Yankee Capts 6/30 to 7/1 quality pickings and great fun

cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
At the last minute I decided to jump on the 2 day Yankee Capts trip. I did not have much time to go out and catch bait on my own but I did look for Gogs but couldn’t find them so I loaded with white bait, small runners, and dork jacks. Nilson (rare) one of my fishing buddies gave me some more bait including some pinfish and so I went on my way to the Keys.

The boat left at 10pm on a hot night and to hot days to follow. We started fishing about an hour or more before sunrise. First day was slow pickings but some quality fish in 120 feet or so of water showed up which was a great start for some. The current in shallow water was great but as the captain moved to 200 and up it was insane. We were close to the edge of the Gulf Stream I tried up to 18 ounces and would not hold. The Captain did a few attempts on water close to this depth but the current was too much. We had to fish shallow and even in the shallow water the current picked up.

You all know what happens when you are that shallow in the summer, YELLOW TAIL ATTACK! Many switched to catching Flag Yellow Tails, but to those that kept pursuing the muttons and groupers it paid off. Some nice Red Goupers, Black Goupers, and one Scamp were caught. I did ok, I got 11 Muttons 4 of which were 5 to 8 pounds the rest were in the double digits one was 18 pounds and another was 16 pounds which made me glad. I know Jarvis, Dom, and Daniel got some 20 pounders as well as 2 or 3 other people. On the jigs I got 2 kings a keeper AJ and an Almaco that was used for bait. I finished my snapper limit with yellow Tails from 18 to 22 inches.

I tried to get some more pics but you all know what happens when you catch a fish, you just want to continue catching. Went to the back with Daniel to take a pic with his nice mutton but it was already iced up. On future trips it would be nice if some of you stop for a few second and snap a few shots too. Pictures look great when a fish has just been caught. Here are some of the pics for your enjoyment:

My 18 pounder

My 16 pounder

I lost two big fish because of hook failure; word to the wise if a deal on the flea market looks too good to be true it might as well be too good to be true. I paid 2 dollars for 200 hooks. These two cause me 2 quality fish lost.

A very nice red

Another quality mutton

This boat came so close trolling one rod and it was only a couple of feet above the anchor line; I guess he wanted the GPS location.

Another quality mutton

Here is Bill with his Yellow tail

When the sunset came the Black Fins started to show and were all caught on bait, none came in with artificial. Also a Wahoo had shown up we threw everything at it but it was not interested.

Here is the NOAA field biologist doing his research.

This is this gentleman’s biggest mutton to date, he wanted a pic with the fish on Yankee Capts location so here it is, congrats on your nice catch!

Others may add to this report if they wish and a few more pics in here would be nice to see. Until next time!

Replies

• jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Very nice quality and great pics. The conditions look beautiful, it couldn't be any calmer. As far as stopping to take pics, I tell myself that every time I go. I just can't seem to make it actually happen. I always have a camera in my pocket the entire tip and only take one of two pics the whole time. I have zero will power when the fish are biting! Thanks for the report.
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Thanks Jake. It looked beautiful but since there was no breeze it was hot as heck just wish the current wouldn't have been as bad. Taking pictures is the kind of easy part (when you remember you have a camera in your pocket), getting someone else to take a picture of you is the hard part.
  • swinsond1971swinsond1971 Posts: 183 Officer
    Hey Cuda, great fishing with you man. Your pics came out great. You aren't lying man. It was hot out there with no wind. See you out there in the future.

Daniel
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Nice report and pictures...that heat was insane, the seas like a lake, crazy currents...but great company with a lot of laughs.
    Capt Bill
  • RareRare Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Nice work, Herb :fishing
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 793 Officer
    Man, those are slob muttons as usual! I'm not used to reading YC reports and seeing those slick calm conditions!
  • FingerlingFingerling Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Nice report and great pics....I know how hard it is to get someone to put their rod down to take a picture.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,398 Officer
    Nice report! It has me fired up for three day trip next week!
  • real crazyreal crazy Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Thanx CUDA! For the pics and the time to write the report.

Fishing was tough but no less fun. A lot of real quality tails took the place off mutts. But hard to go wrong. Tough current made fishing tough. But the light load and presense of my dad and a cool friend made it great. We made a lot of moves and the current was everywhere.

But we ended up with plenty of fillets. Laughs and good times.

It would be great if everyone would take pics as there are a lot of cool times!
    Thanks again guys. Always a great group of people and great fun when I fish on the Yankee Capts, catching fish is always a plus.

Always a pleasure to fish on your boat Captain Greg.

Real crazy, it would have been nice if that wahoo hit the flyer the same way as the last.

Good luck to all going on that super light limited load iron Man 4 day trip. They will be going with about 11 people tomorrow. Time for some to jump in. 4 days of fishing can get you plenty quality and fun!
  • flrangerflranger Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I've got my interests peeked by these posts, I have a few questions:

Do you use your own rods, terminal tackle, bait, etc or is it provided?

I see they have food/beer/etc available? Very important to know how much is beer? It looks like you cannot bring it which I understand. Are the ships prices reasonable?

I'm considering this over the next month (not sure if 2 or 3 day) and wondered if any moon phase is preferred. Would be driving down 6 hours and likely not catching my own bait on the way. Prefer as little hassle as possible other than pounding fish and filling coolers. Also curious as to whether the front or stern is best (and why so?). I've researched many of the past trips and it looks like very front and very back (typical) fill up fast.

If anyone out there has been recently and wouldn't mind chatting a couple minutes on the phone PM me, would love to get some quality advice to have the best trip possible.
    Hi flranger,

-First things first. Beer is $2.50 a can
    -Yes, they provide rentals, but most of us take our own gear
    -Yes, they provide bait, but most of us take our own
    -On a 2 day trip you can keep a 2 day limit on a 3 day trip you have more chances and can keep a 3 day limit of fish
    -Any moon phase is great just get more current on full moons but the current also depends on how close the gulf stream is so just jump on a trip that best fits your schedule.
    -Anywhere on the boat is great but the sides of it offer lots of shade, the stern is only favored when the tide is towards the back. The bow has no seats and you have to move every time they anchor or get ready to go to another spot.

Flagtails posted a great resource for those that need bait. Here is the link, but please read what he requested from people contacting these bait resources:
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?50859-Bait-Sources-in-S-Fla-and-the-Keys
    cudaman wrote: »
    Hi flranger,

-On a 2 day trip you can keep a 2 day limit on a 3 day trip you have more chances and can keep a 3 day limit of fish]

That's not true. It is a 2 day possession limit. Whether your there for 2 or ten days.
  • HooganHoogan Right on the edge of the EvergladesPosts: 515 Officer
    real crazy wrote: »
    That's not true. It is a 2 day possession limit. Whether your there for 2 or ten days.

It is a 3 day possession limit on a 3 day trip.
    Does not apply to all vessels but it does to the one in topic.

Regards, Art.

BTW. Great wahoo last trip, Congrats!
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 775 Officer
    That has changed too. In the South Atlantic party boats (not Charter Boats) can keep a 3 day limit if the trip covers three calendar days.

I will get the exact wording and post it. So no need for the internet police to start giving me crap.

Greg
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 775 Officer
    Here it is verbatim-

Snapper Grouper Multi-day Possession Limit

A person aboard a charter vessel or headboat on a trip that spans
    more than 24 hours may possess no more than 2 daily bag limits
    of species other than red porgy (red porgy limit is 3/day or 3/trip,
    whichever is more restrictive).

A person aboard a headboat on a trip that spans more than 48
    hours and who can document that fishing was conducted on
    at least 3 days may possess no more than 3 daily bag limits of
    species other than red porgy (red porgy limit is 3/day or 3/trip,
    whichever is more restrictive).
    These last few post brings up a good point with the regs today. I know by me that we usually check the regs everytime we go out because of the way they change and without notice and this just for recreational fishing. The list for charter(6pack) and head/party boats are always in flux and truely a royal pain in the *** to keep up with. HONESTLY WE PRINT A COPY OF THE RECENT REGS PRIOR TO EACH TRIP AND BRING TO ALONG SIMPLY BECAUSE WE ALL FEEL THAT SOME OF THE FWC CAN'T KEEP UP EITHER!

This subject is not a new topic at all and has been brought up before many times. Knowing how the Yankee Captains operate I have no worries when either a regualar customer on the boat or the Capt Greg and crew tell us what the NEW REGS are as you can see in Gregs first post about being new.

Times change guys and you sometimes almost literaly have to have a law degree to fish in todays ever changing times.

I am sure the last thing that the Yankee Capts operation would want to be out of compliance with current regs we all have to endure today. Especially given the fact that either NOAA or the FWC is always dockside when arrive back in port.
    Capt Bill
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    This subject is not a new topic at all and has been brought up before many times. Knowing how the Yankee Captains operate I have no worries when either a regualar customer on the boat or the Capt Greg and crew tell us what the NEW REGS are as you can see in Gregs first post about being new.

This is exactly why I posted it here. The last 2 trips a lot of the fishermen were confused(although compliant) about the regs. So what better place to have it posted. A lot of people read these posts that fish aboard but dont post. So it is a great source of information and has been for a longtime.

CUDA, sorry for the derail.

Art, thanx, but the wahoo that was swimming around the boat this trip was probly 50% bigger, lol, seriously.

Captain Greg, thanx for posting the rule, it helps out a lot of people.
  • Go Catch'nGo Catch'n Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Great report and nice pics. I might have to try going out with these guys one day. At least you had flat seas to enjoy.
    Why go fishing when you can Go Catch'n?

-Edward
  • lemonheadmechlemonheadmech Posts: 44 Deckhand
    cudaman wrote: »

This boat came so close trolling one rod and it was only a couple of feet above the anchor line; I guess he wanted the GPS location.

First of all looks like you all had an amazing trip and tons of fish. I can agree weather was hot hot hot and I was praying for some cloud cover and maybe some rain to cool off out there that sat, but hey thats the price you pay for flat seas.

Yah know we where out there on a private boat and had to deal with that dude in the photos aswell. The guy might as well crawled in the boat and wrote down the numbers off of the GPS himself he was getting so close. Course though it was sure nice to be anchored up in a spot all to ourselves catching some fish but you know what comes floating along and decides to anchor up in the same area; nothing other than a head boat!
  • ifishifish Posts: 132 Deckhand
    what kind of baits were you guys usiing?
    Thanks again guys.

Different types of baits; Fresh Gogs, Speedos, Blue runners, Ballyhoo, Kingfish, Bonitos, Pinfish, Flying fish all in chunks, strips, or butterflied.
    you forgot hamburgers...:rotflmao...what cudaman said!
    Capt Bill