Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

6/30/12 Jupiter bottom bumpin'

Plan today was to bottom fish, left all my trolling baits at home in case I got the urge (which i did). Wifey is getting tired of eating mahi (higher mercury level affects brain development in younger children), so I tried to switch things up. Got to Jupiter inlet at 7:15am. Flat calm, lots of boats out today.

Headed straight to green roof bait spot. We were the 26th boat to arrive. The sardines were everywhere, just be careful maneuvering around other boats. Got about 3 dozen sardines with cigar minnows mixed in in about 30 min.

Fished between 65-90ft between lost tree and juno pier. A lot of fish on the depthfinder. Drift was pretty fast all day today. Saw scattered weeds around 70ft with 2 free jumping sails in about 100ft. Heard couple of reports of nicer weeds around 700-900ft, but not much action around jupiter... Not many pics, just got one back at the with our "prized catches," (small one in pic was 17.5").

Got lucky and landed a mahi on a flat lined dead sardine. Never drift without at least one flat line out!!! Doesn't have to be with live bait either! Funny thing is, we heard it come tight, pull a little drag, but we left it in holder thinking it was a file fish or remora that was swimming around. 30 seconds later, a little more drag pulls. Decide to pick up rod after a couple minutes of there being a fish on and ends up being a dolphin!! How lucky (for us)?!

Tally:
3/3 big Bonita
1/1 file fish
2/2 remora
5/5 grunt
1/1 gray trigger
1/1 rainbow runner
1/1 yellowtail snapper
2/2 mutton snapper
1/1 mahi
0/11 lost rigs to bottom

All in all, fun day with my cousin and nice to change things up...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public

Replies