Livewell suggestions?

Hi all,

I own a small bay boat (17' carolina skiff) and have been fishing the everglades for many years. I just moved up to Dania beach, and I am pretty much a live bait fisherman.

The baitwell I have now is really small (<10 gal.) and I used it primarily for pinfish, so I had no real problem keeping them alive. Now that I moved up north though, I keep hearing that pilchards, mullet, etc. are more of the food option for what I'll be targeting (snook). With that, I was thinking of upgrading to a better livewell to keep my bait alive. Any suggestions into the shape, size, aeration parameters would be fantastic. Hope you guys could spare a few lines for me, and Thanks in advance!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Replies

• BobberBobber Posts: 887 Officer
    I use the 14gal Kodiak on my Whaler with a 750gph transom pump, keeps 2 dozen pilchies or a dozen gogs frisky all day. I believe BPS stocks them. Not cheap tho...you can make an effective baitwell out of almost any small drum or trashcan for relatively little money.

http://www.kodiakmarine.com/pro-flow.html
  • Tall TalesTall Tales Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    thats a pretty heavy duty pump, do you need something that strong?
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
  • BobberBobber Posts: 887 Officer
    The water intakes on the Kodiak wells are baffled, intake hose is at the bottom of the tank, the slotted baffle plate gently disperses the incoming from the bottom to the top of the tank without creating a heavy flow at any point. So I can change out hot summer water faster without stressing out the bait. Started out with a 500gph, the 750 is more effective.
  • Capt DCapt D Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    You want the well to be round or oval. No corners. After you have netted the bait and placed them in the well give them about 10 minutes to settle down and then replace the water with new salt water so to give them clean poop free water. If the mullet start to turn pink/red they are not getting enough fresh (salt) water. Go to a bigger pump or change out the water more often. I have a round 27 - 30 gallon well with pump that has been set up for snook fishing the bridges out of a vehicle for sale if you are interested. Capt D.