Bug proof my dog for Flamingo...

Question for folks who fish Flamingo with their dog. What do you folks use to keep the mosquitos and horse flies from biting your dog? Any organic remedies??? Thanks!

Replies

• Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 432 Deckhand
    Yeah, keep him in the egrets big front hatch while at the marina. Once you're on the water and on plane you're pretty much ok unless you get too close to any mangroves.

The bugs have been brutal so far this summer. After the FFT I'm not going back for a while. Gonna concentrate on Biscayne Bay.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,981 Captain
    Dogs get left at home during mosquito season, I'm afraid.... Just not something I'd do to them if I didn't absolutely have to. Night trips locally during summer but no backcountry trips until well into the dry season.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bababouybababouy Posts: 558 Officer
    when i take my two camping, I use skin so soft from avon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Night Hawk Monitoring
  • AmericanAmerican Posts: 130 Officer
    Try a full body condom.

I agree with Capt. Bob, no need to expose them to it.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    my dawg usually wears a buff, repellant, long sleeve shirts... oh wait, dog. sorry, I don't have a dog.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. As it turns out I bought a product called Bite Blocker which is advertised as "natural Deet". When I went to their website I read the ingredients for humans which turned out to be almost identical the formula for dogs...Hmmmm! I wonder if a woman was in charge of that one? So I bought the human formula and sprayed Abby Doodle from head to tail, myself and my wife, no George not my wifes tail...LOL Grand total of mosquito bites 3 on my wife 2 on me and I can't find any on Abby at all. So for you folks who are either, compulsive blood donors, or Flamingo guides I highly recommend this product. I don't think it hurt loading up on garlic the night before either! I got it through amazon.com