Fri. run offshore to see how Betty changed things

Tight Loops and I decided to do some bottom dropping with My Trophy on spots that had been good before Betty..We hit 4 or five spots From 18 miles 30 miles out..There were weed lines every where, the water was filled with sediment any kind of murky, birds and bait pods were scarce at best. Our catch small lanes ,grunts,white grunts.one Spanish,one shark,couple bite offs,live bait under a float no takers. Maybe 40 to 50 miles out it may be better??We decide to put our long run off for another 5 days or so till water clears.:shrug:shrug Sorry it was DEBBY
larrywitt

Replies

• goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    Went with the kids yesterday out to 67 feet. Same story - lots of smaller fish. The big fish were there, but they were not interested in eating. I'm assuming the silt is irritating them. I know they smelled my stinky squid bait... I was dropping it on their heads!

I wonder how long before the water clears. Visibility 16 miles out yesterday was 5 feet (~67 feet deep). Before the storm I was able to see the bottom.

A few known grouper haunts were empty. Even the red grouper weren't playing and we all know those garbage pails will eat anything.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,683 Moderator
    :rotflmaoMy wife is having a good laugh,, It WAS DEBBY NOT BETTY she is still laughing..:rotflmao
  • Tight LoopsTight Loops Posts: 206 Deckhand
    godfadda....just curious how did you know the "The big fish were there, but they were not interested in eating". I wondered that while out with Larrywit yesterday. Did they all move or are they just not eating.
  • namanutnamanut Posts: 66 Deckhand
    larrywitt wrote: »
    :rotflmaoMy wife is having a good laugh,, It WAS DEBBY NOT BETTY she is still laughing..:rotflmao

whats REALLY funny is my sister's name is Debbie and my mom's name is betty...i say either way he had it right!!! hahahahha
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    larrywitt wrote: »
    Tight Loops and I decided to do some bottom dropping with My Trophy on spots that had been good before Betty..We hit 4 or five spots From 18 miles 30 miles out..There were weed lines every where, the water was filled with sediment any kind of murky, birds and bait pods were scarce at best. Our catch small lanes ,grunts,white grunts.one Spanish,one shark,couple bite offs,live bait under a float no takers. Maybe 40 to 50 miles out it may be better??We decide to put our long run off for another 5 days or so till water clears.:shrug:shrug Sorry it was DEBBY
    larrywitt

Check your spots good , they may be buried . The last time the gulf was this stired up , new spots were uncovered and others were buried . Give it a couple more calm days and things will start to happen but realy check things out around the areas you know , other than that the inshore bite is on .
  • goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    I went to spots that I'm familiar with so I know what it looks like when they are home and when they aren't. I can tell ya the hard bottom areas I visited were all barren of larger fish. They were all holding tight to larger structure like artificial reefs and some high ledges. By big fish I just mean fish worth catching... grouper / snapper /etc. All that was eating were smaller, sabiki size grunts, tomtates, etc. I visited about 6 different areas from 35 feet to 67 feet. Gonna need to go much deeper to find good action, unless the silt dies down sometime this weekend.