and are significantly cheaper. I checked the price on my boat receipt and I paid $450 with lifetime warranty from Frank when I bought the boat.. The only one that comes close in price and dimensions is the 110 qt and that's because of the thickeness of the walls yet the warranty is only 5 years and costs $429. Since I use it as a casting platform as well the height has some significance and the 110 is the same height as the old 60 qt. I'll wait to see what the folks at Yeti say and let you all know.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,723 Captain
    You're working too hard. If you like the cooler, clean up the rust with FSR. Get new high quality stainless screws. Stick 'em in Silicone and tighten everything up. You'll be good for years.
    You may be right. They offered me a 50 0r a 65 qt but they are both 2 inches shorter. I have a real bad back and arthritic knee which makes it very painful to sit low. I'm waiting to hear back from them on how much they want to upgrade to a 105 qt which is taller and deeper yet not wider. At first they told me my warranty was expired so I sent them my receipt. Let's see how they respond.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 935 Officer
    If they don't give you a new one, you can clean up that rust in a few seconds with any rust removal product. I would get high quality replacement screws (maybe one size or two larger if the existing ones don't bite, add some 5200 to the holes and tighten it up. Those screws used appear to be of a lower quality stainless. The best quality 316 stainless never bleeds with reasonable care. You probably got the 316 stainless screws from China.
    Hey Glenn! (Hi to Maria and the Boys)I just got things straight with Yeti. I'll be getting a new Tundra 105 qt as soon as I ship them my cooler. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I also called Tyler at Castaway Customs and he is giving me a replacement Seadek for the new cooler at a reduced price GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Of course the best IN THE BUSINESS IS OUR FRANK AFSHARI. Today is a good day!
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    MTD885 check your message board!