June 30th. Matlacha pass

Went fishing in the yak in matlacha pass for a couple of hours this morning on an incoming tide. Paddled out to Indian field first cast landed a small snook on storm chug bug. 3 casts later I get a little 21" red. 42570001-23ee-9c02.jpg So I'm not getting any more hits in that spot so a paddle a little bit north and start fishing a pass into the back bays and land another small red on my bagley gold hammered rattle spoon. This ones only about 17". 42570001-24d0-b83a.jpg I let him go and catch another small red on the spoon 2casts later. I start heading back to the launch stopping to fish some small mangrove islands on the way. I missed a nice little tarpon about 3foot long because he was tailing my lure and got too close to my kayak and spooked off. Didn't catch anything huge but still a fun day in my book.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Replies

• SeeingRedSeeingRed Posts: 312 Officer
    Good day to be on the water. Wish I could gave fished longer but I have family in town and its my birthday so everyone else has plans for me lol.

• CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Where did you launch your kayak? I'd like to fish that area out of my kayak as well but I havnt been up there before except by boat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,877 Captain
    Nice reds and happy birthday
    CapnAhab wrote: »
    Where did you launch your kayak? I'd like to fish that area out of my kayak as well but I havnt been up there before except by boat.

I launch right at matlacha community park. Theres a kayak launch on the left side of the park as soon as you pull in, you have to go behind the art league building.

binder077 wrote: »
    Nice reds and happy birthday

Thanks man I appreciate it.

• JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Nice Reds , I have noticed that when you see a **** looking speed up the bait , make it look scared , it usally turns them on
  • DemarzacDemarzac Posts: 204 Officer
    Even those small reds will hit spoons like a ton of bricks. Nice catch!
    "If you want to play an up-tempo, fast-skating game, we can play that game. If you want to muck and grind in the corners and along the boards, we can play that game too."-Famous Coach
    Demarzac wrote: »
    Even those small reds will hit spoons like a ton of bricks. Nice catch!

Yeah thats true. I'm always surprised when I land a red and measure it and its not 27" lol. They are little bulldogs and fight like crazy. Thats why they are so much fun to catch.

• bonitabobbonitabob Posts: 675 Officer
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    awesome post, nice pictures! Matlacha is one of my favorite places to fish, actually my favorite! Glad to hear you were killing them!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tight LoopsTight Loops Posts: 206 Deckhand
    That Matlacha kayak launch ramp is nice but I liked it better when it was my land and house before Lee Co. took it by eminent domain and forced me out to make a kayak launch ramp.
    Doodidle wrote: »
    awesome post, nice pictures! Matlacha is one of my favorite places to fish, actually my favorite! Glad to hear you were killing them!

Its my favorite too. I fish it 90% of the time.
    The other 10% I'm in PIS
    That Matlacha kayak launch ramp is nice but I like it better when it was my land and house before Lee Co. took it by eminent domain and forced me out to make a kayak launch ramp.

Are you serious?

Yes, Lee Co. said they had to have more boat and trailer parking and started eminent domain process. Matlacha community association objected to more parking and traffic. Not wanting to let an opportunity to force someone out of their house get away they settled on "green space" and later added the launch. It did not get them to their objective of more parking and was a crazy use of taxpayer's money to force someone out...IMHO
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,877 Captain
    Yes, Lee Co. said they had to have more boat and trailer parking and started eminent domain process. Matlacha community association objected to more parking and traffic. Not wanting to let an opportunity to force someone out of their house get away they settled on "green space" and later added the launch. It did not get them to their objective of more parking and was a crazy use of taxpayer's money to force someone out...IMHO
    Wow, sorry to hear.

Thats messed up. How long ago was this?

Now I'm gonna feel guilty whenever I use that launch.

Don't feel guilty...better a launch than a parking lot...but I do wish they had not taken it :kick
    Don't feel guilty...better a launch than a parking lot...but I do wish they had not taken it :kick

I dont blame you man. I'm sure that was an awesome place to call home.

• CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear that Tight Loops. Eminent domain is not constitutional and I am sorry you had to be another victim of our ever-increasing government that streches it's fingers unlawfully wherever it decides to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • DemarzacDemarzac Posts: 204 Officer
    CapnAhab wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Tight Loops. Eminent domain is not constitutional and I am sorry you had to be another victim of our ever-increasing government that streches it's fingers unlawfully wherever it decides to.

:thumbsup
    "If you want to play an up-tempo, fast-skating game, we can play that game. If you want to muck and grind in the corners and along the boards, we can play that game too."-Famous Coach