USS Mohawk

I was wondering if anyone was planning on going out to watch the Mohawk be scuttled on Monday? I am considering trailering up to St James city to try to head out and watch. Does anyone know the details on where she is going down? Going to watch the weather and if I can safely get out there on my 24'er than myself and a few buddies are heading out.
http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.

Replies

• dktoothdktooth Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Check the New-Press online for details
  • Jeff AllenJeff Allen Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I am bringing my family over from the east coast to see it. The ship has a great history and now will provide great habitat for our fisheries.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,097 Officer
    where is it leaving from and how long do you think it'll take to get to there desination
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    I believe the Mohawk is over around Ft Myers beach currently. And I would guess they will leave with her Sunday or early Monday. Probably take them 6 -8 hours to get her out there. I think they are going to put her near Charlie's reef if I heard correctly. She is being sunk at 1100 on July 2. They are guessing it will take 3 minutes for her to go under once the charges are shot.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • etommy28etommy28 Posts: 311 Deckhand
    the mohawk is leaving tomorrow morning.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,097 Officer
    thanks
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,048 Captain
    11am Sunday - it is just now being hooked to the tug. News reports it will be a 6 hour + tow. Anyone have the GPS numbers where she will placed?
  • fishgutsfishguts Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    82°43'42.347"W 26°33'14.64"N They are advising that if you go to the sinking to monitor VHF channel 10 but do not transmit on that channel. Scheduled to go down at 11:00 am
  • KoogKoog Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    How close are they going to let people get, is it worth the gas and time?